Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Any interest on a 275 heads up class?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 02:04 PM
8 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Any interest on a 275 heads up class?

Trying to see if there is enough interest/cars to set something up.
Just something fun and competitive. Maybe run at PIR once per month and grow to schedule other tracks.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As in a radial tire only, or can a 10.5 car play? I'd love to do some heads up stuff this summer but there's just no way my car would do worth a crap with a radial tire. I'm sure Corey Thompson would be interested, turbo'd 67 Nova, and maybe Ron with the 70ish turbo'd Nova, and Steven Ellet, he has a 95ish turbo'd Camaro. There seems to be a common theme there lol...

There's the Streetcar Syndicate group that has some meets going on this summer. Robert can probably point you in that direction as he's involved in it.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:09 PM
8 Second Club

Mike
10.5 would be fine. Whatever we have to do to have a heads up class. Maybe some limits on ETs like 5.30 or 8.50s to keep it fun.
Just want to start a class,make some friends, have some fun.
We could even have a side pot. Nothing crazy but maybe enough to to pay for a set of tires.
If we get enough interest and it grows, I am sure we could come up with some local sponsorships.
This is how Texas True Ten 5 got started years ago.
A 10.5 non w tire for stick cars should fine But we need to have some restrictions to give everyone a chance.

Looks like my cage is getting certified tonight so I will be out tomorrow to renew my license.
Got the car aligned today.
Last year running this setup. Going to twin 6266s over the winter.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As Mike mentioned Streetcar Syndicate has a small series we run that includes bracket, heads up ("list"), and autocross. We don't really have a tire rule exactly, just that the tire has to fit in the stock wheel house and be DOT approved. You can find info at www.streetcarsyndicate.com . Under the "files" tab you will find the rules, our schedule, and the way our overall points system works. Not sure if any of this interests you, but we'd love to have you join us.

Kris
Old 05-13-2016, 01:19 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Street car syndicate is fun, but whats posted here isn't a good fit for what they are doing as each main race is a bracket race plus the required drive.

Big advantage with a 10.5 tire versus 275DR at PIR, so that could cause some issues with people, but certainly nice to have some flexibility.

What we did at the West Coast Shootout last month was nice on a well prepped track, and back in our HeadsUpNW days, PIR tried to keep the track prepped for us, but thats gone completly by the way side and it's a little dicey now.

That said, I'd come play regardless just because it's much better than time only testing. It would be in my Chevelle though.

I'll keep an eye on this post for sure.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

I think trying to round up a bunch of guys for a heads up 275 class would be awesome. I'd like to participate at some point in the future for sure.
Any of you with a street able car be sure to check out Streetcarsyndicate.com . If you're race car doesn't fit the rules no worries, RUN The daily driver! Our events even the playing field and make things very interesting. Better yet make your racecar a streetcar!
Old 05-13-2016, 09:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GotBoostRacing
Street car syndicate is fun, but whats posted here isn't a good fit for what they are doing as each main race is a bracket race plus the required drive.

Big advantage with a 10.5 tire versus 275DR at PIR, so that could cause some issues with people, but certainly nice to have some flexibility.

What we did at the West Coast Shootout last month was nice on a well prepped track, and back in our HeadsUpNW days, PIR tried to keep the track prepped for us, but thats gone completly by the way side and it's a little dicey now.

That said, I'd come play regardless just because it's much better than time only testing. It would be in my Chevelle though.

I'll keep an eye on this post for sure.

Originally Posted by AgFormula02
Mike
10.5 would be fine. Whatever we have to do to have a heads up class. Maybe some limits on ETs like 5.30 or 8.50s to keep it fun.
Just want to start a class,make some friends, have some fun.
We could even have a side pot. Nothing crazy but maybe enough to to pay for a set of tires.
If we get enough interest and it grows, I am sure we could come up with some local sponsorships.
This is how Texas True Ten 5 got started years ago.
A 10.5 non w tire for stick cars should fine But we need to have some restrictions to give everyone a chance.

Looks like my cage is getting certified tonight so I will be out tomorrow to renew my license.
Got the car aligned today.
Last year running this setup. Going to twin 6266s over the winter.
If the 10.5 causes any debate, we could just stipulate that only stick shift cars use them haha. And I personally don't know of any stick cars running in the 8's. My car won't be competitive in this HU stuff anyway, but it would sure be fun to try some heads up on a pro-tree.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:01 PM
8 Second Club

10.5 for sticks should not be a problem. (Just don't sneak a W in there)

With no prep racing becoming so popular, PIR could take advantage of this. I mean, they have been doing it for years.

I am kidding since I know the limitations PIR has due to the road course. But with all the buzz around drag racing lately, a heads up series could be a money maker.

