Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

New engine build-408

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New engine build-408

Well decided to go with an Iron 408, LME is putting it together according to my specs for a minimum of a starting 300rwhp shot, and Turbo Tech will do the rest of the engine assembly and install. First time in my life that I have had someone build one of my motors, but when your a mech all day ever day, it gets old to come home and do more wrenching, I guess (have my bike tore all apart again also).
Anyway, she's capable of handling 1000hp, but considering my drive train we doubt that it could handle that realm so i will be starting out with a 700rwhp goal. We will be spraying dry of course, can't see any reason to go wet, but plenty to stay dry.
Here's the goods so far.

6.0L Iron block
Wiseco 8cc dished pistons-11.24:1 comp
Callies H-Beam pro mod rods
Eagle 4340 crank
Childs & Alberts Rings
ARP mains studs
ARP Head studs
Cometic head gasket
Melling B/B Oil Pump
Federal Mogul main bearings
Clevite rod bearings
Double row timing chain
LS6 Heads (for now)
LS6 intake (for now)
LS6 cam (for now)

Hoping for the 9s on this combo, only time will tell.
Robert
Old 04-22-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude that should rock. Any kind of ETA on when all of this will be up and running?
Old 04-22-2007, 12:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks Good Robert!

Now the question... The car will do nines...can you drive it there

J/K!

Get that thing going!
Old 04-22-2007, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah depending on what's wrong with smokey I may end up goin with a LME 408 myself but with the -32cc pistons for boost down the road, can't really beat the price w/ their reputation. Lookin good robert can't wait to see that beast on the road again.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Anything they build tends to end up in the NvsS shoot out, get some solid times and represent for us

What are you doing with the LS6 heads, cam and intake - as in there is a question mark you put there so what are ya thinking of replacing them with?
Old 04-22-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by turbo50
Dude that should rock. Any kind of ETA on when all of this will be up and running?
They have a 4 to 5 week build time (they build one offs to custom specs), but said they would try to speed it up at my request. So, prob at least a month and 1/2?

[QUOTE=ELLIS]Looks Good Robert!

J/K!

Get that thing going! [quote]

Actually that's not to far from reality. Not to many 6-speeds dipping into the 9's. It'll be a wild ride for sure, and may have to go full slick.

[quote=hitman] Yeah depending on what's wrong with smokey I may end up goin with a LME 408 myself but with the -32cc pistons for boost down the road, can't really beat the price w/ their reputation. Lookin good robert can't wait to see that beast on the road again.[quote]

They do have some good builds out there, and everyone seems happy with their stuff, at a good price.

[quote gearhed]Anything they build tends to end up in the NvsS shoot out, get some solid times and represent for us

What are you doing with the LS6 heads, cam and intake - as in there is a question mark you put there so what are ya thinking of replacing them with?[quote]

If i decide to up the anty in the n/a hp area, then maybe a ms4, l92 heads/intake and a easy 500rwhp n/a. But for the imdiate future the ls6 stuff will be fine. Also, saving all of the ls6 stuff, including block for later when resale/trade in time comes.

Robert
Old 04-22-2007, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

with the 408 why not go with the texas giant instead of the MS4?
Old 04-22-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

sounds like a hell of an engine A 300 shot ?! That's going to hit like a daisy cutter
Old 04-22-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Daaaaaaaaaaamn,. Robert,.......this is looking like a summer to remember and its not even stopped raining yet,.......and having watched you with that little lap-top Ill believe you ll stop at the drive train limits when I see it
Old 04-22-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=Robert56]They have a 4 to 5 week build time (they build one offs to custom specs), but said they would try to speed it up at my request. So, prob at least a month and 1/2?

[QUOTE=ELLIS]Looks Good Robert!

J/K!

Get that thing going! [quote]

Actually that's not to far from reality. Not to many 6-speeds dipping into the 9's. It'll be a wild ride for sure, and may have to go full slick.

[quote=hitman] Yeah depending on what's wrong with smokey I may end up goin with a LME 408 myself but with the -32cc pistons for boost down the road, can't really beat the price w/ their reputation. Lookin good robert can't wait to see that beast on the road again.[quote]

They do have some good builds out there, and everyone seems happy with their stuff, at a good price.

[quote gearhed]Anything they build tends to end up in the NvsS shoot out, get some solid times and represent for us

What are you doing with the LS6 heads, cam and intake - as in there is a question mark you put there so what are ya thinking of replacing them with?

