Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Weird Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Power Loss

ABout a month ago I started my car at it randomly died right away. I started it back up and it hunted for idle pretty hard. After it would find idle the car want to die. I would give it some throttle to about 2k rpms and the car would randomly feel like a fuel cut off and the rpms would dip to about 500 then surge back to 2k.

I didn't think much about it cause it went away after a couple of minutes and it hasn't returned...until this morning. This time it happened with only the surging while I was driving on the road. After the car warmed up to operating temp, it went away.

Anybody have any thoughts?
Old 04-23-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

You know minw has done that a few times also! since i have started by turning the key to the on position and letting the fuel pump fill. Then starting my car It has stopped. That at least helped me out!!

Brad
Old 04-23-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would think it is a fueling/spark issue. When wires would go bad in other cars they would surge at certain points or have a hard to keeping running until they warmed up. Could be a vaccum leek, but would have to be a big one to do that. Sounds like what my car did first time I did seafoam on it and pulled off the brake booster line. If Choco's guide didn't say it would idle funny or have a hard time running I would have thought I messed something up.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:36 AM
TECH Resident

It did it again tonigh when I started it up to come home from work. I did notice that the temp gauge was not reading when the rpms were surging. When the temp gauge finally started to read it the needle jumped to 160* and the surging stopped.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by vtec this
It did it again tonigh when I started it up to come home from work. I did notice that the temp gauge was not reading when the rpms were surging. When the temp gauge finally started to read it the needle jumped to 160* and the surging stopped.
Ding!

We have an answer. Fix the water temp problem and see if it comes back.

Have you been working under the hood? Is the connector on tight? Any codes? Water temp is critical for the ECM to provide the right fuel.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

Sound like an open loop vs. closed loop issue.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer
Ding!

Have you been working under the hood? Is the connector on tight? Any codes? Water temp is critical for the ECM to provide the right fuel.

Yeah I thought I posted up a reply last night about the coolant temp sensor. Seems like it could cause that.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ding!

Water temp is critical for the ECM to provide the right fuel.
can you explain that further?
Old 04-24-2007, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

If the temp is too low the ecm basically doesn't think the car is warmed up so it adjusts fuel, idle, timing, etc accordingly to try and continue to warm up the car.

IIRC
Old 04-24-2007, 05:30 PM
10 Second Club

Think - electroninc choke.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ding!

This got me thinking... I am going to have to look at my dad's Fiero. It has been running damn rich since we took it out of storage. Last I remember I was driving the hell out of it and the temp guage never moved, wonder if he never put the t-stat back in when he rebuilt the engine. The car should be getting mid 20's on mileage but he is lucky if he gets 13 as it is right now.

Quick Reply: Weird Power Loss