Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

What have you raced while working

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 04:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What have you raced while working

Okay Rookie started a thread about finding a night job. Taufern chimed in about being a night stocker and racing fork lifts, Racehead has raced school buses. I read their post and thought now there is potential for a great thread.

I was working retail right out of college, Management Training Program (which really means slave labor), so they assigned the Managerment trainees to do all the final prep work before the big grand opening locked us in the store overnight with not one but two gas go-carts that were for giveaways for the grand opening. Of course we siphoned gas out of the fork lift and raced them inside the store, one of the best nights of my life. I still remember the manager coming in the next morning thrilled to find us buffing the floors.

So what have you raced while at work????
Old 03-07-2005, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

Office chairs... and I was in an SL55 with the service manager at one of my old jobs and a mustang tried to challenge us on 167... he lost... bad....
Old 03-07-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

I drag raced another co-worker in our 18-wheelers through the middle of a muddy spud field (filed was 1 mile long). And have had numerous races in big tractors (8 wheels per tractor) on the farm. The only other kind of racing would be bench racing on the comuter.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin
Okay Rookie started a thread about finding a night job. Taufern chimed in about being a night stocker and racing fork lifts, Racehead has raced school buses. I read their post and thought now there is potential for a great thread.

I was working retail right out of college, Management Training Program (which really means slave labor), so they assigned the Managerment trainees to do all the final prep work before the big grand opening locked us in the store overnight with not one but two gas go-carts that were for giveaways for the grand opening. Of course we siphoned gas out of the fork lift and raced them inside the store, one of the best nights of my life. I still remember the manager coming in the next morning thrilled to find us buffing the floors.

So what have you raced while at work????

AT&T/Comcast Trucks/Vans when I used to work for them. When I bought my new work van in Jan I made sure I got the largest displacement motor for the model....just in case.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm... I've raced in company tournaments for F-Zero GX and Mario Kart. Does that count? I haven't actually physically raced anything here at work... I'm a cubicle gopher, after all.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Pallet jacks some were Definately faster than others. Forklifts at the Safeway produce wharehouse. We'd hose the floor down and cut cookie's too. I was the foreman
Old 03-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Tech Addict

Forklifts, office chairs, mop buckets on wheels, motorized floor scrubbers, pallet jacks.

We had a nissan forklift at work that i took the governor/limiter off and holy **** did that baby get up and haul *** after that. I got written up for doing that too, I went whistling by the ship/rec managers office at twice the speed I usually did. I guess he wasn't as ignorant as I thought he was.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Long ago my wife named me "Racehead". And it really does describe who I am .... unfortunately sometimes This thread is likely to reveal the depth of my "problem" haha !

I've raced "tuggers", which are electric motor powered 3 wheeled thingy's that pull these 4 wheeled "trailer" type of things that are used to "pick product" to load food delivery trucks with. 7 wheel drifts are a wondrous site to behold and I hold the freezer compartment lap record at Food Services Inc.

I used to work for an outfit called "Wirefab" here in Mt. Vernon where, among other things, we used to make, deliver, and install chicken cages. One time we had a huge job in "Moxie" (sp?) and it involved numerous runs from Mt. Vernon to Moxie in an old '72 International 345 cu. in. powered flat bed truck to deliver cages to the guys who were installing them. I bettered the next best time over and back by nearly 2 hrs haha ! My boss couldn't believe it when I rolled in. I learned that I had been running this old industrial engine past redline for hrs on end when I got back lol ! It thru a rod about a month later when somebody else was driving it ......

I've also raced "Pea Viners" when I was about 15 yrs old. Now days a Pea Viner is an "all-in-one" self contained type of machine. When I was running them it was just a farm tractor pulling the "viner" contraption that outweighed the tractor by about 5 fold. All the pea's would wind up in this large "bucket" on the back that when full you could hydraulically lift up to offload onto a truck. My bucket ripped off when I was racing a buddy across a bumpy field and I was fired. Another "fellow racer" rolled his Viner over into a ditch the week before and was NOT fired ??!