If i decide to up the anty in the n/a hp area, then maybe a ms4, l92 heads/intake and a easy 500rwhp n/a. But for the imdiate future the ls6 stuff will be fine. Also, saving all of the ls6 stuff, including block for later when resale/trade in time comes.

Robert
When I saw "408" I thought you were going Windsor. Knowing you, it would probably be one of the engines from the HP competition between engine builders.

If you're going into the 9's you'll need a license and even the ashtray has to be SFI approved.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:02 AM
10 Second Club

Nice Robert....mostly. Tell George to retorque the head bolts after the engine sits for a couple of days. Or after it's been fired up. It's a Cometics thing. And I know money is always an issue, but you need a different cam to do that setup justice. I hope you are least going to have the heads reworked.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Pathological Modifier

Where are the 60lb injectors for your list? You are not seriously going to run a 408 and a 300 shot with 42's.... I think I have pictures of that some where....
Old 04-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats, you'll be very happy with LME. Brian is a great guy to work with.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

9's and a six speed, this is what my overall goal is for my car! Not any time soon though, money is an issue!

So what, about two months until this beast is up and running? Make sure to get some vids!
Old 04-23-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Gotta get a set of these L92's. $1499 or $1649 w/ stainless valves! They would compliment this motor very well. Would put down 500+ rwhp...

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=697

http://www.precisionracecomponents.com/62l.wmv
Old 04-23-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Robert56
Well decided to go with an Iron 408, LME is putting it together according to my specs for a minimum of a starting 300rwhp shot, and Turbo Tech will do the rest of the engine assembly and install. First time in my life that I have had someone build one of my motors, but when your a mech all day ever day, it gets old to come home and do more wrenching, I guess (have my bike tore all apart again also).
Anyway, she's capable of handling 1000hp, but considering my drive train we doubt that it could handle that realm so i will be starting out with a 700rwhp goal. We will be spraying dry of course, can't see any reason to go wet, but plenty to stay dry.
Here's the goods so far.

6.0L Iron block
Wiseco 8cc dished pistons-11.24:1 comp
Callies H-Beam pro mod rods
Eagle 4340 crank
Childs & Alberts Rings
ARP mains studs
ARP Head studs
Cometic head gasket
Melling B/B Oil Pump
Federal Mogul main bearings
Clevite rod bearings
Double row timing chain
LS6 Heads (for now)
LS6 intake (for now)
LS6 cam (for now)

Hoping for the 9s on this combo, only time will tell.
Robert
Now all you need to do is paint your car Silver, and you'll be fast.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Nice Robert....mostly. Tell George to retorque the head bolts after the engine sits for a couple of days. Or after it's been fired up. It's a Cometics thing. And I know money is always an issue, but you need a different cam to do that setup justice. I hope you are least going to have the heads reworked.
Thanks, yea the heads are just going to be cleaned up a bit, hehehehe.

Originally Posted by Ryan k
Where are the 60lb injectors for your list? You are not seriously going to run a 408 and a 300 shot with 42's.... I think I have pictures of that some where....
In due time. I have to work with what I have for a bit. I have missed 13 months of work in the last 24months because of 2 back surgeries, so my $$ are waning a bit. Besides, the above list is only the absolutes known so far on just the short block. I am trying to hawk my ederly grandmother right now. I did quit Nitrous Direct, and have recieved a couple offers from other vendors, and got a $1.10 raise at work, so things won't stay bad for ever. Oh and prob getting my mod status back, I hope ( a good word from all my mod buddies would...).

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Congrats, you'll be very happy with LME. Brian is a great guy to work with.
Yea he is, and they are a great company.

Originally Posted by LSxChevelle
Gotta get a set of these L92's. $1499 or $1649 w/ stainless valves! They would compliment this motor very well. Would put down 500+ rwhp...
I know i want them bad, and yes an easy 500rwhp. You wouldn't believe how close I was to getting a 427 l92, and the price was only like 1k more for the short block.

Now all you need to do is paint your car Silver, and you'll be fast.
Fast like your car?

Robert
Old 04-23-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

No that's sexy, but I do remember a Silver Camaro being #1 last year.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

Sweet Dude. Can't wait to see the final product......
Old 04-24-2007, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Layn_Low_247
No that's sexy, but I do remember a Silver Camaro being #1 last year.
Since said silver Camaro will probably make it out first, I doubt even painting it green, red, white & black with a big X on the door is going to help.

And if I were you Robert, I wouldn't risk this setup over $400 worth of injectors!