Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Tough decision to make... (for sale) :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 02:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tough decision to make... (for sale) :(

Hey everyone... looks like I'm officially putting my Z28 up for sale, as painful as it is for me to do.

I'm officially enrolled in school again so I can get my bachelor's degree (tired of the doors that are closed to me promotion-wise with my career, because I don't have a degree), which is going to cost me $10k+ a year for the next 2.5 years... plus we're looking at getting a bigger house (our townhouse is just too small for our stuff) which means a bigger mortgage payment.

So... I just can't afford to continue modding. And I have learned the past few weeks that I can't even look at my car without thinking about the next mod.

Doesn't mean the end of racing for me though... I plan on using the money to buy me a cheap bracket racer (like an LT1 auto or maybe a 3rd gen) that I won't feel the same compulsion to mod the hell out of. Then when I'm done with school, my wife's car will be paid off... and then I think I'll be treating myself to a C5 or a C6, maybe one of the new Camaros when they come out.

So without further ado... the stuff for sale.

First, the car I'm putting up for sale for $12,500. You all know what the car has done to it, and that I've taken the best care possible. I have a complete list of mods if anyone is interested... I know everyone here has one of these cars, but I figure I'd start with you guys, see if you know anyone who's looking to get into one... you all can vouch for me as a responsible owner.

Parts:

Cold Fusion Nitrous Kit (dry) & Accessories: $800

This includes: 42lbs Racetronix injectors, 15lbs bottle, 75-150 jets, Nitrous Outlet bottle heater bracket, Nitrous outlet switch panel (goes in the center console), purge kit, NGK TR-6 spark plugs. Ellis has the kit for the install, I have all the accessories.

Patriot Stage 2 LS6-style heads & Accessories: $1300

This includes: Stage 2 heads, 2.02 intake/1.57 exhaust, 64 cc combustion chambers, assembled with Patriot Gold Dual springs & titanium retainers, Cometic .045 head gaskets (bringing compression up to 10.9:1), brand new OEM LS7 lifters, MSD 8.5mm plug wires, GM exhaust manifold gaskets, and GM head bolts. All of this is brand new, still in the boxes (including the heads) and ready to go.

Centerline Convo Pro wheels: $800

This includes: one pair of 15x7.5 wheels, and one pair of 15x4 wheels. The fronts have skinny radial tires mounted on them, and MT ET Street radials (27x10.5x15) in the back. Tires still have a lot of life left on them, wheels look good, no damage.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Oh hell, here's the list of mods I made for the car shows... maybe you guys can pass it around to anyone who you know who might be interested in a car like this for around $12.5k.

Camshaft: Cam Motion custom hydraulic roller camshaft (230/232 duration, .595/.585 lift, 112 LSA, 4 degrees of advance), specifications by Futral Motorsports in Baton Rouge, LA.

Valvetrain: Patriot Performance “Gold” dual valve springs, titanium valve spring retainers, Manley heat-treated chrome moly pushrods, AMSOIL XL 5w30 synthetic motor oil.

Tuning: Custom Tuning by Ellis Groo @ Speed Secrets.

Air Induction: Street Legal Performance (SLP) Air Induction Lid, SLP Cold Air Intake, SLP Smooth Bellows, Thunder Racing Ported Throttle Body, FAST 78mm LSX Intake Manifold.

Exhaust: Pacesetter Longtube Headers, TSP y-pipe w/ Carsound High-Flow catalytic converters, TSP “Rumbler” Catback exhaust system, Ractive smoked chrome oval exhaust tips.

Ignition/Pullies: ASP underdrive crank pulley/harmonic balancer, overdrive alternator pulley, NGK TR-55 spark plugs.

Suspension: Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, SLP Level 1 32mm Front Sway Bar, Spohn 25mm rear sway bar, Edelbrock Torque Arm, UMI panhard rod, Prothane front and rear sway bar bushings, endlinks, motor mounts, and transmission mount.

Chassis: BMR Sub-frame Connectors, BMR boxed Lower Control Arms, BMR driveshaft safety loop.

Transmission: McLeod Twin Disk clutch, McLeod adjustable master cylinder & billet flywheel, T-56 transmission spec’d by Speed Secrets, Pro 5.0 Short Throw Shifter, Lou’s Short Stick, SLP shifter ****, SLP CAGS Skip Shift Eliminator.

Drivetrain: Moser 12 bolt rear end, Detroit Locker differential, 33 spline axles, C-clip eliminators, 4.10 rear gears, T/A differential housing girdle, Denny’s “Nitrous Ready” Driveshaft.

Wheels/Tires: Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (2002) OEM wheels, Goodyear F1 Supercar tires 265/40/17 front tires, BFG Drag Radial 295/35/18 rear tires.

Brakes: SJM Line Lock, C-Tek cross-drilled and slotted front rotors, Dura semi-metallic brake pads, specifications by iRotors.

