Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Never Give Up (PR results)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 09:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never Give Up (PR results)

After we drove 65 miles thru threatening skies to Pacific yesterday, I unload the car & make a time trial. The car runs 10.93 @122, and I'm thinking OK, it's right where it was last week, only 1/2 tenth faster. I notice the car is making a strange noise, but ignore it. So I dial 10.95 thinking I can just tap the brakes, right.

So on the 1st elimination round from the rain-ot race I get to the end & I blow by the other car & tap the brakes (my 125mph vs his 105 mph is a LOT more than I thought it was BTW) and I run a 10.88 @ 114! This time the noise is a little more pronounced. Sounds like the D/S is hitting the loop. I crawl under & look, and sure enough, the balance weight has a mark on it.

WTF OVER?! I just broke out out the brakes. AND I feel good about it too! Except for the DS of course. So while the elims go on, I make another time trial just to see what the car will run. This time the DS noise takes over. I mean it's BAD!!! And even tho I run a 10.86 @ 128.7, I'm pissed.....on the trailer the car goes. FRACK!!!

So I'm wandering around the staging lanes whining (sorry, I WAS dissapointed) & ol Done Berry says to me NEVER GIVE UP SON, stage the car & get your point. Who knows what will happen?

So I get in line for this weeks race with my 10.85 dial, do my burnout (I'm racing a 21 sec truck) and stage. The truck takes off and heads down the track....and keeps going....and going....and going. I think I'm racing that damn energizer bunny. WHen he gets to 1/2 track my lights come down. So I take off like I'm entering the freeway & cruise down the track. HE BREAKS OUT! He never looked back & ran an 18-something. Meanwhile I ran a 15.4 @ 75.

So I re-dial to 15.85 and line up against a 13.x Mustang. My lights come down & I take off. He knows I've been running 10 & freaks out. WHen his lights start he off course red-lights! Damn, I'm making rounds in a broken car. You know, sometimes that Don knows what he's talkin about. Not often, but once in a while he has a gem.

So the next round (1/ finals) I line up against Kent Magruders daughter. Her Mustang is dialed in. She's been running 15.2xs on a 15.20 dial. So I dial 14.45 figure I'll try to cut a good light & run her down. I thought I cut a GREAT light. I was shocked the red monster didn't come on. I catch her right away & just play all the way down the track. I crossed the finish line about 1/2 a fender in front thinking WOO-HOO, I'm in the semis. Only to find out my "great light" was a .225 and she won. Oh well, hard to feel bad about getting as far as I did. Plus I felt really good for her. She was having a blast last night.

Anyway, all in all it was a good night even tho my tranny mount IS broken.

I'll let all the others tell their stories.....
Old 06-10-2006, 09:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Way to go Mark! Yes that little Girl was stomping on Ego's last night It was great!

We had a great time. I could have used more then one T/O but that is how it goes. I drew Kenny First round. Looking at the slip it was a close race. Wish i could have had a better trip to the light. I might of had a better light..oh well

After Talking to Jay about how things were going at the track and seeing what they are planning for PR I felt alot better

So after Cheering for the Team for a while I decided to get a few run's the Stephs car. I needed practice and wanted to see if it had a 12 in it. so we yanked every thing out of the car we had brought with us and the spare tire for good measure. Line her up and take a full shot....13.04! Not bad lets cool it down and try again...13.04! DAMN!! So at this point I ripp every thing out of the car that is not bolted down...AND the front seat....Looking Like a ricer event in the pits I get back in line and work my way to the front. they just ran all the street cars. I did not think any thing about it. I do a good burn out...give 'That' guy a smile as I roll by spinning and get staged. I stage as shallow as i can....light flickering...Lights come down and I HAMMER it..Up in smoke the tires go, I figure F-IT I stay in it! It is spinning hard but it is going pretty straight! She tagg's Second gear and is STILL spinning! I go through the 60FT at 1.90 and she is still spinning! Some where three to four seconds into the run she slowly starts to hook and the Grabb's and I am off!

I got me a soilid 14.4 pass instead of the 12 I was looking for....but it sure looked COOL!!

Had a great time last night! Now it is time to go clean the car up for the display!
Old 06-10-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man I had a blast last night! Car was cosistent and for once the driver was too! I really thought that girl was going to take me out too! I got her for you Mark! I almost felt bad about taking her out but...Nah finally after driving six speeds and one GTP since 98. I was good enough (and consistent enough) to get to finals and it took a 4900 dollar 12 year old 122,000 mile LT1 to do it. Car ran good on the way home too Where I sat in Bridge traffic for over a half hour because they had a lane shut down.

Anyway In the final round I ran way off my dial because I hadn't turned my cooling fan on and when I stage I realized the engine temp was at the LT1 factory fan set point like 230! 14.42 on a 14.27.
Wouldn't have mattered anyway, because Kenny can cut a light!