I've also raced streetbikes out in the desert outside Phoenix at insane speeds ( kind of my ORR roots I guess ? )

RC planes and boats: One time me and 2 other friends got the bright idea of building these .25 cu. in. sized airboats and putting Fox 50's on them. They were so fast that they'd eventually just take off into the air and then crash so you had to deliver just the right amount of throttle to go as fast as you could without them taking off. Since they were so hard to see to control them out in the lake we decided to use my "full sized" boat, which will do 60 mph as a pilot platform and got a 4th buddy to drive this boat around the lake while we raced our RC boats. Christ that was a fun day ! 4 drunken dudes racing insanely fast boats around and around this lake. One time my RC boat went airborn at about 45 mph and landed INSIDE the boat we were on with the engine still screaming, the propellor started flinging parts around and a piece stuck into one of the guys legs. Another guy actually jumped into the water ( still doing 40+ mph ) to get away from it .... with his radio in his hand, and his airboat still doing 40ish mph behind us .... Luckily we got all the boats back, made it to shore, dug the piece of propellor out of the guys leg and called it a day

I could go on and on, but you get the idea.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

you never cease to entertain bill
Old 03-07-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

Racehead - you sound alot like me. My friends back in Idaho had a saying for me. If it had wheels and an engine, I would race it. Everything from cars and trucks to lawnmowers and radio controls. I use to get into a lot of trouble racing farm equipment (my dad was the farm manager).
Old 03-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Banned

I've also raced bread style trucks that we use in the navy to haul stuff, supply vans, tow tractors for a/c when it snowed last year we were the last shop to leave so me and another guy thought it would be fun to go do donuts across the flight line while there was about 8 inches of standing snow.

Also raced all sorts of support equipment across the flight line. Your tax dollars are hard at work with me!!!

Nate
Old 03-07-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I did comercial sheet metal roofing and siding we would race man lifts around. Most the time they werent up in the air but there was one time when we raced two 40 foot lifts that were raised up. They cant go too fast but when your that high up its still a blast but the corners were a little hairy
Old 03-07-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Navy fleet cars and trucks. Drifted a navy dodge ram van around an icy parking lot for several laps until I hit dry pavement sideways and got a little concerned for my paycheck and the rank on my sleeve I knew a cook who took a little navy ford ranger sized pickup (2WD) off-roading and parked with the drivers door way too close to a tree - the door was punched in about 4 inches and the glass was gone. Good news is that I wasn't with him THAT time. Only cost him about $700 and a suspended bust at Captains mast. They wouldn't let him drive anymore either
Old 03-07-2005, 09:14 PM
10 Second Club

Another vote for pallet jacks and forklifts. I've also raced delivery vans, and tow trucks, 16' U-hauls, and a cement truck. It wasn't very fast, but people sure got out of my way!

My best race was following my brother around a construction site at night siphoning gas. No we weren't working, but I was driving my mom's 64 Tempest vert chasing my brother in his red ram Dodge. We came up over a hill and there was this puddle of water. My brother gunned it & I followed right on his ***. Turned out to be a lake they were making. We ended up 50' out in about 3' of mud & water. Took us 6 hrs to ge the cars out. My moms Tempest was NEVER the same after that.....
Old 03-07-2005, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

This has been a pretty good read so far, Fork lifts and pallet jacks I expected, but mud racing 18 wheelers, farm equipment, Hi-reaches and cement truck very creative. Rokko racing floor scrubbers nice!!!! hell those things taking a little getting used just trying to operate them normally, racing them that must be a pretty wild ride.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by taufern
I've also raced bread style trucks that we use in the navy to haul stuff, supply vans, tow tractors for a/c when it snowed last year we were the last shop to leave so me and another guy thought it would be fun to go do donuts across the flight line while there was about 8 inches of standing snow.

Also raced all sorts of support equipment across the flight line. Your tax dollars are hard at work with me!!!

Nate
I second that
Old 03-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Tech Addict

5 mph electric carts, no harm there, lol.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Talking I plead the 5th...

UUHHH...due to the fact that I might/could incriminate myself admitting to racing while working I will only say that there are some slow/down times in my job.

I have been in several pursits from beater cars to crotch rockets!

Ken
Old 03-07-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kcsoz20
UUHHH...due to the fact that I might/could incriminate myself admitting to racing while working I will only say that there are some slow/down times in my job.

I have been in several pursits from beater cars to crotch rockets!

Ken

I know as does everyone else that the first thing you guys do when you get a new rig is go drive the **** out of it. Thats the only thing that pisses me off when I get a leture from a traffic cop about my driving. He'll do the same damn thing I did 10 minutes later, the cops in Hillsboro are not good drivers(by that I mean traffic law abiding and courteous). Doesn't matter though law is the law...

Thats gotta be a hell of a rush though chasing a crotch rocket legally... lot of responsibility too, at least your in a small town could you imagine having to deal with that crap in the city?
Old 03-08-2005, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

*closet door opens* Don't tell anyone, but...Metro Buses in Downtown Seattle...(shhhhh) 30,000lbs, 300hp, 0-60 in 30 seconds with a tailwind. Some of the older buses couldn't even do 60.