Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Top 20.......Changes for '05

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004 | 10:35 PM
10 Second Club

What happend to the old saying run what you brung. not to argue but i just get sick of hearing nitrous is cheating. I read a good article one time about the same **** and the auther responded that most people that say nitrous is cheating have been by a nitrous car or just don't have the ***** to run it themselves.
Old 11-30-2004 | 10:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
Run what you brung. The only reason I brought up tires is because the quarter is all about that launch, so you have to put us on even ground. With slicks gears and a 100 shot with a little suspension you'd be suprised what a STOCK ls1 would do.

Nitrous is no more cheating then Heads and cam they both add a 100+ horsepower. Slicks aren't cheating they just put the car in another class, You can have a 400shot of Nitrous and still run a 12 if you can get traction....
Yup there are actually alot of classes you can not run wheelies bars. it keeps the classes slower putting more emphisis on the driver. Many whine about not being able to hook that way or pulling the wheels to high. I say learn how to tune and drive baby!
Old 11-30-2004 | 10:40 PM
10 Second Club

it looks like i am just one step behind evryne else tonight. oh well still agree with the rules, I would even go with the tire addition, could make things prety interesting.
Old 11-30-2004 | 11:55 PM
Pathological Modifier

So, if you go with the tire rule, Hoosier QTP DOTs are legal? Cause thats a slick with two stripes. Just happens to be DOT approved. How does that fit?
And if you rule out Hoosiers or ET Streets, whats next Drag radials?

Hell, I don't know why I care, I cut 1.646 60' on nittos

Ryan K.
Old 11-30-2004 | 11:59 PM
Pathological Modifier

Besides Ellis you wouldn't be on the list anyway. Not for the fact you're an LT1 but cause your **** don't run!
Old 12-01-2004 | 12:36 AM
TECH Veteran

I say keep it as a top 20 list... personally, I plan on at least defending my #10 spot, but it is good to see those who climb up the ladder, as Eric pointed out. I like to see who's not only ahead of me, but who's creeping up in the rear view as well.

Other than that, the rules look good... I agree with the tire thing as long as we're still talking Hoosier QTPs and ET Streets, as those are DOT. Basically anything legal in Car Club Challenge should be legal for the list.

I also agree on street driven... if you have legal tags (no matter if you have to cheat the computer or not), then it should be included.

Lastly, I also agree with run what you brung... nitrous, blowers, turbos, heads/cam, etc. As people say, what's stopping someone from just running a 200 shot through their car and breaking deep into the 11s to rocket up the list? I say exactly... what's stopping you? Absolutely nothing... if you want to get there with the nitrous bottle, then so be it. I don't think anything's cheating as long as it's legal at the track.
Old 12-01-2004 | 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

It was a hypothetical situation, dammit!
Old 12-01-2004 | 08:20 AM
10 Second Club

Should we also say the car must be TRACK LEGAL? Meaning you can't go out & make 1 HOT pass that gets you thrown off the track just to make the list. That might weed out the guy that normally runs 12.80s & then goes & straps a 200 shot on his car to run 11.50s once just to get on the list (& knock someone off the list that is always running 11.60s).

And Ryan's comment (NO, not the one about Ellis' car ) kinda squashes the tire issue. QTPs & ETs are a street leagl tire. Nobody on this list needs more tire than that.
Old 12-01-2004 | 09:43 AM
10 Second Club

i agree, but with the new rules that would be legal at the track, remember people can run 11.50 and not get booted, like last year.

Last edited by sardog46; 12-01-2004 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-01-2004 | 10:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ryan K
So, if you go with the tire rule, Hoosier QTP DOTs are legal? Cause thats a slick with two stripes. Just happens to be DOT approved. How does that fit?
And if you rule out Hoosiers or ET Streets, whats next Drag radials?

Hell, I don't know why I care, I cut 1.646 60' on nittos

Ryan K.
DAMN I wish I could cut a 1.64 on Nittos my best was a 1.74 when I had the auto in my LT1. Course I always run 17's....

If I could vote I would make it Drag radial or higher so the DOT Slicks disqualify but you have to draw the line somewhere. But it will probably cost me I'll get frustrated and go buy the damn CCW track pack for the vette!!!
Old 12-01-2004 | 11:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sardog46
i agree, but with the new rules that would be legal at the track, remember people can run 11.50 and not get booted, like last year.
Well, technically it's a "stock" class vehicle that can run an 11.50... if they think your car is far from stock (like a big lumpy cam) it's still the track's perogative to not allow you to run without the proper safety equipment for going under 11.99. If the car looks and sounds stock and runs under a 12 (like a Z06 or a Viper is capable of) then the 11.50 rule applies.