Interior: Matthew Harlan Adjustable Shift Light (hidden in center vent), SLP ASR Logic Module, Afterthoughts Auto custom Z28 dash plaque, custom Z28 floormats.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yet another sad day in the life of NW F-bodies! Sorry to see you letting it go Jason, but sometimes ya gotta take a step back to move forward. Sounds like your plans will put you in a much better position to play in a couple years. Good luck buddy!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Yet another sad day in the life of NW F-bodies! Sorry to see you letting it go Jason, but sometimes ya gotta take a step back to move forward. Sounds like your plans will put you in a much better position to play in a couple years. Good luck buddy!!!
Yeah, it's a kick in the gut let me tell ya... I've agonized over the decision the last few weeks, but the writing was on the wall... especially when I bought a set of heads recently, then thought "Ok, now how the hell am I going to pay for that?" I tried to tell myself I'd stop the mods once I'm in school... and hell, I just went out and bought heads.

So I know myself... I can't look at this car in my garage without planning what to do next. So, I need to switch to something else for a couple of years... something a little older, something I can just maintain, race in CCC and have fun, without worrying about how to make it faster.

Then in two or three years, I'll treat myself to something nice for finishing the degree I started 12 years ago.

My wife has been supportive too, which is great... she thought it was great that I want to finally finish my degree, and said we could find a way to make it work so I could also keep up with the car... but I decided that wasn't really fair for her, since she's putting her master's degree on hold for now so I can just get my undergraduate. So, I figure the sacrifice I can make in return is my car and my thousands of dollars of mods a year habit.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28

I'm officially enrolled in school again so I can get my bachelor's degree (tired of the doors that are closed to me promotion-wise with my career, because I don't have a degree), which is going to cost me $10k+ a year for the next 2.5 years...
I know that feeling all too well and I'm also starting school again this fall. Sorry to hear you're selling though. You have a lot of time/effort into that car.

Good luck with school dude.

Mike
Old 08-07-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

It will be worth the loss in a few years when you get that little slip of paper and in the end you're making the right decision. Good luck with selling it.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Veteran

While it isn't easy it sounds like you have prioritized what is important in a few years from now vs "I'll figure it out when a couple of years rolls around".

By then the new camaro will be on the market and the tough call will be a Z06 or a Z28
Old 08-07-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

I wish I could buy it right now!!! Good luck and I'll mention to a friend or two...
Old 08-08-2006, 05:44 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I might be interested in the wheels, we'll see, money is an issue. Not sure if i need a clutch yet. These would help my 60's
Old 08-08-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Veteran

They would definitely help you out with the 60s... also the skinnies will take some weight off the nose, which will help your weight transfer too.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

do they all fit in the car? what about a jack?
Old 08-08-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, sounds like you have your priorities straight. I think I'm preparing to back off from the car stuff for a while as well.

Hope everything goes smoothly for you and you're back in a hot rod with a BA sooner then you expect.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
do they all fit in the car? what about a jack?
Oh yeah, no problem. I used to carry my slicks all the time to the track and change there. Also, the skinnies are small enough to both fit together in your passenger seat foot well (which is where I usually put mine if I was transporting them along with the slicks).

But what I would do is just drive to the track with the skinnies on, change the rears at the track. The skinnies are normal radials, and are fine for street & highway driving.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tylerb59

Well, sounds like you have your priorities straight. I think I'm preparing to back off from the car stuff for a while as well.

Hope everything goes smoothly for you and you're back in a hot rod with a BA sooner then you expect.
Yeah, that's pretty much the plan right now... get something that I can make do with for CCC races for the next two or three seasons, then get me something nice.

My CCC car doesn't have to be fast... but I do want it to be faster than the Impy.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
My CCC car doesn't have to be fast... but I do want it to be faster than the Impy.
Can I get a V...
Old 08-08-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Poik
Can I get a V...
..olvo?

DUDE!! JASON!! HERE SHE IS!!!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/car/189536028.html

Get your Volvo reliability and your Chevy power all for a low, low $1,800.

He's trading for firearms. Hmm ... maybe if we all chip in 12 packs of beer and maybe a hair cut we can get it to you cheaper?
Old 08-09-2006, 02:48 AM
TECH Veteran

..olvo?

He's trading for firearms. Hmm ... maybe if we all chip in 12 packs of beer and maybe a hair cut we can get it to you cheaper?

Ok, I'll get the Natty Light, I also think a sleeveless Winston logo shirt would go a long way too.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

..olvo?

Ya know.....drop a 671 on that baby & it might be fun to drive. Need a SERIOUS mullet tho!
Old 08-09-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Backing off from the car stuff is not bad. I have to with baby, and I am always saving more money for a larger house.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

PM sent (about the wheels)

Quick Reply: Tough decision to make... (for sale) :(