Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Made a deal on a vette

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006 | 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Made a deal on a vette

Well I guess I didn't need to worry about test driving a vette

Getting a 99 Pewter FRC, M6, Z51 suspension (all frc have m6 and z51) 77,000 miles. Going to LA next weekend to pick it up.

I decided not to trade in my car for it, so I'll sell it myself, which means that I had to come up with some money to buy the vette outright.

Now I just need to work on getting some different wheels....I hate the wagon wheels. Can't decide what I want, but I'll have a month or two to decide. Right now I'm thinking stock C5 Z06 wheels, but we'll see.
Old 06-03-2006 | 01:22 AM
TECH Resident

Congrats! It looks like a nice car!
Old 06-03-2006 | 02:07 AM
TECH Addict

Looking good.

You can get some aftermarket C5 wheels in a more attractive style for about $500 if you look hard. The coolest cheap ones go for $1000 or so.
Old 06-03-2006 | 02:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Excellent!
I was wondering if you would have better luck out of state - its just too expensive in the NW

And the rims in the sig line of the second post...they would look good on your new ride
Old 06-03-2006 | 03:41 AM
TECH Addict

I saw some wagon whees that the center of were powdercoated black and the outsid elip was polished up and they loooked really hoodk, but if you do dc5 wheels thats would also look prertty goood on that car.
Old 06-03-2006 | 04:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just remember, to license an out of state car you have to pay the "use fee" which is about 10% of the full local RETAIL value, as determined by DOL's book. Expect it to be in the $2-3k range.

Gotta love WA government...
Old 06-03-2006 | 05:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Crisisman
Just remember, to license an out of state car you have to pay the "use fee" which is about 10% of the full local RETAIL value, as determined by DOL's book. Expect it to be in the $2-3k range.

Gotta love WA government...
I thought you just had to pay the tax amount on the 'book' value?
One way to get it lower is take it to a shop, get any quotes for work it *may* need, nose to tail, top to bottom.
Lowered the T/A registration a chunk of change right there.

my guess is it doesn't need work but rock chips count....

Trending Topics

Old 06-03-2006 | 08:04 AM
12 Second Club

Pewter is a great color congrats.
Old 06-03-2006 | 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Got any pics of these alleged wagon wheels? I am always down for a change.

Oh yeah, congrats on getting the car......if you need a road trip buddy, I have plenty of free time and know the route/area pretty well.

When ya going?
Old 06-03-2006 | 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the offer Rott, but my wife is going with me (unless you want to ride on the roof )

We're flying out Thursday night. Taking Friday though Monday off of work to make a little mini vacation out of it too.
Old 06-03-2006 | 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats on the car!!!
Old 06-03-2006 | 04:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
Thanks for the offer Rott, but my wife is going with me (unless you want to ride on the roof )

We're flying out Thursday night. Taking Friday though Monday off of work to make a little mini vacation out of it too.
Thanks, but bugs in my teeth isn't my thing.
Old 06-04-2006 | 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GEARHED
One way to get it lower is take it to a shop, get any quotes for work it *may* need, nose to tail, top to bottom.
Lowered the T/A registration a chunk of change right there.

my guess is it doesn't need work but rock chips count....
This is exactly right. They'll assume it's in perfect condition unless you have the paperwork to show otherwise.

Enjoy your Vette!
Old 06-04-2006 | 01:27 AM
Pathological Modifier

Originally Posted by Crisisman
This is exactly right. They'll assume it's in perfect condition unless you have the paperwork to show otherwise.

Enjoy your Vette!
You couldn't possibly be more wrong...

Actually, having bought several used cars out of state, you will pay sales tax on the amount that you purchased the car for at the standard sales tax rate. However, if the guy you buy it from will leave the Sales price blank, you can pay sales tax on $2K BELOW the NADA/Kelly Blue book price (use NADA).

Ryan

Last edited by Ryan K; 06-04-2006 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-04-2006 | 01:31 AM
Pathological Modifier

NADA lists the cars average retail at $20.8K and the Trade in value at $17.8K the DMV will allow you to take $2K off of that without asking any questions... As long as the "listed sale price" isn't higher.

Ryan

Basic Information:

$3,000 policy - Purchase price is used when the average fair market value of a vehicle or vessel is $3,000 or under.
$2,000 leeway - Purchase price is used when the purchase price is at or above, or no more than $2,000 below the average fair market value.
Declaration of Buyer and Seller form - The purchase price can be used when the buyer and seller of a vehicle or vessel uses this form to document the purchase price and condition of the vehicle or vessel.
Other value source - Customer brings in a copy of an "average retail value" from another industry source. If the purchase price is no more than $2,000 below that source's average fair market value, then purchase price is used.
The Department of Revenue receives transaction reports (Their review could result in an audit followed by billing for unpaid use tax plus penalties and interest).
Old 06-04-2006 | 04:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was unaware of the section allowing other industry sources, that is good to know and can surely save a bit. You're still paying on retail-$2k though, which is surely more than you actually paid(unless you're buying a low value car or don't know how to haggle).

For example, my GTO retails by NADA at around $25k. Trade in is around $18k. I can go get one today for $20k from out of state. Unless I have the paperwork I'll be taxed on 25-2 = $23k, which means I'll be paying about $300 more in taxes than if I'd bought the thing locally at the same price. The Declaration of Buyer and Seller then allows me to effectively reduce my tax liability by listing all the issues with the vehicle, since it's used, which can potentially lower my tax liability by $100's.

If I've got that wrong, please let me know, cause I've been thinking of trading in for an out of state 06 GTO. (which reminds me...sales tax is only applied to the net sale price after trade-in value is deducted, but IIRC the use tax doesn't get reduced that way)

Last edited by Crisisman; 06-04-2006 at 05:02 AM.
Old 06-04-2006 | 12:42 PM
teh PuRpL3z

That's true, Ryan, but if you buy a car that is a little beat up they will try to **** you. I had to bring my Formula to an office where I could park the car within eyesight of the window so they could see it wasn't in perfect shape. They were trying to charge me sales tax on $11K when my bill of sale said I paid $8500 for it.