Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Beware unmarked red Impala!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Beware unmarked red Impala!

Last night my buddy was coming back from work an a bright red "tricked out" Impala egged him on for a race. Well my buddy took the bait an ended up getting a $150 ticket. This happened on I-5 in the Tacoma area so be on the lookout. I don't know if they're mainly targeting the import crowd cuz my buddy drives a bright red 03 Evo that sticks out like a sore thumb. He's really pissed cuz he was doing 60 on the highway an the cop just egged him on for a race. I would think thats entrapment or something, suggestions? comments?
Old 12-27-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Unless the guy in the Impy was yelling, "Wanna race" out the window to your friend, then your friend did a foolish thing. Entrapment is MAKING someone do something that they ordinarily would not do on their own......I don't know what the cop did to "egg him on" but like I said, short of asking him to race, revving the motor or whatever may or may not have happened is not going to be looked on as entrapment. Sorry dude.

We used to use bait cars to catch car theives all the time. Nice car, expensive stuff in it (mountain bike, etc) and usually left the keys in it.......to see who would steal it. Just cuz there is temptation doesn't mean anyone HAS to give in to it. It would only be entrapment if we had sent UC officers in the area telling people, "Hey, there is a car over there with the keys in it to steal so you should go get it" or something equally as ridiculous.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have heard the Entrapment claim is a no go to the whole thing, it is their word vs his. I see a lot of Impala's on I-90 through Spokane, I bet a good majority of them are undercover also. As a rule of thumb, if I can't see in their car, I be extra careful around them. There was a Crown Vic with a local dealers plates on (like the car was just bought) got close and noticed it is all blacked out and has the searchlight, antenna, etc. get in front of the car and look in the mirror and see the cage and the cop in uniform. They are getting sneakier!
Old 12-27-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, entrapment as a claim is hard to prove and harder to actually do (from a law enforcement standpoint) since it is so easy to catch people without even trying.....no need to "entrap" anyone when there are tons of people out there willing to be stupid all on their own.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Yeah, entrapment as a claim is hard to prove and harder to actually do (from a law enforcement standpoint) since it is so easy to catch people without even trying.....no need to "entrap" anyone when there are tons of people out there willing to be stupid all on their own.
I like to think of entrapment of haveing a gov set at 100+ mph, they know someone will use it, they wanted me to hit it just so they could arrest me later!

Have one friend that thought his Geo Storm was hot ****, he was at a light with a 99+ Mustang GT, black tint and such and he threw a little rev at the Geo. Geo returned rev, light turned green, he took off from 5k RPM or whatever "lit up the tires" hits about 60, Mustang comes up on his *** fast, flips down the visors and low and behold, some red and blue lights. Ticket was something like $1k, him trying to smart off I don't think helped him at all with it! He told me same thing about entrapment... they wanted him to race so he did. Never got what happened after that other than the ticket was never dropped and he had to pay. I can only imagine how that went in court, "so you think because a car threw a little rev at you they wanted you to race them with you burning out and doubling the speed limit through the busiest road in town? Right..."

Tell your buddy is best bet is to go and get it changed to a non moving violation. Like Rott has told some of us before, if the cop is going 60mph, the speed limit is 60 mph, and you are moving away from him, you are speeding, no if's and's or but's!
Old 12-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Banned

Thats definitely entrapment. Encouraging a citizen to break the law by means of a fake appearance is just wrong and should not be tolerated.

Not to mention I would never pull over for a red Implala, regardless of it having lights on the dash.

Hell, anyone can take a civilian vehice, get a strobe, and pull you over pretending to be a cop. Next thing you know you could be getting hijacked, or worse. Not worth it, screw that undercover car bullshit, whoever initiated that idea is retarded, its a liability to everyone.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

basically, i think what he told me was the impala got next to him, paced him for a little bit then took off, then my buddy took chase an passed him and ended up getting clocked at 97mph. I think thats what he said, i might have to ask him again-he said he gets to pick his court date?

