Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

line lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 07:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default line lock

Im not the brightest cherry on the apple tree... But what is line lock? I was watching videos and there was one that said "line locks are for pu$$ies". Just curious. I also needed to see if anyone had a posi rear end for a t/a. I need one cause I think that everyone here said that mine was probably gonna break soon. Its not posi anymore so just wondering.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:02 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A line lock will hold the brakes on your front wheels and leave the rear wheels free to spin. It's so you can do a burnout without rolling forward. Line locks are for people who spend time at the track.

I dunno what kind of video you were watching that said the were "for pussies" but it obviously was made by an idiot.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:14 AM
10 Second Club

Line locks are required for ALL cars by NHRA rules if you read them the way Pacific Raceways does. For a stick car, it eliminates the need for "heel-toe" (holding the brake with your heel while pressing the gas with your toe). It also saves your rear brakes.

What they are is a hydraulic locking solenoid - you step on the brake pedal & push the line lock button. That activates a soleniod on the front brake line that locks the pressure. Then you let off the brake to allow the rear tires to spin free while you do your burnout & the front tires hold the car in place.

All the fast cars have them (which explains why I don't....)
Old 01-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Teching In

And, to add the the confusion, you can actually hook the LL up in reverse. What you do it you attach it to the back brakes, then hit the button and you have full control of the front brakes with the back brakes isolated from getting any pressure.. This allows for people to roll foreward a little while doing the burn out, or whatever they so desire.

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Line locks are required for ALL cars by NHRA rules if you read them the way Pacific Raceways does. For a stick car, it eliminates the need for "heel-toe" (holding the brake with your heel while pressing the gas with your toe). It also saves your rear brakes.

What they are is a hydraulic locking solenoid - you step on the brake pedal & push the line lock button. That activates a soleniod on the front brake line that locks the pressure. Then you let off the brake to allow the rear tires to spin free while you do your burnout & the front tires hold the car in place.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Veteran

My buddy put a 12 bolt & drag radials on his '02 Hawk and had the worst time getting the heel-toe burn out method down without fear of accidentally launching the car into a wall.......he got a line-lock and is very happy. If you drag race semi-frequently or more, I would say to go for it.

And the guys who usually say that they are for pussies are the guys with automatics....no offense to the A4 guys here, just something I have noticed.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:01 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rottluver
And the guys who usually say that they are for pussies are the guys with automatics....no offense to the A4 guys here, just something I have noticed.
I'm putting a line lock on my Formula.. I'd rather save my rear brakes from unnecessary wear.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're not a bad thing for autos either... "power braking" on an auto sucks if you don't have to do it. When you hold the brake down a bit and break the tires loose with the gas on an auto, those rear tires are breaking loose a against the rear brakes... yeah, see how long the rear brakes last with that going on.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
I'm putting a line lock on my Formula.. I'd rather save my rear brakes from unnecessary wear.
Me too. I plan on getting this done ASAP! I hear they are pretty easy to install too.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got a rear end for you. Sent you a PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
They're not a bad thing for autos either... "power braking" on an auto sucks if you don't have to do it. When you hold the brake down a bit and break the tires loose with the gas on an auto, those rear tires are breaking loose a against the rear brakes... yeah, see how long the rear brakes last with that going on.
Yep yep yep...either stick or auto you are going to fry one or both brake pads and clutch in one burn out.

Some idiots think that "smell" is the tires.
Its your clutch, asshat.

Some line lock set ups are simple and reasonable, some are more expensive and require more wiring. Chose wisely for what you plan to use it for.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:02 AM
TECH Addict

I have an A4 and I would definately get one if I was able to spend more time at the track. Maybe after I get a cage installed the next mod will be the LL. I can't see destroying my brakes for the purpose of one good burnout. The line lock just makes sense.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:15 PM
10 Second Club

One other 'minor' point about a line lock. When you power brake the car, as you press on the gas pedal the vacuum drops. Your brake booster works off of vacuum, and thus your brakes become less efficient. Eventually, you have no brakes. On a boosted car this scenario is worse. Hence why I plan to install a line lock before the seasom.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My mod list for this winter is a thermostat and a line lock. With as many people as we have saying they're going to do it, perhaps we should have a line-lock party at someone's well equipped garage?
Old 03-19-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some more info on linelocks in my sig
Old 03-19-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by brandonppr
some more info on linelocks in my sig
That's great, are you a sponser?
Old 03-19-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No not a sponsor just wrote a couple webpages when I was board firgured I'd do something someone might find useful to help out fellow LS1 onwers
Old 03-19-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by brandonppr
No not a sponsor just wrote a couple webpages when I was board firgured I'd do something someone might find useful to help out fellow LS1 onwers

Just curious is all.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER

I've never heard that they were required,

it dosn't make sense to me,
it's not safety

what about those that don't do burnouts,
(like people on radial tires)
Old 03-19-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Line lock in my GT was one of my most favorite mods ...

Getting one hooked up in the Cobra ASAP.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:15 PM
T is for Towing not Turbo

I've personally never used one. Never had a problem with my car. I've done a zillion burnouts at the track and still have the original 44k miles brakes on the rear and they still look great. Since this is how I learned, I guess I've adapted to it...to do a burnout I just wind it up, dump the clutch in 2nd gear and nail the brakes...works great. As far as at the line, never had a problem with rolling out. I dunno, just my .02.

Brian