Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Dyno Results

Old 03-25-2006, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno Results

Pretty weak numbers today 301 HP, 296 TQ.

Then coming home I get a flashing SES light, then it would come on constant, then back to flashing??? Since the SES light is on I am driving easy but it seems down on power. Get home pop the hood and notice the #1 plug wire hanging from the coil pack.

So how do you adjust the numbers for running on 7 cylinders???
Old 03-25-2006, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

That might explain those numbers. Damn!!! We should have looked at that.

I had a little more luck than Steve did. I found some issues & resolved them (s/c belt was loose & it was losing boost over 5k, MAF was maxed out, car was PIG rich). My new numbers are 526rwhp, and get this - 592.9rwtq!!! And yes that IS in SAE values. Holy Christ Batman, where did that come from? And that came down low, so I know it isn't from hitting 8 psi (oh yeah, it hits 8 psi now too!). The other improvement is fuel pressure. It now pulls right up to 7k @ a steady 60 psi. Yeah baby.....
Old 03-25-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

x2, you have a beasr there
Old 03-25-2006, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

well congrats mark!!!! steve sorry to hear that.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL Well if your runing 301 on 7 then you have a monster on your hands!! Cool you found it easily sometimes things like that can be a serious PITA!
Old 03-25-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe if you guys put louvers on the back windows you would pick up some horsepower.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER

I had a little more luck than Steve did. I found some issues & resolved them (s/c belt was loose & it was losing boost over 5k, MAF was maxed out, car was PIG rich). My new numbers are 526rwhp, and get this - 592.9rwtq!!! And yes that IS in SAE values. Holy Christ Batman, where did that come from? And that came down low, so I know it isn't from hitting 8 psi (oh yeah, it hits 8 psi now too!). The other improvement is fuel pressure. It now pulls right up to 7k @ a steady 60 psi. Yeah baby.....
There ya go! Thats why I was asking about your heads.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin
Pretty weak numbers today 301 HP, 296 TQ.

Then coming home I get a flashing SES light, then it would come on constant, then back to flashing??? Since the SES light is on I am driving easy but it seems down on power. Get home pop the hood and notice the #1 plug wire hanging from the coil pack.

So how do you adjust the numbers for running on 7 cylinders???
Bummer man. It probably came off when I put the leads on. So much blackness under that hood, I just didnt see it. Im going to talk to mike on tues and make sure you are taken care of. I think what we need to do is get you a smaller plug wire for dynoing. Anyway Im really sorry and I promise we will make this right.

E.J.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Wow mark, picked up 100rwtq? I didnt even know you did any other power mods?
Old 03-25-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

That's a bummer Steve...though like someone else said, you do have some good horsepower there running that much with 7 cylinders...yikes...

And Mark, that just Rocks! Holy Cow I was not expecting that much! Congratulations!!
Old 03-25-2006, 09:56 PM
Tech Addict

I have dyno vids for mark, steve, darrel and tyler. you guys pm me your emails and I'll shoot em off to ya. Pretty decent mpegs for a 200 dollar digicam.

There was a pontiac deal there before we got there. Lots of 1st gen firebirds, a ****** sweet 70 or 71 formula that put down 500+ at the rear. A couple GTO's. one of the first gen firebirds put down 418/477 n/a with a 455, that was a damned nice car top to bottom. he took off the air cleaner for a run and lost power. that was a good lesson there.

Smokey burnouts by all when everybody left.

That was a damned fun day.

Steve, your wire must have been loose from the get go, I think thats why there was problems getting the dyno to talk to your car when hooking it up.

Nice to finally meet EJ and Tyler face to face.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Poik
Wow mark, picked up 100rwtq? I didnt even know you did any other power mods?
I think that came with tuning and and mostly tightening up the belt on the supercharger so it didn't slip.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a very good day and you both are hopeful for more based on each of you having minor issues. Very nice numbers all things considered.

I gotta say Mark... you're making more than I thought you would! I knew it would be good... but not that good!
Old 03-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Pathological Modifier

Is this the same place you Dynoed previously?

Ryan
Old 03-25-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rokko
Steve, your wire must have been loose from the get go, I think thats why there was problems getting the dyno to talk to your car when hooking it up.
Well I guess that is possible. Either way we will have to get her back on the rack and make it right.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER

The newfound torque may very well be from overall belt traction. Where as your peak boost went up from a lack of belt slippage you could be getting boost at a lower rpm and more boost through the curve. It could also be that your converter didnt flash up quite so hard due to the taller gears and allowed the dyno to pick up your torque numbers further up in the slope.
Or it could be a combination of both. Whatever it is the cars a friggin monsta.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:53 AM
10 Second Club

Yes Ryan, this is the place I dynoed the last time. It's 6 blocks from my house & they always treat us right, so it's about the only place I go anymore.

I will go scan the dyno chart & post it. From looking at it, the 2 things that made the numbers better IMO are the taller gears so the converter hits earlier & harder (as EJ said) and the belt doesn't slip so it makes power higher. It was dying at 6500, now it still climbs at 7000. But in truth, the lines are virtually the same other than more torque lower. And it's safer now with good fuel pressure (+ the base dyno tune setup....thanks Ellis).

A note about the 70 something Formie, he sprayed on the last 500+ run, on stock powdered rods. Made Mike take about 20 steps back!
Old 03-26-2006, 10:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan K
Is this the same place you Dynoed previously?

Ryan

Yup Same place. They are still running winpep6. You should go get a run or two there Ryan. I bet you get over 700Ft of TQ

Damn Nice Numbers Guys!
Old 03-26-2006, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by VIKING
Maybe if you guys put louvers on the back windows you would pick up some horsepower.
Oh yeah, "that car" was there too. (the red TA with louvers on the back window & purple neon lights ) He has an STS now & put down 411? hp.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Well all and all I was having a pretty decent day yesterday till I found out about Steves car. Thats still bothering me. We had a good dyno day with alot of very nice cars. Marks car finally drove away good and happy(and he actually wants to do more). Tyler made his rather effortless 500 rw. My car finally showed up from the tint guy so I didnt have to get a ride home.
I even got into it with a C6 at a stop light for a couple gears going up 4th street towards hwy 9. That was fun, although Marysville has to be one of the dumbest places to do that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dyno Results