Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

still having problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default still having problems

ok i am still having the same stumbling problem. i patched up the intake elbow and that didn't fix it. i also disconnected the o2 sensor and ran it. still not fixed. i think it might be the cat, cause it gets worse when it gets warm. the cat rattles when it gets warm, and the warmer it gets the more the it rattles. i look at the bottom of it and i noticed a few scrapes. and the day all this started i accidentally ran over the fill caps kinda fast, so the cat could have been jared.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, if the cat's clogged up with material because it broke apart, then that would definitely cause some issues.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also check over all of your plug wires at least, and possibly check out the plugs themselves, make sure they are all seated good as well as the color.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

well i don't think it is the plugs cause they are only about 2k miles old. also i noticed that the temp under the hood is higher, it smells hotter, but the water temp is fine. also would the cats clogging things up cause it too run richer? one more thing, i haven't plugged my o2 sensor, would my car throw a code cause of that?
Old 03-08-2006, 07:39 AM
10 Second Club

Explain "haven't plugged my o2 sensor". Do you mean it isn't connected? Or you removed it & left the hole in the exhaust? Or what? Front or rear o2? Details please....
Old 03-08-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

its the harness on the o2 thats unpluged. and i only have one, its a 95, so i guess it would be the front if i had 2.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Ohhhh... only one cat and O2 sensor, huh? Well I think I found your problem, Jewbacca... it's a damn LT1!

And I can say that because I own one...
Old 03-08-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

O2 sensor provides feedback to the engine to help ensure AFR is correct. Running without one... BAD.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CHarris
O2 sensor provides feedback to the engine to help ensure AFR is correct. Running without one... BAD.
I agree with Cory...doing this confuses the **** out of your computer. Plug it back in & we'll go from there.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

ok, now i am sure i have found the problem. i finally checked the #7 plug wire, the one that isn't behind its heat sheild, and found that the plastic heat sheild wraped around it was crushed and partialy melted. and when i looked at the wire itself, it use to be grey, is now nice and brown, and it feels like it has a small hole in it. now could my car backfiring sound like the cat rattling? also could anyone help me with changing it out, cause i cant do it at my apartment, i cant even check my oil!
Old 03-08-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

I'm taking credit for this one.

Do you have headers or stock manifolds? Can you tell when the car is running if the wire is arching to the engine/chassis/ground?

I'm not sure where you can get just a length of plug wire anymore, so if you haven't changed the wires while you owned the car and you have some spare cash you may want to do that. It's not hard to change a wire, if you're skinny enough you won't even have to jack the car up for just one wire
Old 03-08-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

also the reson i unhooked the o2 was to put it into an open loop to see if my problem was the o2. the reson i haven't hooked it back up is i cant reach in far enough from the top. so i'd have to jack it up and get at it from the bottom, which i cant do here.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

i replaced the plugs and wires about 6 months ago. and i have stock manafolds, all my mods are in my signature. but the wire is pretty crushed and chared
Old 03-08-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

So you're basically trying to diagnose multiple symptoms via message board. It's never gonna work that way. You're gonna have to start dropping some coin to fix the small stuff that's wrong. All the little stuff can be additive = big pain in the ***.

I've gone through similar a situation with a person where I was tuning for him/her and there were mechanical issues that I was not advised about. I ended up doing SEVERAL tunes to make it run right because I kept compensating for the broken stuff the owner didn't tell me about. I wasted a LOT of valuable time and effort.

You've got to start fixing the small the stuff as you find it and make sure it is all up to standard. Go over it carefully and you'll figure it out. Or drop it off at a shop and pay. One way or the other. Internet troubleshooting is just too hard when details are left out.

Heres another tip - Don't take it for granted that something is good. I've ruined plugs in less than a day when the AFRs were way out.

Quick Reply: still having problems