Trending Topics

Old 12-27-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats definitely entrapment. Encouraging a citizen to break the law by means of a fake appearance is just wrong and should not be tolerated.
By revving at someone it could mean just about anything. Want to hear you rev, want get you too look, etc. Doesn't necessarily mean to race. Cool factor could be a reason, when I go through bridges with my TA and I rev it I'm not looking for a race, I'm loving the sound.

Not to mention I would never pull over for a red Implala, regardless of it having lights on the dash.
Impala's are the newish cop car, they are in the middle of the crown vics and the new Chargers. If you wont pull over for anything other than a Crown vic, be sure to have your vid camera ready, could be a funny chase!

Hell, anyone can take a civilian vehice, get a strobe, and pull you over pretending to be a cop. Next thing you know you could be getting hijacked, or worse. Not worth it, screw that undercover car bullshit, whoever initiated that idea is retarded, its a liability to everyone.
Here you have a good point... my wife read me an article a few months ago about people posing as police officers in strange vehicles and pulling woman over in ally ways or secluded areas and haveing their way with them and sometimes even killing them. As a rule of thumb I always make sure that wherever I stop someone can see me, passer by or whatever, and if my car were left in a spot, it would cause a problem and people would ask questions. Other thing you can do is always turn on your hazards so they know you are aware they are after you and call 911 and ask if someone is being pulled over in your car. Gotta be careful, some out there could be those dirty crooked cops, just like Rott use to be! J/K! Rott!
Old 12-27-2006, 07:05 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daredevil_TA
basically, i think what he told me was the impala got next to him, paced him for a little bit then took off, then my buddy took chase an passed him and ended up getting clocked at 97mph. I think thats what he said, i might have to ask him again-he said he gets to pick his court date?
entrapment all the way!! LOL not even close!

I tried the he scared me by being on my tail line once. It worked a little. I told the judge this car came up on me real quick. Tail gated me and I couldnt see who it was so I got scared and tried to get away from them. After I was speeding they backed off and flipped their lights on. AT the time I got a speeding ticket, driving without isurance, driving without a license.

It all got knocked down to 70 in a 45 for like $145 after all was said and done. It's all how you approach the judge. I never once accused them of entrapment. I told it like it was. Sort of.

Pulling a ricer fly-by on an unmarked priceless
Old 12-27-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol.

Yea, just smack your friend.

That's all that needs to be done here. WHY WOULD YOU "RACE" AN IMPALA WHEN YOU'RE IN AN EVO??
Old 12-27-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

Bingo...
Old 12-27-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol, thats pretty much what i said-i told him he needs to pick his races more carefully from now on, on a sidenote it was raining last night as well, which in my book is a big no no, you REALLY have to egg me on to get me to race in the rain
Old 12-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tylerb59
lol.

Yea, just smack your friend.

That's all that needs to be done here. WHY WOULD YOU "RACE" AN IMPALA WHEN YOU'RE IN AN EVO??
Maybe because he though it was an Impala SS with the 5.3 V8, which would be a good race for an Evo from a roll??
Old 12-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAminal
Maybe because he though it was an Impala SS with the 5.3 V8, which would be a good race for an Evo from a roll??
Doubtful but he does have an 03 Evo which isnt as quick as the new ones
Old 12-27-2006, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rawr256
I like to think of entrapment of haveing a gov set at 100+ mph, they know someone will use it, they wanted me to hit it just so they could arrest me later!

Have one friend that thought his Geo Storm was hot ****, he was at a light with a 99+ Mustang GT, black tint and such and he threw a little rev at the Geo. Geo returned rev, light turned green, he took off from 5k RPM or whatever "lit up the tires" hits about 60, Mustang comes up on his *** fast, flips down the visors and low and behold, some red and blue lights. Ticket was something like $1k, him trying to smart off I don't think helped him at all with it! He told me same thing about entrapment... they wanted him to race so he did. Never got what happened after that other than the ticket was never dropped and he had to pay. I can only imagine how that went in court, "so you think because a car threw a little rev at you they wanted you to race them with you burning out and doubling the speed limit through the busiest road in town? Right..."

Tell your buddy is best bet is to go and get it changed to a non moving violation. Like Rott has told some of us before, if the cop is going 60mph, the speed limit is 60 mph, and you are moving away from him, you are speeding, no if's and's or but's!