That's the way I read into the rules, anyhow...
Old 12-01-2004 | 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

RULES THAT WILL BE ADDED
-Must be licenced for street use (current licence and registration)
-NO hot passes
a)Car must be legal for run
b)If the track gives you the boot, time does not count
-Tires
a)Any DOT approved tire

i can understand some of you wanting a top 20, top 30, top 1000 list so you can all see where you stand in big picture. The top 10 list is kind of a "show case" of the "big dogs" so to speak in our area.

HOWEVER, I am going to compile a database of EVERYONES times that I am going to try and make accesable to everyone from this site. This is where everyone can go to see where the "over all" standings are in the group.

This isnt something I just pulled out of my ***. It took me 2 days to come up with a set of rules that would still give EVERYONE a shot of making the list. The way the rules are structured it doesnt favor anyone type of combo over the other. A heads/cam car making over 400 at the tires will crack off an 11 second pass on drag radials. A nitrous car can do the same. How many turbo or supercharged cars do we have in the area? 1 that I can think of. A CAM ONLY car with a set of sticky's can break 11's. Go look at the LS1tech.com ET data base. There are ALOT of fast cars that dont have a ton of money into them. Just well set up chassis and a good combo.

Once this gets down the road a little further I am sure the times will tighten up on the list. As it sits right now (if the rules were in effect), there are some decent sized gaps in the times. And when things tighten up it will force people that are on the cusp of breaking into the list to monitor the little things of thier cars when they go to the track. Slight changes in tire pressures, tossing a little weight out of the car, cool down, those people with HP or edit will try to add a bit of timing, proper tire heating etc etc. When normally they wouldnt think about it. And the people that are trying to move UP in the list will be doing the same thing. Since I have been in the ORR world, if I have learned 1 single thing it has been "HORSEPOWER DOES NOT RULE ALL". Its the little **** that will make the big changes.

Maybe some of you will go out and get an NHRA log book to track every single one of your passes. This can become a valuable tuning tool. I know Don Berry uses one of these RELIGIOUSLY and you can see the difference in ET,mph,'60 etc with any little change he made. It will also help you if you made a change to something but cant remember what you had it at. Now you would be able to go back, see the change then back to where you started and and try something different.

Other things that are in the hopper for the NW LS1tech guys:

-Junker drags: Thats right, the daily driver, piece-o-**** car night. Bracket race with the daily driver cars.

Rules: Bracket style set up. This will make the use of power adders null (this may change to an "anything goes", heads up dependant on vehicles). The only REAL rule is that the car must be your daily. If your Fbody/Ybody/LSx hybrid is your ONLY car, it is eligable. But if you have an Fbody AND said name piece-o-**** car, the piece-o-**** car is the only one eligable for the event. May even throw in a "nothing faster than 13.0 or 13.5 rule". Nothing like seeing 2 heapers go at it door to door all the way down for a 17 second pass. Puts a smile on everyones face.

-Grudge night
This is how this one will work. I will pick 2 cars that are VERY close to each other (OR 2 members can request a "grudge run" or 1 can call the other person out. THIS IS THE ONLY TIME that the HOT LAP rule will NOT apply. However, the time posted will not be applyed to the top 10 list. This will be an "anything goes" run, spray, race gas, lots-o-boost, liquid nitrogen, rocket fuel or grain alcohol. We can even apply handicaps if 2 cars are further apart time wise.

I thought about the idea of a "top speed" list but the inhearent dangers and risks involved are to great for that so it got the axe. And since this is a drag oriented board I am going to try and keep it that way.
Old 12-01-2004 | 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just for reference, fastest CAM ONLY car:
01-Z
LG motorsport Juggernaut cam- 10.643 @126.01 (1.440)
Old 12-01-2004 | 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

If it's going to be a top 10 instead of top 20, I'd suggest adding more info to the car's data. IE: if it's blown, turbo'd, nitrous'd or NA.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think there should be some designation between NA cars and cars with a power adder. Whether it's two seperate lists or a tag next to their time.?

