Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

WA joins Streamlined Sales Tax Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down WA joins Streamlined Sales Tax Project

The People's hero, Chris ("don't call me Christine") Gregoire, has signed into law Senate Bill 5089, which allows WA to join SSTP and begin collecting sales tax from internet purchases made at participating sellers. Doesn't go into effect until mid-2008, but something to be aware of nonetheless.

Looks like its only voluntary participation by some 1000 online and catalog sellers at this time. I have been looking to see if I can find a full list of participating sellers so that I can boycott them, but no luck so far.

Here's more:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/308749_tax23.html

http://www.streamlinedsalestax.org/
Old 03-23-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, this state is just getting worse and worse...I didn't vote for her...
Old 03-23-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Wasn't this person the candidate that you guys had recounts for... 4 times... and in the last recount she magically won? Hurray for ballot stuffing and actually pulling a successful Al Gore? Gyah. I hope you find the list of the 1000 companies as I will be definitely be boycotting them as well (and I'm even in Oregon). To bitch more, Ted Kulengonski is trying to pull the California emissions bullshit on us--I believe the impression is that if Oregon does it Washington and some surrounding states will too?

Sigh @ WA + OR.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah if Oregon does then Washington will as far as emissions go. Guess I better hurry up and get my parts soon!!
Old 03-24-2007, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Actually, I have only found that dead people and fellons voted for the bitch. Every time I charge some one sales tax at work I find another one that did not vote for her. It is incomprehensible how she won. And she was the worst State's attorney general for two terms to boot, but people still voted for her.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm already feeling it. When I filed my business taxes for the end of 2006 I had to pay taxes to the state on ALL sales...even though 95% of my sales were internet sales shipped out of state. The "helpful" online tax form would not allow me to be considered a manufacturer / retailer and only pay taxes on in state sales. It just came up with errors until I finally "submitted" and gave the state what they wanted... their tax cut of ALL sales. I'm still pissed considering the common understanding is that you don't collect sales tax on out of state sales. Obviously the "don't collect" part doesn't mean you don't owe. Grrrrr.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CHarris
I'm already feeling it. When I filed my business taxes for the end of 2006 I had to pay taxes to the state on ALL sales...even though 95% of my sales were internet sales shipped out of state. The "helpful" online tax form would not allow me to be considered a manufacturer / retailer and only pay taxes on in state sales. It just came up with errors until I finally "submitted" and gave the state what they wanted... their tax cut of ALL sales. I'm still pissed considering the common understanding is that you don't collect sales tax on out of state sales. Obviously the "don't collect" part doesn't mean you don't owe. Grrrrr.
WA does not have the best business environment for sure. It has always been that you pay taxes on the $ of sales and not $ of profit. You could be going out of business and still owe business tax on sales.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Another reason I'm glad I left Wa.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:22 AM
TECH Resident

I feel so ashamed that I actually have family that voted for her dumb *** (my grand parents, who are moving to Texas, lol). I HATE THIS F*CKING STATE WITH ALL MY BEING!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

P.S. I want to move to Texas, not the same part as my grandparents. Just the thought of no emissions tickles me so much.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:29 AM
T is for Towing not Turbo

Originally Posted by planemech2
Another reason I'm glad I left Wa.
Wyoming does keep sounding nicer and nicer for when I get out of the Navy...I hate people, lol! It's amazing how one tiny geographic area runs this whole state...It's funny, almost every county west of the cascades was red after the election...hmmm...
Old 03-25-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jewbacca
P.S. I want to move to Texas, not the same part as my grandparents. Just the thought of no emissions tickles me so much.
You better verify that... TX has emissions tests -at least the urban areas...
Old 03-25-2007, 07:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

To bitch more, Ted Kulengonski is trying to pull the California emissions bullshit on us--I believe the impression is that if Oregon does it Washington and some surrounding states will too? OSUBraden

Do you have any info on the law in question? Are they grandfathering older cars or...? I bought an '82 so I could avoid emissions tests!
Old 03-25-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

oh I know, thats why I'd live in the non urban areas
Old 03-25-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Also, just thinking about it, Wichita sounds like a really nice place. I love visiting my grandparents there. Nice people, really good car culture, and I know for a fact no emissions.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by silverbullet02
Wyoming does keep sounding nicer and nicer for when I get out of the Navy...I hate people, lol! It's amazing how one tiny geographic area runs this whole state...It's funny, almost every county west of the cascades was red after the election...hmmm...

You mean blue, don't you? They were red east of the Cascades.

Tiny geographic areas with really large populations do run the state since the majority of the people live in those areas. More on that later
Old 03-26-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

I'll get back to you with more info, Esoteric (not at home at the moment).

Originally Posted by esoteric
You mean blue, don't you? They were red east of the Cascades.

Tiny geographic areas with really large populations do run the state since the majority of the people live in those areas. More on that later
Yep, as shown here--
By county:

Weighted by population:

Old 03-26-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OSUBraden
I'll get back to you with more info, Esoteric (not at home at the moment).

Yep, as shown here--
By county:

Weighted by population:

Wow, that looks really messed up. I had to stare at it a bit to figure out what it was. It first looked like something Nancy Palosy (SP) threw up, lol
Old 03-26-2007, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Don't forget that the Blue states pay more money in federal taxes then they get back while Red states pay less than they get back. Therefore Blue states finance Red states. They should be able to tell them what to do.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tails
Don't forget that the Blue states pay more money in federal taxes then they get back while Red states pay less than they get back. Therefore Blue states finance Red states. They should be able to tell them what to do.

That's because the vast majority of corporate taxes are taken in from businesses headquartered in urban centers.

Quick Reply: WA joins Streamlined Sales Tax Project