Was this Mustang in Spokane if so I had a friend of mine try to race him in his SS and got nailed for it too. Its not real hard to tell hes a cop those windows are BLACK if its the one running around town
Old 12-28-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im not sure, an i doubt he knew what it had in it
Old 12-28-2006, 06:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeppers,....and the strech of I-90 between I-405 and Issaquah is just crawlling with these bastards! Look for a silver Impalla and TWO different suburbans one black and one dark red! the black one actually pulled up to me with two plain cloths guys who rolled down the window and began telling me to GOO!! I just smiled and acted like I was calling the cops!! For the most part the traffic cops are nothing more than cashiers any more!
Old 12-28-2006, 08:28 AM
10 Second Club

They tell you not to pull over if you are concerned. But I could just see some young person in an Evo trying that ****....the cops would open fire!

This might be fun in my car (if I had a couple grand to waste). Find that Impy (or other unmarked) let him start playing, BLOW by him & lift after I hit 120....wait for him to catch me, nail it again & take it up to 150 & lift.....WAAAIIIIIT for him to catch up & nail it again & take it up to 165 or so.....I wonder how long I could do that before they'd setup the road blocks & spike strips?
Old 12-28-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
They tell you not to pull over if you are concerned. But I could just see some young person in an Evo trying that ****....the cops would open fire!

This might be fun in my car (if I had a couple grand to waste). Find that Impy (or other unmarked) let him start playing, BLOW by him & lift after I hit 120....wait for him to catch me, nail it again & take it up to 150 & lift.....WAAAIIIIIT for him to catch up & nail it again & take it up to 165 or so.....I wonder how long I could do that before they'd setup the road blocks & spike strips?
What they would do to your car afterwards, Mark, would make even baby Jesus cry. (But I would pay money to see the events leading up to it....the "chase")

Besides, if they haven't started it up here yet, they will eventually.......in L.A. they impound the car and crush it if it is involved in a street race of any kind. And no, to whoever, I don't want to get involved in a discussion of the legalities or right vs wrong regarding that subject. I didn't write the law and I was long gone before they brought it into circulation so don't shoot the messenger.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002BLKTA
Was this Mustang in Spokane if so I had a friend of mine try to race him in his SS and got nailed for it too. Its not real hard to tell hes a cop those windows are BLACK if its the one running around town
Bingo! Dark Blue Mustang. Have seen it once before at a accident scene. Part of my paranoia is that if I can't see inside their car I wont even give it a shot at racing them!

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Besides, if they haven't started it up here yet, they will eventually.......in L.A. they impound the car and crush it if it is involved in a street race of any kind. And no, to whoever, I don't want to get involved in a discussion of the legalities or right vs wrong regarding that subject. I didn't write the law and I was long gone before they brought it into circulation so don't shoot the messenger.
Have heard of that. Knew they take the cars away but wasn't too sure on the whole crushing of the car. I imagine if a lawyer got ahold of it they would argue something like they were speeding other than street racing. Sometimes I wonder if some of these laws do more harm than good. In a way they take the majority off the streets, but then it makes a more hardcore group of them, if that makes sense, look and the Porbation of alchohol back in the 20's IIRC or maybe late teens. It was something organized crime thrived off of and made some good clink, they developed new ways to smuggle stuff around. Not saying that the street racing in Cali is to this level (at least I don't think) but there is kind of a connection if you know what I am talking about in my mixed up head!

My arguement for people doing the random races... if there were more tracks available and people had a chance to make runs like they want, it would go down quite a bit, I would prefer to race in a controlled enviroment where I and another are the only two that duke it out for the next 1/4 mile or so and don't have to worry about a car or animal coming out of no where. I have talked to a few people that have said that if the track her in Spokane were open to racing throughout the week they would take their need for speed there than on the street.

I guess it is a bigger problem at some other places around the country than here though. I have never went on a real timed day to SRP but on Friday night it seems I can make back to back runs, by the time I pull up to the lines and turn the car off within 5 min I am back on the track making a pass, only problem is they don't always run the times Friday.

Quick Reply: Beware unmarked red Impala!