Oh yeah in the second round...I actually got the by!!

Best part for me was...I took out 3 Fords...Just kidding and I did finally get to race Russ in his GTO and that was pretty fun we always wanted to line up.

Last edited by My1st Truck; 06-10-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

You guys ran real good last night. Congrats to Mike and Jason for taking home some hardware. Can't believe Mark stayed in so long after breaking. Just goes to show you how good of a racer he has become. I really think Ellis could have taken Kenny out if that *** CLOWN at the staging lanes had not given him **** about his windows being down. Sure wish I could have raced last night. The conditions were very nice to run some fast times. Hopefully Saturday will be just as nice.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on getting to the finals, Mike! I got a damn redlight in the first round... and I NEVER redlight. I was so damn angry, I took my foot off the gas right after and it took me a second to remember to finish the race.

I am starting to get really worried about my car though... even though it doesn't feel bad or sound bad, it's running slower, and it's at least 2-3mph off what it was last year. I think where it's losing power is at the top end of the track, because it still will leave the line hard... I dunno, but it's just depressing for the car to get slower.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Well it was great to go out and race finally! Kinda nice to bring home some hardware too!
Old 06-10-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

WELL NOW,.........What a night!!!!!!!!!!!Ya,...I got some good film and,...... a lot of jerkey sea sick inducing one too many looken blurie stuff, .....Its just some of the racing actualy was, GOOD,....simple,.. and I guess every time I wanted to look around the view finder It,....eh,.........moved,...a lot! OH well Its the first time I used that camera,.....My own 'lil "MILF" didnt even notice it was gone! some good racing, I know, I know, all racing is good but,....after some slow starts (at least 5 cars pissed OIL on the track) but about two hours into the "challange" "IT" all came together you know that rythum.... Sound, smoke, feel. Ya we were seeing some good racing and I for one was not suprised to see a,....eh,.....a little over reaction (in my view) to Ellis having his window a CRACK open as something like that happend to me too when your totaly focussing on the bad boy next to you and just when you are expecting the "tree" to go off your door FLYS open and some guy is screeming when all he would have to do is just tap the window and explane his concern! and one more observation and Im probubly wrong but it seemed to me that the "tree" was just a little strange last night like the amber was "falling" just a tiny bit slower. not realy a big deal but some times I felt some good drivers "red lighted" when they seemed to be about right! anyway we all had a good time I did (Im sure everyone got laid back home)
Old 06-10-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, even though I finally did well and it was at PIR, I still hate that place and some of people who run it are very rude...If you can't handle all the cars don't ******* run them all then. I asked someone what to do about my by run. "how the hell should I know, the other track official is running it." No need to be rude dick head.
It seems to me they only care about the Pro-Street cars. I payed my ******* money. I deserve the same respect that they get.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

It's just so close to me I have to like it... I need to get out to Bremerton again soon.

I have to say I had some nice lights in eliminations. .005 -.019 (aggresive on bye run) .053 & .047 I also did a t/t run after w/ a .023

I'm ready to get out and knock off those points I gave to PNWCC!

Jason
Old 06-10-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah I had an .005, .045, .043, .054, The rest were like .12x. It much easier to pull a good lite in Auto car IMO.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:20 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER

ol Done Berry says to me NEVER GIVE UP SON, stage the car & get your point. Who knows what will happen?

You know, sometimes that Don knows what he's talkin about. Not often, but once in a while he has a gem.

I think you should share those points with me since I'm so lame. I bulbed with a -.003 in the first round.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
After we drove 65 miles thru threatening skies to Pacific yesterday, I unload the car & make a time trial. The car runs 10.93 @122, and I'm thinking OK, it's right where it was last week, only 1/2 tenth faster. I notice the car is making a strange noise, but ignore it. So I dial 10.95 thinking I can just tap the brakes, right.

So on the 1st elimination round from the rain-ot race I get to the end & I blow by the other car & tap the brakes (my 125mph vs his 105 mph is a LOT more than I thought it was BTW) and I run a 10.88 @ 114! This time the noise is a little more pronounced. Sounds like the D/S is hitting the loop. I crawl under & look, and sure enough, the balance weight has a mark on it.

WTF OVER?! I just broke out out the brakes. AND I feel good about it too! Except for the DS of course. So while the elims go on, I make another time trial just to see what the car will run. This time the DS noise takes over. I mean it's BAD!!! And even tho I run a 10.86 @ 128.7, I'm pissed.....on the trailer the car goes. FRACK!!!

So I'm wandering around the staging lanes whining (sorry, I WAS dissapointed) & ol Done Berry says to me NEVER GIVE UP SON, stage the car & get your point. Who knows what will happen?

