Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

looking for help in Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 11:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just keeping this one alive. What are everyone's plans for the winter? Mine are--after getting situated in the new house-- to lighten the car up a little. Race brakes and pin-on hood. I'm trying to keep the factory glass as long as I possibly can. Then I'm gonna pull the motor to freshen it up, and swap cams (maybe go to a solid roller setup to get a little more RPM out of it)
Old 09-16-2009, 08:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My plans are to wash the bird before it gets too cold. I drove it today. Then a couple of coats of wax. Then I'm going to try this tropi-care paint sealer. Finally cover it to keep the dust off. Then when I get bored I'm going to lift the cover and give it a good vaccuming and cover it back up. In March I'm ordering some new tires that it desperately needs. If I get a chance I'm getting new drivers door hinges also.

Welcome to Bird family -Q-

Mrbravada. I think I've seen your car running around. Send them on over. I know a couple of gto guys. One guy sold his black gto and the other guy is out here in Eagle River with a blown black gto. I put together a gm group/club. I'll pm you for your info.

Last edited by Frozen WS6; 09-16-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:47 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had money left over for a ton of parts when I bought the car, so whatever I can't get installed relatively quickly I'll be doing this winter. Gears are going in Friday. I have LT headers and TSP catted-Y on the way, as well as a Magnaflow exhaust, lid, Shaner TB, short-stick, and some new decals to replace the faded red ones. And a CETA WS.6 badge. Should look good on the SOM paint. Hoping for a cam this winter as well..
Old 09-16-2009, 10:43 PM
9 Second Club

Nice. Congrats. Your not going to spray it are you?
That black CETA emblem will look good on the SOM. Don't forget the wideband so we can tune it. Richard at Hales Technical had ordered some this summer. I'm not sure if he still has any left. Thats who I'm getting mine from. Let me know before you go see him. He can be pickey or standoffish at times. I work in the same building.
How's the paint? If it need some cleaning up I can buff it out and make it really shine. Like my car.

Jmil. You need to update your words under your name to 9 second club. Then next year I want to see it saying "stock cube record holder".

Last edited by Frozen WS6; 09-16-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:32 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

No, no spray for me. I'll leave it alone after the cam until I can get a 9in and then do heads and maybe STS or a Procharger. Along with a lot of other upgrades, if I go the FI route.

Paint is in good shape. I do a lot of car detailing myself, so I'm going to dive into that this weekend with the Porter Cable. Interior is in fantastic shape. I'll probably tint it...that will look good with the SOM and the CETA badge, and then I got silver "Trans Am" and bird decals instead of red. Should clean up really well.

What's the deal with that Hale's place? Does he have a dyno? I heard about it before, but someone told me he was really high priced and kind of a pain to deal with...
Old 09-17-2009, 08:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by -Q-
No, no spray for me. I'll leave it alone after the cam until I can get a 9in and then do heads and maybe STS or a Procharger. Along with a lot of other upgrades, if I go the FI route.

Paint is in good shape. I do a lot of car detailing myself, so I'm going to dive into that this weekend with the Porter Cable. Interior is in fantastic shape. I'll probably tint it...that will look good with the SOM and the CETA badge, and then I got silver "Trans Am" and bird decals instead of red. Should clean up really well.

What's the deal with that Hale's place? Does he have a dyno? I heard about it before, but someone told me he was really high priced and kind of a pain to deal with...

Richard's a good guy. Wait until you meet him to make judgement.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:00 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
Richard's a good guy. Wait until you meet him to make judgement.
Alright, that's cool. Didn't mean to come off the wrong way...just what I'd heard. So does he have a dyno? Tuning?
Old 09-17-2009, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

He has a dyno, but doesn't really have the software to tune GM's. Talk to Frozen about handling that.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Frozen WS6
Mrbravada. I think I've seen your car running around. Send them on over. I know a couple of gto guys. One guy sold his black gto and the other guy is out here in Eagle River with a blown black gto. I put together a gm group/club. I'll pm you for your info.
Yea, Dean's got the blown one, and I knew Rob was trying to sell his after he bought the G8. We only got to the track once this summer, lol, and apparently I didn't know how to launch....
Old 09-17-2009, 09:04 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by -Q-
Alright, that's cool. Didn't mean to come off the wrong way...just what I'd heard. So does he have a dyno? Tuning?
I've known Richard a long time. He's had to deal with alot of bruised egos, and cars blowing tires and a flywheel coming off on the dyno. People always try to play the blame game. So he starts high and finds out whos serious or not. Let me know if you want to head over and I can introduce you. I believe he's having a dyno day this Saturday. I may stop over if I get a kitchen pass from the GF. You will love having the boost. I've always wanted to put a procharger on my car. But we'll see how tired I get of my 6 speed junk.

