Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Drove a members 427 C5 Z06 today, a BEAST

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up Drove a members 427 C5 Z06 today, a BEAST

Rollin Black (Perry) let me drive his Z06 today at his son's car wash. This Z06 has it all, a C5R 427 and LS7 heads/intake. Conservatively, I would say 550/600 hp. This monster is a handfull to drive. When I first got on it a little, hitting 2nd was a tail wagging experiance, mucho torque. A little later, I slammed 2nd a little harder and was able to keep it straight, a little wheel hop though from the street tires. Neither time was it a wot run or a full on speed shift, just way to much power. This car needs some serious rubber in the rear, like slicks, or at least some 345 BFG drs. I would sure like to take this bad boy down the strip, an easy mid to low 10.xx car, with traction that is. Maybe Perry will see this and list some of the goodies this Beast has. Thanks for trusting me with your car Perry. When I get the nitrous finished on my Harley, I will let you make a 1/4 mile pass, hehehehe.
Robert
Old 07-16-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds awesome.

I got to ride in a 427 twin turbo Lingenfelter recently and it was beyond absurd.

Those 'vettes are awesome.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tylerb59
Sounds awesome.

I got to ride in a 427 twin turbo Lingenfelter recently and it was beyond absurd.

Those 'vettes are awesome.
Yea, the 427's haul azz. I signed you and your Whipple up against Perry's car for an upcoming segment of PINKS, hope you don't mind.
Robert
Old 07-16-2006, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad Perry got her going again!
Old 07-16-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Glad Perry got her going again!
Yea, you got to see the carnage of the other motor.
Robert
Old 07-16-2006, 10:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Yea, you got to see the carnage of the other motor.
Robert

Yup shoddy work on many level's. I just wish I would of had time to put it back together for him but it was not in the cards this time
Old 07-17-2006, 12:14 AM
10 Second Club

Damn! That's all that comes to mind............DAMN!!!

I wish I was there to see it.

Well from what I heard he had to go through to get this ride where it is, he more than deserves it. Good on you Perry!!! I'm incredibly jelous.......and I'm very glad you finally got what you were trying for. Damn am I jelous!!!!

However.......... You need to keep your eye out for me my freind.......I'll be rolling at least a 402/408 with a heavy direct port setup within the next 2 years!!!!!

Let me know where you'll be next time your out with that monster.........I'd love to see it!!!!!
Old 07-17-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00Vette
Damn! That's all that comes to mind............DAMN!!!

I wish I was there to see it.

Well from what I heard he had to go through to get this ride where it is, he more than deserves it. Good on you Perry!!! I'm incredibly jelous.......and I'm very glad you finally got what you were trying for. Damn am I jelous!!!!

However.......... You need to keep your eye out for me my freind.......I'll be rolling at least a 402/408 with a heavy direct port setup within the next 2 years!!!!!

Let me know where you'll be next time your out with that monster.........I'd love to see it!!!!!
You know he lives right by you. we were crusing graham area. I was going to ask you to go, but I had seen where you stated you would be going to XXX. Yea, it's a car worth checking out. he has coolers for tranny and rear end and so many other goodies. I want a 427.
Robert
Old 07-17-2006, 01:45 AM
10 Second Club

You know he lives right by you. we were crusing graham area. I was going to ask you to go, but I had seen where you stated you would be going to XXX. Yea, it's a car worth checking out. he has coolers for tranny and rear end and so many other goodies. I want a 427.
Robert
I bet I could take him....
Old 07-17-2006, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

I would not bet on it
Old 07-17-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a nice little car to drive around...
Old 07-18-2006, 01:13 AM
Launching!

Rollin Black (Perry) let me drive his Z06 today at his son's car wash. This Z06 has it all, a C5R 427 and LS7 heads/intake. Conservatively, I would say 550/600 hp. This monster is a handfull to drive. When I first got on it a little, hitting 2nd was a tail wagging experiance, mucho torque. A little later, I slammed 2nd a little harder and was able to keep it straight, a little wheel hop though from the street tires. Neither time was it a wot run or a full on speed shift, just way to much power. This car needs some serious rubber in the rear, like slicks, or at least some 345 BFG drs. I would sure like to take this bad boy down the strip, an easy mid to low 10.xx car, with traction that is. Maybe Perry will see this and list some of the goodies this Beast has. Thanks for trusting me with your car Perry. When I get the nitrous finished on my Harley, I will let you make a 1/4 mile pass, hehehehe.
Robert
Hello Robert.