I want to look into the street car syndicate but I do not have a FB account and refuse to get one.
I will be the last hold out!
Old 05-13-2016, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AgFormula02

I want to look into the street car syndicate but I do not have a FB account and refuse to get one.
I will be the last hold out!
Here's the general rules ( we can vote on waivers for miner infractions

Vehicle
Open to any production, 4 wheeled vehicle, with a valid VIN. No motorcycles, quads, trikes, etc.
Engine
Engine block must be original equipment or aftermarket direct replacement block (no hybrid type blocks, raised cams, tall decks, or altered bore spacing).Cylinder heads and intake manifold must be original equipment or aftermarket direct replacement.
Cylinder Heads
Original equipment cylinder heads or aftermarket heads that are commercially available as a direct replacement for production heads. Cylinder heads are restricted to production based port location of original equipment heads. Cylinder head modifications are permitted.
Racing cylinder heads with a different port location or port layout from the original equipment heads are not allowed.
Intake Manifold
Factory production original equipment intake manifold is allowed.Direct replacement commercially available cast 4 barrel intake manifold is allowed. Single throttle body EFI manifold is allowed.
The intake manifold must be able to directly bolt on to production cylinder heads in order to be legal. Sheet metal intake manifolds are not allowed.
Power Adders
Nitrous Oxide Injection, Turbo chargers and Superchargers are permitted.Engine power adder is limited to a single power adder. Twin turbos are considered single power adder.
The use of 2 or more power adders is not permitted (Ex. turbo and nitrous are not allowed).
Exhaust System
All exhaust system gases emitted from the engine must pass through the mufflers (no open headers or cutouts). Turbo(s) are not required to use mufflers.
Exhaust pipe size limited to a maximum 3 inch diameter on dual exhaust configurations, and 4" on single exhaust configurations. Tip size is unlimited. Pipe/tubing size is only concern.
Exhaust rules do not apply to diesel truck applications.
Tires
All 4 tires must be D.O.T. approved. Radial or bias ply tires may be used.
Drag racing slicks are not allowed.
Tires must fit within the confines of the stock wheehouse. No modifications to wheeltubs to allow larger tires and tire must not protrude past top edge of wheel arch opening. Flares or widebody kits are not considered wheelhouse, and cannot be used to fit a larger tire.
AWD vehicles will not be allowed to run drag radials. They are required to run a tire with a treadwear rating of 150+.
Transmission
Transmissions are limited to original equipment units available in production vehicles.Original Equipment transmissions can be upgraded with aftermarket components.
No clutchless or planetary type transmissions permitted.
Chassis/Suspension
Front frame rails must remain in the stock location.
Tubular cross members permitted.
Strengthening members may be added to a stock frame.
Rear framerails must remain stock and unaltered (aside from strengthening).
No wheelie bars.
Front Suspension
Aftermarket direct-replacement components are allowed as long as stock mounting points are maintained on components and frame.
Rear Suspension
Stock suspension is required.
Aftermarket direct-replacement suspension components are allowed.
Bolt on traction equipment is allowed.
No 4 link or ladder bar suspension except those that are OE.
Body
Stock doors with functional windows required.
Lightweight body panels (fiberglass/carbon fiber/ aluminum/ etc) limited to hood and bumpers.
All windows must be DOT legal safety glass. No lexan/plexiglass/etc.
Stock floor pans and firewall must remain intact, in factory locations and configurations.
Interior
Stock dash must remain intact.
Door panels, headliner, and carpet must remain.
Must have minimum of 2 seats. Rear seat area must be carpeted if rear seat is removed.
Safety
Must have necessary NHRA required equipment for ET/MPH.
Must have functional lighting (turn signals, headlights, tail/brake lights).
Must have state DOT required safety items (windshield wipers, horn, mirrors).
Must have valid/current state registration.
Waiver
A waiver can be made on a per-race basis for any car that is in violation of one or more rules. The waiver will be decided by the majority of participants on the day of event.
Participants will be required to meet at a predetermined destination on the day of the event to assemble as a
group, before traveling to the event location as a group. All cars must travel to the event together. Once at
the destination all participants must proceed directly to tech inspection. No changing tires, swapping parts, or
tuning is allowed. Participants will be allowed to unload any travel items from vehicle before competition.ns)
Old 10-02-2016, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How would someone without FB get involved in this?
Old 10-03-2016, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

We are working on a full website this winter as the facebook thing has been a major hold up for many potential racers. If I was you I'd make an account that's not tied to any personal information just to access all of the great car groups online. 95% of my Facebook usage is car related. I've sold more parts and bought more parts on Facebook than Craigslist.
When next year's schedule is decided I'll be sure to post it . Getting involved is as simple as showing up.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by nogomofo1970
We are working on a full website this winter as the facebook thing has been a major hold up for many potential racers. If I was you I'd make an account that's not tied to any personal information just to access all of the great car groups online. 95% of my Facebook usage is car related. I've sold more parts and bought more parts on Facebook than Craigslist.
When next year's schedule is decided I'll be sure to post it . Getting involved is as simple as showing up.
^^^^ You forgot to mention the secret handshake....
Old 12-04-2016, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

sounds fun. hopefully my pile of parts magically assumes racecar shape again soon
Old 12-14-2016, 06:15 PM
11 Second Club

Get it back together before you completely change plans and take it apart again!

Quick Reply: Any interest on a 275 heads up class?