Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

wtb rear end

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 07:27 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default wtb rear end

well there you have it i would like to buy a 12 bolt or 9" for my 01 z looking for 4.10 4.30 or 4.56 possibly 3.90 i just want to get one locally if you own a shop locally and are not a sponsor just pm me a number. i have nothing against buying a new one i just want it so i can drive there and drive away with it. or if you have a used one and i can save a few bucks even better
thanks a bunch btw in in the ft.lewis area
Old 04-13-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You plan on making this a race only car? Cuz anything over 4.10 on the street, ESPECIALLY if it is your daily driver, is gonna be hard on the gas gauge, your wallet and the drivetrain IMHO. ESPECIALLY 4.56 gears.

Just my $.02 Most guys I know run either 3.73, 3.90 or 4.10 max on the street.

Also, if your car is a manual trans, I would (and several other here would prolly agree) stay away from the 12 bolt. Great rear end for an auto car, but many M6 cars are killing those rear ends. The recommendation is a 9 inch or a Dana 60 for M6 guys like me.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:18 PM
8 Second Club

i hear what you are saying and all but alot of guys break stuff because they either drive like ******** all the time or they go to the track all the time. i drove my car as my dd with a t-rex cam and 4.10s and i am sure i can handle 4.56s. the car is a 6sp and i maybe go to the track 3-4 times a year. btw i still have the stock rear with 4.10s that make no noise and have seen many passes on drs and slicks. the only reason i even want to upgrade is cause i think i am going to start going to the track alot more and dont want o worry about it
Old 04-14-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ablakez28
i hear what you are saying and all but alot of guys break stuff because they either drive like ******** all the time or they go to the track all the time. i drove my car as my dd with a t-rex cam and 4.10s and i am sure i can handle 4.56s. the car is a 6sp and i maybe go to the track 3-4 times a year. btw i still have the stock rear with 4.10s that make no noise and have seen many passes on drs and slicks. the only reason i even want to upgrade is cause i think i am going to start going to the track alot more and dont want o worry about it
Then you are definitely the exception to the rule my friend.......T-rex cam? Slicks? DR's? Stock 10 bolt? Recipie for disaster. Do it as long a you can get away with it but don't be shocked if you need a tow home from the track due to a busted rear end. As for 4.56's, I hope you don't do a lot of freeway driving cuz your gas mileage will drop.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:10 AM
8 Second Club

not trying to rain on your parade but sure disaster waiting to happen maybe something to worry about yes is it going to explode everytime i drop the hammer no. i have seen my fair share or 10 bolts explode and i have seen plenty survive many years such as my own. if it is a car that is just drivin maybe some fun from a roll sometimes and then launched hard 5-8 times a year im sorry but it will last. hence why i want a new one now cause i know i am going to go to the track more often. http://www.f-body.org/gears/ now well im not sure how fast you go on the freeway but 1900 at 64 2200 at 74 would be driveable as far as i am concerned especially since you dont really want to drive a t-rex sized cam under 2k much. so back on topic anvone have a rearend yet they want to get rid of. and i really cant believe there are no local vendors that would want to sell one
Old 04-15-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

not trying to rain on your parade but sure disaster waiting to happen maybe something to worry about yes is it going to explode everytime i drop the hammer no. i have seen my fair share or 10 bolts explode and i have seen plenty survive many years such as my own. if it is a car that is just drivin maybe some fun from a roll sometimes and then launched hard 5-8 times a year im sorry but it will last. hence why i want a new one now cause i know i am going to go to the track more often. http://www.f-body.org/gears/ now well im not sure how fast you go on the freeway but 1900 at 64 2200 at 74 would be driveable as far as i am concerned especially since you dont really want to drive a t-rex sized cam under 2k much. so back on topic anvone have a rearend yet they want to get rid of. and i really cant believe there are no local vendors that would want to sell one
You are not raining on my parade dude. Just offering up some real world experience for you to take or leave. I promise, no skin off my nose either way. As I have always said on these things, it is YOUR car, so you do whatever YOU want to do with it. And I wish you the best of luck and I hope you have one of the magic 10 bolts that doesn't fall apart rapidly. Mine is about ready for it's second rebuild in less then a year and I baby my car and has only been down the track 3 times since the first rebuild with me babying it off the line.

Again, good luck and enjoy the hell out of whatever you do with it. That is why we come here.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:23 PM
8 Second Club

sorry if i jumped into you some just alot of people act like starting a car will break a rear end and same goes for large cams hell i was on of the first to have the g5x3 cam almost 3 years ago and at the time all i heard was how it couldnt be done and how outrageous it was blah blah. anyhow nick w and i did it he tuned it and i drove it everyday. so yea i guess it all comes down to what the person driving it feels like dealing with. btw why bother rebuilding your rear end when you can buy my magic one once i get something beefy. on topic i still need a new rear if anyone has one for sale so i can start going to the track alot and not worrying about it
Old 04-15-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Veteran

sorry if i jumped into you some just alot of people act like starting a car will break a rear end and same goes for large cams hell i was on of the first to have the g5x3 cam almost 3 years ago and at the time all i heard was how it couldnt be done and how outrageous it was blah blah. anyhow nick w and i did it he tuned it and i drove it everyday. so yea i guess it all comes down to what the person driving it feels like dealing with. btw why bother rebuilding your rear end when you can buy my magic one once i get something beefy. on topic i still need a new rear if anyone has one for sale so i can start going to the track alot and not worrying about it
No worries, misunderstandings happen all the time. But if you start reading some of the older threads in this section, you will see drivetrain destruction is a way of life around these parts.

As for why bother rebuilding mine? Cuz it was 1st done under warranty so they are gonna do it again for free while I decide what "real" rear end I want to put under my <cough cough> beast....9 inch or Dana 60. Besides, when I buy another one, it sure as hell will NOT be a 10 bolt. I don't care how magical it is.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:54 AM
8 Second Club

i dont know i just think i see alot of people buying a new rear that never see anything but summer tires and guys will put in a 210 .550 cam with double roller chain ported oil pump etc.... i just think people go too far sometimes is all. they read one stry of something and they think theirs is now going to break tomorrow.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

i dont know i just think i see alot of people buying a new rear that never see anything but summer tires and guys will put in a 210 .550 cam with double roller chain ported oil pump etc.... i just think people go too far sometimes is all. they read one stry of something and they think theirs is now going to break tomorrow.
As I have said many many many times.....to each their own. BUT if you read in this forum (or pretty much any other LSx/LTx forum), you WILL see/hear about a LOT of drivetrain destruction and even now, the resident (local) guru for our cars is heavily recommending AGAINST even using a 12 bolt for M6 cars........I am not one to run out and do something just because it happened to one person. BUT my own personal experience with my 10 bolts is not positive, my good friend had his 10 bolt demolished before he ever went down the track & I can think of dozens of other cases (people I actually know) where 10 bolts have just up & died for no apparent reason. they ARE the weak link in our cars. Not to say that some of them don't last, but when I get serious about upgrading my HP, I will NOT be keeping this POS 10 bolt.

And in all honesty, even your "summer only drivers" upgrading their car's weak spots is not a bad thing if they have the money and want to. It is THEIR money and car, so who are we to come down on them for being proactive?