Thanks for stopping by the car wash for awhile. Your bike sure sounded sweet when you left!

After I get a few more small issues with the car resolved we will just have to find a time to get it to the drag strip and see what she can do. As for the offer to run your bike, thanks, but I will pass, this old man's reflexes aren’t what they use to be

Glad you were able to enjoy a short drive around the block

I spend most of my track time on road courses so the car was built with that in mind. Reliability vs. max HP.

The motor is 427 built on a C5R block with a complete LS7 top end (heads/fuel rail/intake/throttle body). I went with a pretty small cam to provide me with lots of low end grunt and for longer valve train life at the constant high RPM of open tracking.

We added the Evans water pump, QTP high volume oil pump, Two-piece front cover and a 3 Qt. Accusump. We are also installing the Charlie Williams crankcase evacuation pump.

To keep the car cool we run Evans coolant, installed a DRM (Ron Davis) Radiator with internal oil cooler along with separate DRM differential and transmission coolers.

Suspension is currently T-1 Sway Bars with 2004 Z06 Shocks. Soon hope to have some Penske Double Adjustable shocks installed along with stiffer front and rear springs.

There are a bunch of other mods also but the above list summarizes the majority of them.

I hope to get some time off soon and get her to the dyno to see what kind of numbers she is able to put out with the small cam.

It has been on heck of a journey that I hope is almost over so it can be drivable for a change and not on jack stands

If anyone has any questions, let me know, I will do my best to answer them.

Thanks, Perry
Old 07-18-2006, 01:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Yup shoddy work on many level's. I just wish I would of had time to put it back together for him but it was not in the cards this time
Thanks for your help and support with pulling the old motor. Our schedules just did not work out on the install of the new motor.

But have no fear, I have a habit of breaking cars, or doing a little mod here or there so my car will be back to you again before long I am sure

Thanks, Perry

P.S. - Got to get time to work on that list
Old 07-18-2006, 01:22 AM
Launching!

00Vette, yes you probably could. The only times I have been to a drag strip it has been as a spectator so I got lots of learnin to do. Will need some lessons from you all.

I am pretty sure I have seen your car driving around the Graham area before your deployment. We need to get together some time and practice launches

Perry
Old 07-18-2006, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rollin Black
00Vette, yes you probably could. The only times I have been to a drag strip it has been as a spectator so I got lots of learnin to do. Will need some lessons from you all.

I am pretty sure I have seen your car driving around the Graham area before your deployment. We need to get together some time and practice launches

Perry
I was just kidding about "taking you".....hence the smiley with the rolling eyes.

Your car sounds very nice.......I am insanely jelous!!!

I would love to see your car, and I have been cruising around in my Vette since I got home last Tuesday. Its way too loud not to notice!

Let me know when a good time to hook up would be? I currently have my Vette up on blocks. I'm installing a new racetronix fuel pump, new brake rotors and pads, an LS6 intake, and a wet plate nitrous system.

And if all works well (financially) I'll also be installing a 5 point roll bar like Roberts.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Launching!

I was just kidding about "taking you".....hence the smiley with the rolling eyes.

Your car sounds very nice.......I am insanely jelous!!!

I would love to see your car, and I have been cruising around in my Vette since I got home last Tuesday. Its way too loud not to notice!

Let me know when a good time to hook up would be? I currently have my Vette up on blocks. I'm installing a new racetronix fuel pump, new brake rotors and pads, an LS6 intake, and a wet plate nitrous system.

And if all works well (financially) I'll also be installing a 5 point roll bar like Roberts.
Hello Jon.

Nice list of mods. You will be a busy guy for awhile with that list of to-do's. Good luck with them.

Send me a PM when you are back on the road and maybe we can hook-up some where local.

Thanks, Perry
Old 07-21-2006, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rollin Black
Hello Jon.

Nice list of mods. You will be a busy guy for awhile with that list of to-do's. Good luck with them.

Send me a PM when you are back on the road and maybe we can hook-up some where local.

Thanks, Perry
I sure will!

Quick Reply: Drove a members 427 C5 Z06 today, a BEAST