My personal suggestion; make one top 10 NA list, and one top 10 power adder list. Someone could be really quick for a NA car, but still not be able to make the list just because someone else decided to add a 200 shot for one glory run. I think the list should be a way to show where 'everyone' stands at a glance, not some contest to see who can refinance their mortgage to make a faster car. Just my .02 worth.

Other than that, I like the new rules even though it puts me out of the running, until this spring anyway. I made my pass back in 01' lol....

Mike
Old 12-01-2004 | 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
but still not be able to make the list just because someone else decided to add a 200 shot for one glory run.
See the first couple of lines in my last post
Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
-NO hot passes
a)Car must be legal for run
b)If the track gives you the boot, time does not count

I think the list should be a way to show where 'everyone' stands at a glance,
See this?
Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
HOWEVER, I am going to compile a database of EVERYONES times that I am going to try and make accesable to everyone from this site. This is where everyone can go to see where the "over all" standings are in the group.

not some contest to see who can refinance their mortgage to make a faster car. Just my .02 worth.
I hate to say it, but being the top dog usually takes money. Lord knows I will NEVER NEVER NEVER go as fast as Todd Carpenter down 318. WHY?! Becuase I will probably NEVER have $200,000.00 to throw into a car.

Other than that, I like the new rules even though it puts me out of the running, until this spring anyway. I made my pass back in 01' lol....

Mike
Maybe its time to get out and make another run then. Last time i was out was 01 or 02.

And just to make sure everyone skivveys arent in a bunch here is what the Top 10 list would look like if the rules were in effect NOW. And even then there are a couple "questionables" on this list. I think all but 2 of these are current (within the last season). So beging next season the door is open to ANYONE. Any of the cars here are capable of a 12.6 pass. And the way you guys have been modding the **** out of your cars...............

1. sardog46 11.56 @122 (1.56) '02 WS6 M6
2. silverbullet02 11.94 @114.8 (1.70) '02 TA M6
3. Rockin C Racing 12.03 @113 (1.72) '95 Z28
4. John Bzdel 12.04 @115 '88 Monte Carlo SS w/ LS6 swap M6
5. kcsoz20 12.04 @113.6 (1.70) '95 Z28 A4
6. Tranzor_Z28 12.23 @ 114.06 (1.77) '01 Z28 M6
7. Racehead 12.35 @113.44 (1.95) '71 Camaro M6
8. Ryan K 12.391 @108 (1.646) '98 B4C A4
9. WAHUSKER 12.437 @113.04 (1.92) '00 WS6 A4
10. mykdiver 12.62 @118 (1.98) '98 Z28 A4
Old 12-01-2004 | 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

I think the new rules sound very good. I like the idea of the junker race lol, soon I will have one .
Old 12-01-2004 | 03:24 PM
10 Second Club

Looks like you got every base covered bud....looks good.

Although knowing what everyone is doing to their cars now, I can almost guarantee people will need to run 11s next year to be on this list. I plan to be about 1/2 faster, & still may get knocked off the list. But that's cool. Like you say, this is the "Top Dog of the NW List". We should be running that fast.

I can't wait to see who wins the #1 spot. Ellis & Jason (sardog) are gonna be pushing that spot pretty hard! Could it be a grudge race there? I get dibs on Bills BBC Camaro. We gotta settle this beer bet!!! (we went 1-1 last year)
Old 12-01-2004 | 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

Wow. Just a little over 1 second difference between 1st and 10th. This can and will get tight. The junker idea is cool. I do think that a 13.5 or even 14.0 limit should be put in place. 14.0 is the break point between sportsman and pro classes. If you didn't have a limit, someone like me drives a bike to work as my daily driver in the summer months, and it ran 11.6x's last year with new mods coming this winter. My wife did drive our 01 crewcab 4x4 on the track and ran consistant 17.0x. I would be up for that.
Old 12-01-2004 | 03:42 PM
10 Second Club

the junker rule rocks i could run the bug. At Least it is legal for 9's. Grudge night is cool to. and i hate to call myself out but by the new rules my 11.55 wouldn't count b/c i got the boot after that run butt i do have a 11.66 to back it up, just wanted to point that out boyce.
Old 12-01-2004 | 03:51 PM
TECH Veteran

The junker night would be fun... I'd run my wife's CR-V... that thing's gotta be faster than some of the ricers I've seen running 18s out there at Pacific.

Quick Reply: Top 20.......Changes for '05