Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Goin to talk to Randy (Randy's Custom Exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Goin to talk to Randy (Randy's Custom Exhaust)

tomorrow......any suggestions or things I need to know? He isn't going to do any work but give my car the once over and let me know what my options are............talked to him on the phone today and he seemed like a good guy, just not sure if there is anything I should or shouldn't do/say around him.

I figured I needed to get off my *** and do this NOW since my car has been backfiring thru the cats lately, is way down on power and last night I saw a smoke-like substance coming out of the passenger side exhaust tip (the bad cat side).

And since I may be taking it down to L.A. at the end of the month, I should have it running semi-reliably beore then.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He's cool.

Not too social, that was the only thing I wasn't sure if I was doing wrong. After going back there at least 5 times it's all the same. Or maybe I just like to jibber jabber.

His work gets straight to the point though and he's one of the best locally for sure!
Old 07-07-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Sweet, thanks......just trying to get an idea if he can salvage my TD setup or if I have to scrap the whole thing and start over.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He did some wonderful work on my headers. He also did a true dual setup on someone's Formula. Forget his name, young kid who had to sell it. Somebody help me out here.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

Ive known Randy for quite a while. Really good guy and he does awesome work.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:40 AM
10 Second Club

Yep, Randy is a good guy, & does GREAT work! Just tell him what you want, or he'll do it his way. Which isn't bad, but if there is something particular you really want done, let him know. He is flexible, and can figure out how to get it done.....
Old 07-08-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Alll I want is working cats, clamps instead of welds everywhere for when something goes bad again and some more ground clearance.......nothing too tricky I hope.......definitely want clamps where the header collectors meet up with the new pipes so they can be undone for clutch removals/installs.......pretty much everything else I don't give a rat's *** about.........
Old 07-08-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

I can echo Mark's above comments. Just give him an idea what you want done and he will be straight with you. When he did my GTO exhaust I asked him to leave the majority of the stock system intact (OEM Stainless 2.5" duals) and just replace the mufflers with Dynomax UltraFlos and the resonator with Magnaflo X. We both crawled under the car, he looked at it for a few minutes, and asked me when I could bring it in. Great guy to work with IMO.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Well I took the car to him yesterday and either he just wasn't interested in doing the work or I don't know but he was defintely less then enthused.......didn't bother to put it up on a rack or anything to look at it, just laid down on the ground in the parking lot (and made sure to tell me that he couldn't tell much of anything until I left it at his shop to get worked on)........basically said he could/would replace the cats ($200 give or take - not sure if that even includes cats) and then he would "try" to do something about the clearance issues, but no guarantees...........after we finished talking he said it would be about a grand and 2-4 days give or take on both.........and not even sure if he could do anything like I asked (clamps instead of welds at the header collector, cats and mufflers). He was pushing some $60/ea Flowmaster pieces that more or less take the place of clamps which look great, but they are not cheap and he wasn't positive it would work.

Needless to say, I am rather frustrated. I am just contemplating saying "f*ck it" and finding someone to UNweld the exhaust from the headers and buying the TSP true dual setup.......for $400 (plus whatever it costs to get it "unwelded") it seems like the easiest/cheapest way to keep my duals and get my clearance back.........

edit: These are the header collector pieces he wants to use......

Old 07-09-2006, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

I have one of those joints on my car & it is nice. You can always ask EJ (turbo50) if he would make you a custom exhaust. He does NICE work, tho it's not their specialty.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I have one of those joints on my car & it is nice. You can always ask EJ (turbo50) if he would make you a custom exhaust. He does NICE work, tho it's not their specialty.
They looked nice, I just was a bit unhappy at the lack of interest/lack of any remotely close to actual estimate/time frame........I know it can't be exact, but "could be $200" could be a grand, could be more" just kinda dampened my interest..........anyone here have a welder they can use to unweld my headers? That TSP set up just seems to be the "easy way out" and right now that sounds like a good thing. :\
Old 07-09-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rottluver
anyone here have a welder they can use to unweld my headers?
Home Depot does, it's called a Sawzall
Old 07-09-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Poik
Home Depot does, it's called a Sawzall
I have one of those, I just don't want to permanently damage the headers or their ability to accept a Y-pipe or TD setup either. I just presumed that a sawzall would do some damage to the collectors.......
Old 07-09-2006, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

Just pokin in to see how you Northwest guys are doing. I would suggest a Dotco cut-off tool and cutting wheel. If you have access to a compressor. It will cut nice and clean and shouldn't do any damage so long as you take your time and keep a steady hand. Then some sandpaper to clean up any burs and you're ready to start fresh. You could always go with the 3-bolt flanges as well on the collectors and your exhaust system. That's what I have and it takes no time to drop the duals. I've had to do it twice now for the TC install and poly motor mount install. And there are no leaks. Just my .02.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the suggestion, just no compressor or tool or wheel. Anyone local have one? (And know how to use it)
Old 07-09-2006, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

You could always rent one for a day. Try Bunce rental if there is one close to you. I know there is one in Puyallup, but that's a ways from you. If I was still stationed there, I could get all the stuff from my shop. I cut off my turndowns when I had my duals dumped to try and reduce drone. It really is a clean cut if you can find the tools.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

Darrin, if you want to give it a shot, I have a compressor, lift, plasma cutter, and welder all at my place and I'd be happy to let you use it and help you. Oh, and through Summit those Flowmaster ball flanges are I think 53 for a pair. They are nice pieces...
Old 07-10-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Amorget
Darrin, if you want to give it a shot, I have a compressor, lift, plasma cutter, and welder all at my place and I'd be happy to let you use it and help you. Oh, and through Summit those Flowmaster ball flanges are I think 53 for a pair. They are nice pieces...

I prolly will take you up on that......I am weighing my options (going back to a y pipe and catback, TSP true duals w/o cats or "fixing" what I have......regardless, I will most definitely need your help. Thanks for the offer and I will let ya know in the next week or so. Cool?
Old 07-10-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

That's no problem :-) I'll have to get my 88 TA off the lift, but that is hopefully coming asap anyway
Old 07-10-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Groovy, soon as I hear back about what option will suit me best, I will let ya know.

Quick Reply: Goin to talk to Randy (Randy's Custom Exhaust)