Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

T/a offer

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T/a offer

Had a guy stop by today out of the blue, and ask to buy the t/a. The thing is i don't know what i should even offer as a price. What do cars like mine go for? Anybody have a clue? Don't know if i even want to sell it, but if he would give me what i want, it might. So guys give me some ideas on prices, i know what i want for it about 30K.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that would be a fair price considering all the work you have put into it. Rear end, heads, cam, suspension, wideband, big and littles, plus it is an 02 ws6.

I don't think you should sell it though, too much work invested in what ya love ya know?

Nate
Old 02-26-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

But if you do sell it, let's trade rearends before you seal the deal.. No but really I don't think you should sell it, you will never get your money back for the mods, closest thing to doing that would be parting it out. You've got a lot of work into it, and most people don't want to pay for work! Keep it, make it faster
Old 02-26-2005, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Put a price on it that would make YOU feel good about selling it.

that means $30k!! I would not let mine go for less then that once the new motor is in As it sat if would have taken nothing less then $25k...or about a third of what I have spent on it over the past 8 years
Old 02-27-2005, 02:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Put a price on it that would make YOU feel good about selling it.

that means $30k!! I would not let mine go for less then that once the new motor is in As it sat if would have taken nothing less then $25k...or about a third of what I have spent on it over the past 8 years
Yhea i know the feeling elis. I would like to sell it but i don't want to yet, this guy wants to put regular seats in it for his 16 year old, i just coudn't see a16 year old kid in a ten second car with street tires on it
decisions.................decisions.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

You have to forget what the other guy would do with it. This is a business deal ONLY. With that in mind, determine what it would take to break even and decide if that is good for you. If not, what would that price be? Once you have determined the break even factor then you need to decide if that number is good for you. Remember that your car would be a hard sell to anyone that does not get into drag racing. Have you asked yourself if you would like to start fresh with a different car to apply leasons learned or would you like to go in a different direction? Those are the key issues to me.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sardog46
Yhea i know the feeling elis. I would like to sell it but i don't want to yet, this guy wants to put regular seats in it for his 16 year old, i just coudn't see a16 year old kid in a ten second car with street tires on it
decisions.................decisions.
A 16 year old??? That's fuggin' ridiculous... I wouldn't sell my car to someone like that because no matter what I sold it for, I wouldn't want to see it wrapped around some telephone pole.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

You cannot pass up a good deal all because some "16 yr old idiot (like we all were)" would not respect my car. Once it is sold its not yours. I hope someone treats mine old WS6 good but if I found it wrapped around a tree, oh well. Hope he lives. I am on to a bigger and badder ride than that one was.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:01 AM
Banned

He's got 5 point harnesses...the 16 year old will live

Nate
Old 02-27-2005, 04:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ram-it
You cannot pass up a good deal all because some "16 yr old idiot (like we all were)" would not respect my car. Once it is sold its not yours. I hope someone treats mine old WS6 good but if I found it wrapped around a tree, oh well. Hope he lives. I am on to a bigger and badder ride than that one was.
Actually Ram-it i have and would NEVER sell a 500+HP car to a parent for there un-trained child.

This topic came to life many years ago on CZ28.com after a hand full of kidd's were killed with in hours of there parents letting them off the lots in there new F-body's. The time frame was less then a month for all the death that happened. We were helping a friend get a car for his brother and wound up paying more just to make sure he got a V6. V6 cars were and in some places still are selling for more then V8 cars.

The end of the story is he is still alive today
Old 02-27-2005, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

I couldn't (with a clear conscience) sell a 10 sec car to a 16 year old. My car is too much car for me, (even now) and it only runs 13's.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:41 AM
12 Second Club

My father had a service station with a shop when I was of driving age and everyone at the shop had a race car. My brother and I both had bad *** looking cars, both with straight sixes which would barely chirp the tires.

Funny how life works I was grateful to have a cool looking car and a job pumping gas to support it BUT DAD your so cruel you've got THE SPEED SHOP in town and your son has one of the slowest cars in town it just not right. Both my boys will have slow cars.

I'd give the guy a lecture tell him it's probably not a good car for a sixteen year old and take his money ask 35K.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I happen to believe that you cannot protect society from itself. You guys seem to forget that this parent would never be able to get the car registered in this state. The State Police would fail it as would the emissions guys. What if they wanted the car to play with at the track? There are many 16 year olds out there in the pro ranks that can drive better than we can. Maybe its for learning with.

