Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Virgin Track experiences

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virgin Track experiences

Well my status as a track virgin is over.

I really tried to execute Ellis's coaching launch it at 2k survive the bog then step into and go. Sounded pretty easy but I consistently just fried the tires then to make matters worse I missed more gears than I can count. I have maybe missed two shifts in all the time owned my car, little different on the track. On the first run I left the traction control on good thing for the helmet or I would have probably had a bloody nose. Then on the first round I red lighted.
Oh yeah I also came down the wrong return lane.

The car feels very strong the one run where I managed to just take it easy and shift like I was driving a school bus I ran a 12.95 @ 110.86 despite a 2.11 60' time. Now I wonder what it would do with some tires and a driver?

Watching you guys I appreciate the way you put down consistent times and knew it was harder than it looks but you still have that ego that says I can do it to, I mean what it so hard about leaving on the last yellow light ?

So what are your Track virgin stories
Old 06-04-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, we all know I'm still a track Virgin so maybe sometime down the road I may have a story for ya

I think you did a Great job last night! I didn't even know it was your first time down the track! You did Awesome!

Old 06-04-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 06-04-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

My de-virginication came with no stories........ran a 13.65 @ 105 and aside from crappy street tires and massive tire spin, it seemed very normal to me.

The only other time I have been was more like your first Steve.......I forgot to turn off my A/C, spun the tires so much I had a 2.6 60', missed the 2-3 shift cuz my hand slipped off the shift **** from being sweaty and I completely forgot i had a shift light and short shifted the crap outta the runs..........oh yeah, and I let off about 50 yards B4 the 1/4 line........and with all that, I still ran a 13.66 @ 105.......of course, this is after adding 30+ rwhp in between those 2 trips to the strip. So I DESPERATELY need tires, a 12-bolt and some skillz
Old 06-04-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you did well your first time out Steve... especially with a car that's definitely set up to be a street car, and the fact that you were running just some regular street radials. Hitting 12s your first time out makes you the envy of quite a few of us that took forever to get there.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Steve you did really good

My first time I watched my husband race his first CCCA event on our sons birthday 5yrs ago this July & never sat & just watched at a race again. The next race I raced & I think I raced against Bill S that first time too.

The next race I was going to be paired up against Scott Settlemire but we had a rain out. Will never forget that summer.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I totally sucked my first time out. First run was like 16.5 or something. All I did was spin and hop.

Second run I just drove like on the street and did 14.8 and I've been trimming it off a bit each trip. I've still got a lot to learn though.

BTW, what is your ride?
Old 06-05-2005, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Crisisman
I totally sucked my first time out. First run was like 16.5 or something. All I did was spin and hop.

Second run I just drove like on the street and did 14.8 and I've been trimming it off a bit each trip. I've still got a lot to learn though.

BTW, what is your ride?
Steve's car is the black one I posted pictures of..
Old 06-05-2005, 02:38 AM
12 Second Club

Steve what do you have done again?
Old 06-05-2005, 03:31 AM
TECH Veteran

A virgin that ran a 12?
That is some serious potential get into the 11's by summer (where is summer?) or end of summer
Old 06-05-2005, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GEARHED
A virgin that ran a 12?
That is some serious potential get into the 11's by summer (where is summer?) or end of summer
No no no , I really was reluctant to take my car to the track for that very reason, I do suffer from the personality traits that would get me in that race for the 11's.

I had fun at the track and I was pleased to take home a time slip in the twelve's believe me it was all car, other than stalling at the line or putting it in the wall I made about every mistake you could.

Not a whole lot of rookie mistakes being posted,must be some naturally gifted drivers out there
Old 06-05-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin
No no no , I really was reluctant to take my car to the track for that very reason, I do suffer from the personality traits that would get me in that race for the 11's.
We all suffer from those traits, We're BAD for each other

I had fun at the track and I was pleased to take home a time slip in the twelve's believe me it was all car, other than stalling at the line or putting it in the wall I made about every mistake you could.
Mistakes happen to everyone, the most important thing was/is/always will be that you have a good time doing it. My first trip down the strip in my big block car I ran a 14.xx Embarrassing ? YES ! But I had fun burning 'em off for 500 ft and lived to improve on it another day

Not a whole lot of rookie mistakes being posted,must be some naturally gifted drivers out there
Or maybe not ? .........
Old 06-05-2005, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

Well Steve, If this doesn't get you back to the track nothing will. I had a great experience my first time out. I was nervous until I hit the staging lane, then all I could think about was getting the car down the track. My best time that night last year was 13.26 and I have still yet to better that. You getting into the 12's on your first time out is great. Me, I will be at it until I do.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin

Sheeeeit dude. I sucked my 2nd time out and to make matters worse, the track is up at almost 3000 feet elevation (not DA, but actual elevation) and my BEST timeslips show 14.01 I couldn't even bring home a stinking 13 second slip so you rock dude.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:14 PM
10 Second Club

I think the fact that you brought that beautiful show car out was the most impressive thing. Running a 12 the very frist time out is a close second. Be proud of both!!!

As for virign stories, I left my traction control on the first time in the TA. I bought the SLP module on Monday. But the first time out was in my moms 69 Road Runner. I stalled it doing a burnout. Then I over-reved 1st gear, & pulled the shifter handle out of the socket going for 2nd. (RR shifters were held in with spring clips) I finally got it back in & missed 3rd gear. I think I ran a hi 18 in a low 14 sec car.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

My first time out to the strip with my car was my first drag racing experience, period. Had a lid & a cutout at the time, and ripped off some blazing low 14s, before cracking the 13s on my last two runs... a 13.8 and a 13.6.

Hell, I'm still learning the ropes obviously... considering Sardog tore up my best time by 2 tenths IN MY OWN CAR!!!
Old 06-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Tech Addict

I can't remember my virgin track experience, that was way back in '81.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
Sardog tore up my best time by 2 tenths IN MY OWN CAR!!!
We'll try not to bring that up ... much
Old 06-05-2005, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
As for virign stories, I left my traction control on the first time in the TA. I bought the SLP module on Monday. But the first time out was in my moms 69 Road Runner. I stalled it doing a burnout. Then I over-reved 1st gear, & pulled the shifter handle out of the socket going for 2nd. (RR shifters were held in with spring clips) I finally got it back in & missed 3rd gear. I think I ran a hi 18 in a low 14 sec car.
That's a good story did your mom even know you had it at the track?
Old 06-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Tech Addict

Steve that is awesome! 12's crap I wish I could drive tat good as you.

Besides me needing pratice, lots of pratice, I need to mentally be in the total race mode and not worry about getting the car dirty or breaking something...right now I do not have the cash to break anything, lol.

I really want 10in slicks, a new rear end (373 gears), some adjustable shocks, mostly drivers mod and I would love to try for 11.99 (my dream).

Again, I think you did awesome, 12's man that is sweet!!

Quick Reply: Virgin Track experiences