Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

CCCA - $15,000 buys the Team Championship

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CCCA - $15,000 buys the Team Championship

After the long, drawn out thread(s) regarding rules, etc... I got to thinking about what it would take to "buy" the Team Championship.

In 2006, the Ford Drag Team won the Team Championship with 493 points. It looks like 2006 was a point-per-show year. So doing a little math, if a team showed 30 cars to each event, the points just for showing would be:

11 (single point events) X 30 cars X 1 point = 330 points
3 (double point events) X 30 cars X 2 points = 180 points
330+180=510 points

14 races X 30 racers = 420 event fees X $35 per fee = $14,700

So essentially a team would just have to raise about $15,000, use that money to pay event fees, and get 30 people they know to show up for the first round and they could, theoretically win the Team Championship without even winning a round. Of course the odds are that someone will win rounds even if they didn't really try, so the actual point total should be higher. Or in other words, 510 points would be a worst case scenario.

Of course one double-points event is in the books, so the numbers would have to be adjusted to accommodate this fact.

So how much money is in the Team NW treasury???

Oh yeah, don't let the word out or another team may show up in large numbers (Ford???)
Old 05-09-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

Someone ran off with the NW F-Body (what's this "Team" stuff? ) swiss bank account codes years ago and is probably living large in Rio...
Old 05-09-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought that was you Jon lol
Old 05-09-2007, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm.. when put into perspective like that it seems like a lot of money generated from a race series based on bragging rights only. But certainly not enough money to start a small cash pot with. Definitely not enough to treat CCC like a real race series and allow a guaranteed 2-3 time trials at an event before eliminations start.

I don't want to even think about the number from all the teams combined...
Old 05-09-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CHarris
Definitely not enough to treat CCC like a real race series and allow a guaranteed 2-3 time trials at an event before eliminations start.

I don't want to even think about the number from all the teams combined...

Yea no kidding.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Holy poop! That is a lot of cash.

STEVE!!
Wow how you doing man!?
Old 05-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Hey Mike,

I'm doing well. You know how it goes... life gets in the way and you find it's been three years since being at the track. I actually had my Skylark running briefly in 2005. I took it to opening day with a scab motor and went 13.51 @ 106 in 2nd gear (2.56 open rear). The second pass saw it spin rod bearings.

So a new motor is back in the car, but that's essentially just the beginning. You can see a short clip of it at http://youtube.com/watch?v=z8mty8suFsI Some Buick guys wanted to hear how that cam sounded at idle.

It doesn't have any seats in the front. I could find an old bench seat that would bolt right in, or buy some poly race seats and have them bolted to the floor pan. After that, it needs an entire fuel system from tank forward. I'm going to buy a new gas tank and have it sumped (Ellis?), then go braided 1/2" line all the way to the pump. I've got the pump for it as the one in it now is limited to about 500 horse. I hope to be pushing more than that. Then I need to figure out what to do behind the motor.

I had Ellis build a TH350 so it could run a couple of years ago. But this is a different motor and it'd be smarter to go TH400 (which I have a core). The rear is the original and needs replaced too. I know someone with a 12 bolt 4.10 that will bolt right in. But I want to do the trans/driveline/rear in one shot. So I have to make decisions.

Since all this stuff costs money, I also need to accumulate everything I need for each step. I'm about to order a gas tank ($200 shipped) and the fuel line kit ($120 complete) and the sump kit (~$70). Then I can get rolling on that.

My goal is to be consistent for BOP, which means getting some racing in before that - hopefully CCCA.

So does anyone have a complete bucket seat kit (poly or otherwise) ready to bolt into a 72 Skylark (A-body)? Or a decent condition bench that would bolt into the holes that are already there???
Old 05-09-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gran Sport

So does anyone have a complete bucket seat kit (poly or otherwise) ready to bolt into a 72 Skylark (A-body)? Or a decent condition bench that would bolt into the holes that are already there???

LOL I am looking for a bucket seat set too for our 72 skylark lol
If I can find one then I will have my bench set up for sale

Quick Reply: CCCA - $15,000 buys the Team Championship