So I get in line for this weeks race with my 10.85 dial, do my burnout (I'm racing a 21 sec truck) and stage. The truck takes off and heads down the track....and keeps going....and going....and going. I think I'm racing that damn energizer bunny. WHen he gets to 1/2 track my lights come down. So I take off like I'm entering the freeway & cruise down the track. HE BREAKS OUT! He never looked back & ran an 18-something. Meanwhile I ran a 15.4 @ 75.

So I re-dial to 15.85 and line up against a 13.x Mustang. My lights come down & I take off. He knows I've been running 10 & freaks out. WHen his lights start he off course red-lights! Damn, I'm making rounds in a broken car. You know, sometimes that Don knows what he's talkin about. Not often, but once in a while he has a gem.

So the next round (1/ finals) I line up against Kent Magruders daughter. Her Mustang is dialed in. She's been running 15.2xs on a 15.20 dial. So I dial 14.45 figure I'll try to cut a good light & run her down. I thought I cut a GREAT light. I was shocked the red monster didn't come on. I catch her right away & just play all the way down the track. I crossed the finish line about 1/2 a fender in front thinking WOO-HOO, I'm in the semis. Only to find out my "great light" was a .225 and she won. Oh well, hard to feel bad about getting as far as I did. Plus I felt really good for her. She was having a blast last night.

Anyway, all in all it was a good night even tho my tranny mount IS broken.

Congrats Mark on a new best. I saw your 15 sec run and was wondering what the... I only stayed a minute though, just to keep some racing in my blood, as I had to be somewhere.
Robert
Old 06-11-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Way to go Mark! Yes that little Girl was stomping on Ego's last night It was great!

We had a great time. I could have used more then one T/O but that is how it goes. I drew Kenny First round. Looking at the slip it was a close race. Wish i could have had a better trip to the light. I might of had a better light..oh well

After Talking to Jay about how things were going at the track and seeing what they are planning for PR I felt alot better

So after Cheering for the Team for a while I decided to get a few run's the Stephs car. I needed practice and wanted to see if it had a 12 in it. so we yanked every thing out of the car we had brought with us and the spare tire for good measure. Line her up and take a full shot....13.04! Not bad lets cool it down and try again...13.04! DAMN!! So at this point I ripp every thing out of the car that is not bolted down...AND the front seat....Looking Like a ricer event in the pits I get back in line and work my way to the front. they just ran all the street cars. I did not think any thing about it. I do a good burn out...give 'That' guy a smile as I roll by spinning and get staged. I stage as shallow as i can....light flickering...Lights come down and I HAMMER it..Up in smoke the tires go, I figure F-IT I stay in it! It is spinning hard but it is going pretty straight! She tagg's Second gear and is STILL spinning! I go through the 60FT at 1.90 and she is still spinning! Some where three to four seconds into the run she slowly starts to hook and the Grabb's and I am off!

I got me a soilid 14.4 pass instead of the 12 I was looking for....but it sure looked COOL!!

Had a great time last night! Now it is time to go clean the car up for the display!
Ellis, you spray the Blue Beast yet? ya, I have heard they are going to do some upgrades at PIR, and did notice the new stands. What's the scoop, details?
Robert
Old 06-11-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Great Night Everyone! I'm uploading pictures right now..The video's aren't very good though, they are pretty choppy, but I haven't watched all of them yet. I need to get a regular video camera.

Ellis's car is down right now (opti problems) so he drove my car...I think his quickest run was a 13.04...he was trying to get into the 12's so he took out everything including the front seat, then went down the track spinning most of the way and ran a 14.14 I think..I had to go ask people what he ran because I thought I was seeing things when I saw the 14 up there..

We might just have to put the slicks on my car and run it, if Mark won't put them on his!
Old 06-11-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Now this is the kind of stuff that makes everything all better

Sounds like no more kid gloves on the cars - running with a broken trans mount takes some ***** and dedication; tossing out the junk in the trunk just to make sure you stay in; cutting .005 lights; getting owned by a grl who wasn't intimidated...
THAT IS RACING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we should take a vote on the track name - change it back to S. I. R. since it sounds like things are coming full circle
Old 06-11-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Pics for your enjoyment

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...06%20CCC%20PR/

Old 06-11-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ellis, you have a PM
Old 06-11-2006, 01:57 PM
10 Second Club

Nice pics Steph! I really like the 15.85 dial on my window. Funny the guy I raced didn't notice it......
Old 06-11-2006, 03:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Look here is that jack *** beating on the window! You can see his hand moving! Even Kenny was pissed off at him!

Old 06-11-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Look here is that jack *** beating on the window! You can see his hand moving!

I really wish I would have had the video running at that moment...

Quick Reply: Never Give Up (PR results)