Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

First tow...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 10:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First tow...

Well last night I was up in Mt. Vernon doin my usual saturday night thing. Got back from racing an EVO and smoke started comin out under the hood. Start backing into a spot to check it out and my buddies start freakin out lookin at the ground. Nice puddle of oil there. Started just after I pulled in the lot so I didn't lose much. My guess is one of the oil cooler lines got rubbed through on the crank pulley. Thought I had them tied off enough away but I guess not.

Anyone know what hose/fittings I need to replace those lines with? I'm hopin it's just that and nothing more serious. Oil was all over the front of the motor but it didn't appear to be on the block behind the crank pulley from what I could see. Which is why I think it was just the cooler line.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Tech Addict

Get it up in the air and make sure what it is.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

when i crawled under and looked last night i was pretty sure it was one of the lines. before i zip tied them to the sway bar you could tell they'd rubbed a lil on the pulley. we'll find out tomorrow when i can work on it.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just go to your nearest Truck shop i.e. Motor Trucks Inc. ( there's one in Everett ) and get another piece of 13/32 airbrake ( Yes airbrake ) line, at least I think that's the proper sizing ? Double check to make sure. The fittings are re-usable. The airbrake line shouldn't cost you more than $30 and is rated as equal in pressure ( 1100 psi ) and temp ( 300+ f. ) as the very best braided ( $$$ ) line.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

Who towed you and did the do a good job? It always sucks to break!
Old 07-16-2006, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

jim's towing out of anacortes and he did a great job. it was an articulated flat bed which handeled the lowered car perfectly. and thanks bill I'll try and come up tomorrow after checking it out and making sure. I'll get enough to re-route it too.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Surprised you didn't use Budget Towing

That's too bad, hope you get it fixed up soon Josh. So did you get towed all the way down to Edmonds?
Old 07-16-2006, 05:33 PM
12 Second Club

yup gotta love aaa
Old 07-16-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Something about Mt. Vernon and breaking cars ... I know Mark had problems but that's where I blew mine up as well.

I used Budget Towing when I called AAA. Is there some story I'm missing about them?
Old 07-16-2006, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

K just confirmed by having my dad start it up real quick (oil was just down to the add mark) oil pisses out the cooler lines. I'll get them replaced tomorrow and change the oil and hopefully be back up and running!

but the night wasn't a total loss.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:13 PM
12 Second Club

Got it up and running today after 2 trips to Jim Greene's and one hunt for a 7/8" crow foot and a trip to GI joes and shucks lol. man lol. called LG and they told me -10 AN lines... so I go get -10 lines and plan on reusing the old fittings... nope... old fittings are -8... so I go back and get -8 line and then the guy there (different one) tells me that I can't use those fittings on SS lines. And they're out of straight fittings so I had to get 3 45deg fittings and one 90 deg fitting. Then it was a pain in the **** to get them on the new lines lol. finally got them in and she's runnin good now... Now to just get the clutch replaced lol.

Of course the first part of the day was getting this home from the shop so I could actually work on my car... I may end up sellin it (the box not the tools)... I paid $4000 for it so any offers close to that will be considered and it is a Matco Tools 4th Gen Firebird Funny Car :

Last edited by rookiels1; 07-17-2006 at 11:28 PM.

Quick Reply: First tow...