As for fast cars killing people thats the same thing as the gun argument. Those damn guns just keep killing too. An idiot behind the wheel will be an idiot behind the wheel of a VW. I think if you were to do a study you'd find that kids into the rice crowd suffer a higher percentage of accidents as compared to the hotrod crowd. That said, does everyone remember the last three high profile fatal accidents in this area? All of them imports and all of them just as dead as they would have been in a faster car.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

While I agree that that is too much car for a relatively new driver... I'd still be tempted. Looking at all the things you've removed from your car, Sardog, you could turn that big payout into a few years older model and strip it the same and probably have some extra money to make the new car faster. Just a thought...
Old 02-27-2005, 11:21 AM
10 Second Club

Personally I would NEVER sell my TA! It's my baby. Not to mention I'm approaching the $45k mark for what I've put in it, and know I'd take a beating. But I understand these are just cars to most people. That said here is my advice:

If you can get $30k for it, you should sell it (IF you actually want to). I remember what Ryan got for his car, and it ran 9s.

But I would NOT sell it to a 16 yr old for the reason Ellis stated. I wouldn't like how I felt if he went out & killed himself in it. How much money would it take for you not to think about that for the rest of your life. Now if I bought it & wrecked it you could live with that because I KNEW what the car was capable of & know how to drive. But a 16 yr old? That's like letting a 5yr old play with a loaded 357.

But if you think like Eric does on this matter, then go ahead.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

I do not think you should sell it if it is going to a 16 year old.. Even if most crashes are in the import crowd, that is generally the age range 16-22 or so. Those cars are VERY forgiving with their front wheel drive and no torque and not much power! Think of a 16 year old driving 400rwhp on street tires, and a manual for that matter! Someone who probably has not driven a car with more than 100 wheel horsepower. I doubt the kid would last one day without spinning out into some ditch. If you want to sell it then by all means make yourself a price you would like to see, but talk to that prospective buyer and tell him that it is very likely that if he buys this car for his kid then his kid WILL crash it. 5 point and roll bar, yeah that's pretty safe, but doesn't stop everything.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like how everyone just goes right by the my statement that the buyer would not be able to get it registered for street use in this state. Therefore, they cannot kill themselves with it. Second, we have not gotten the whole story here. What if the parent isn't stupid like everyone seems to think? What if they know exactly what the car is capable of because Jason told them? What if this is going to be a father/son project that they take to the strip? All we know is that someone approached Jason about his car. We know nothing about this guy or his son. Maybe you should ask them some questions about intended use? Do they realize what this car was made for? Once you hear those answers then you can decide if you would sell it to them. Keep in mind that the thought of selling has crossed your mind before or you would not have started the post. Chances like this will not come often.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Junkie

I agree with Eric. If I sell a gun and someone shoots himself with it, it would be bummer but I would not feel responsible. A car by itself (a well maintained car with standard safty equipment) is not dangerous by itself. Its a parents responsibilty to know and decide what thier 16 can and can't handle.

I had a teamate in HS who got a NEW 92 Corvette for graduation. That night he got drunk and you couldn't tell it was a vette after it rolled 7 times and spilt in half as it broadsided a tree. I've also had friend friend with Porshe 911 Carrea 4 and another with a Countach in high school and they drove them like bitches even when we would egg them on to get on it.

Flip side I had alot more friends screwing around in their hoopties dying or getting in serious accidents in High school. I don't know how I made it with my Nissan lowrider

Anyhoo if you can get 30K for your car and it does not have the setimental value Mark and Ellis are referring to it take it in a second. Ryan had a nice car I think he sold his in the TEENS...

I love my Z06 but if someone came up with Cash in hand and wanted it for what I paid for it... they can have it even if they are giving it to their 16 year old son. I mean my 01 WS6 was my dream car everything except the rear end was exactly what I wanted. Someone offered 26 and bye bye. I think I broke even basically driving the car for free for a year. But even if I would have been a few grand upside down with mods I probably would have sold it for that. But there was no setimental value with it. I miss my 93 and wish I could have that back. I'd even sell my Z and buy it back it I could. So you have to think about that too, but the orange car I never had that "bond" with so while I cried watching it go I got over it. Course the Z06 helped
Old 02-27-2005, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

WOW. It''s amazing how much imput we can put in on what we know little about. Chances are you will never see this guy again. He is in the market for a car for his son and his son saw yours and wanted it.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks, for your opinions guys, I appreciate them. I called the guy today and told him that i would sell the car to him for 35k. He said he would have to go talk to the bank tommorow so well see if he can even come up with the cash. As for his son driving it, it would not be his son's daily driver, but would be his to do what he pleased with. i don't know if the kid could handle it, but I told the guy i would give the kid and him some leasons on how to drive it, cause tell you the truth it scares me sometime.

As for eric comments, i am in agreement, if i seel it and the kid goes out and kills himself i would feal worse about the car than some stupid kid, he has no buisness driving a car like mine, but busniess is busniess.

The car could be easily reg. as i still have it fully insured and licencsd, and is street legeal. not street comforatable/

Quick Reply: T/a offer