Originally Posted by mrbravada
Yea, Dean's got the blown one, and I knew Rob was trying to sell his after he bought the G8. We only got to the track once this summer, lol, and apparently I didn't know how to launch....
That takes some experimenting with rpms to get it right. I can't launch my 6 speed at anything over 2000 rpm on street tires, and I've been racing out there since 98.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Yup, it was my first trip to the track ever... participant or audience member. I mean 14.08 isn't too terrible, but I know I left a lot out there.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:25 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Got my gears installed today. Young's was really good to do business with...unfortunately, theres some whine at about 50mph. They called me after they drove it, and they weren't happy about that, which I thought was really cool of them. They really wanted to get it right before they gave the car back to me, but it sounds like a bad gearset and they're going to have to order another. They were really cool about it and let me bring the car home and drive it this weekend to be sure I like the ratio (4.10s), and then they're going to order me a new set from AAM next week and install those in a couple weeks. Really outstanding customer service.

Freaking love the 4.10s. Even on a stock car, I can tell a huge difference. 6th gear is actually useful now. Can't wait to get the rest of the bolt-ons installed.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:33 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by -Q-
Got my gears installed today. Young's was really good to do business with...unfortunately, theres some whine at about 50mph. They called me after they drove it, and they weren't happy about that, which I thought was really cool of them. They really wanted to get it right before they gave the car back to me, but it sounds like a bad gearset and they're going to have to order another. They were really cool about it and let me bring the car home and drive it this weekend to be sure I like the ratio (4.10s), and then they're going to order me a new set from AAM next week and install those in a couple weeks. Really outstanding customer service.

Freaking love the 4.10s. Even on a stock car, I can tell a huge difference. 6th gear is actually useful now. Can't wait to get the rest of the bolt-ons installed.

Let me guess, you bought Richmonds? The only gearset I have put in a 10 bolt that didn't whine was Motive. They aren't as brittle as the Richmonds. In fact I popped a set of richmond 4.10's in about 6 months once. Then I installed Motive's and they lasted until I installed my 9"
Old 09-19-2009, 01:41 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
Let me guess, you bought Richmonds? The only gearset I have put in a 10 bolt that didn't whine was Motive. They aren't as brittle as the Richmonds. In fact I popped a set of richmond 4.10's in about 6 months once. Then I installed Motive's and they lasted until I installed my 9"
No, they put in AAM, which apparently is the OEM manufacturer. I originally asked for Motives, but they talked me into AAM because of how well they set up and how quiet they are (usually are, I should say). They were really surprised that these made as much noise as they did, because I guess they've had a lot of luck with them. I'd read that Motives were strong and quiet, but I figured I'd take their word on it, since they do it for a living.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

LOL I wouldn't take their word on anything. WTF are AAM's? Tell them you went with their suggestion, and now you want a set of Motive's.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:28 PM
9 Second Club

That's too bad about the gears. I rarely ever use the worthless 6th gear.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:21 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

No big deal. They'll get me taken care of, I'm not worried about it.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow, this thread blew up! i dont have enough time to read everything but ill get to it eventually, haha

jeff you need to get some gears in that thing then, i use 6th all the time! 33-35 mph on the way to the track!

-Q- youngs took care of me when i had to get all new sharfts for my truck, had them both done in half a day!
Old 10-02-2009, 09:14 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah. These stock 3.42s are going to be decided here within the next two years. I think I'm at 2500 at about 65mph. Depending on how soon I get fed up with that 6 speed junk. I was talking to my buddy in vegas and they just finished an 01 WS6 and it's running 9.6x on spray, and the tune still needs some work. So we'll see what I end up doing. One thing I know for sure is I'm going to see if I can take that fastest f-body semi-street car title from jmill. I have some big plans that are just waiting to be put in motion so.

In the mean time I got my truck's ball joints replaced. Few other steering parts and alignment. After dropping $2xxx on that three days later going over to my GF's house I ran something over and put a hole in my tire. It wasn't fixable. So tomarrow I'm going out to buy new tires. $833 for tires on my 3/4 ton gmc. Unexpected fixes are never any fun. At least these tires already had 60 or 70,000 miles on them.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

to all you guys looking for heads/cam, ill have a nice set of cnc'd 243's complete and a 228/232 .590/.596 on a 114 lsa for sale as soon as we all get back. plus we will also be able to do tuning and installs as soon as we get our garage ready so if any of you guys have any questions just send me a pm and we'll take care of you.

jeff youd better start working on that car to take that title, well i guess it is an f-body title right? haha i'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on a set of heads/cam that should put me over the 525rwhp mark, then finish my n20 up with a plate set up with a dual stage nozzle kit for somewhere around 250-300 or so. but i need to re-gear it BAD!! so that might come first. actually i just need some traction and install that stupid clutch thats just sitting around . . . .

well i hope next year will be a good turn out for all the gm cars, we need to get cracking so they are ready for the summer! its good to see some new faces . . err, people online that are up in ak!

Quick Reply: looking for help in Alaska