Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

This is a none LS1 question. But please step inside and give your input.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default This is a none LS1 question. But please step inside and give your input.

I have a 1989 Jeep Cherokee. Has the 4.0 litre in it. It has sat for almost three years, it ran when we parked it in long term parking on base.

Well I brought it home after taking it off of my buddys hands. I went to fire it up and it ran right away. It ended up throwing a belt within 5 minutes due to it being so old and all. Well when I went to fire it up again with the new belt. It would not fire. So I checked for fuel and spark. There was fuel but no spark. So I checked the cap and rotor. They were fryed. I changed those out, and tried again. Nothing. So I started trouble shooting checked all of my fuse links and relay's they all ended up being good. I went and checked the ICM it was reading a little low, so I purchased a new one along with a new coil. Tried it once more and nothing. So after carefull thought and running threw all the wiring I came to the point were I thought it might be the Coil Pick Up Sensor in the Distributor.

So I pulled the distributor and replaced that, and tried again. Still nothing. At the moment I am kinda stumped. It has a brand new Optima Battery so I know it is getting enough juice. It is also getting fuel. Just no spark.

Would any of you might now what the problem might be???? It is starting to be a pain in the ***. If you can, please help.

Lane
Old 06-30-2007, 12:37 AM
Launching!

If you're not getting spark check for power at the coil. Forgive me but i'm not able to picture the ignition setup on that specific rig but if it's an external coil with the key in the on position one of the leads should show around 12v. If it does then it has to be either the ignition module, pickup coil or wiring. If it doesn't i'd check all fuses, fusable links, and the ignition switch in that order.

I looked at my wiring schematic and according to it there should be 2 yellow wires plugged into the coil. One of them should be 12v+ with the key on.

Good luck.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

jump time?
Old 06-30-2007, 01:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by firehawk618
If you're not getting spark check for power at the coil. Forgive me but i'm not able to picture the ignition setup on that specific rig but if it's an external coil with the key in the on position one of the leads should show around 12v. If it does then it has to be either the ignition module, pickup coil or wiring. If it doesn't i'd check all fuses, fusable links, and the ignition switch in that order.

I looked at my wiring schematic and according to it there should be 2 yellow wires plugged into the coil. One of them should be 12v+ with the key on.

Good luck.
There are no wires that go to the coil. The coil is attached to the ICM (Ignition Control Modul). I have replaced both of them.

Also Cut into all of my Fusable links, and all checked out fine.. And I also just replaced the Pick up coil.

Thanks for the advice... Anymore advice????

Lane
Old 06-30-2007, 03:22 AM
Launching!

On your ICM there needs to be power with the key on. My diagram shows yellow wire.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Allright I did what you said. I checked it out and it had 12.42 from the positive terminal and also the Coil Output terminal. I also checked my wires, and it read 7.30 ohms.

Any takers????

Lane
Old 06-30-2007, 11:32 PM
11 Second Club

Well come to find out it was a 30 doller part. The Crank Sensor that was in the back of the motor.

I replaced it, and in the process of doing so. I dropped one of the bolts down the top hole were the sensor goes in. And now I have to drop the tranny inorder to get it out. What a bitch the jeep has been. lol

Lane
Old 07-01-2007, 12:05 AM
Launching!

Yep crank sensor will do that every time. Glad you found the problem.

Quick Reply: This is a none LS1 question. But please step inside and give your input.