Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

If you insure with AIG, read this!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you insure with AIG, read this!!!

Hey guys, I just got a nice little letter in the mail today...telling me they aren't renewing my policy!!!!

The fine print says, "Your policy is being non-renewed due to a substantial increase in hazard insured against based on the 2004 Pontiac GTO has been altered or modified to enhance the speed and performance of the vehicle."

So, warning to all of you. If you've changed ANYTHING that might increase speed, and they find out, you will be dropped like a hot potato. Mind you, this isn't just dropping the GTO from the policy that includes my other 2 cars, it is dropping the entire policy!!!

I'm going to have a chat with the underwriter tomorrow, but it looks like I'll be switching insurance companies.

Any suggestions on good, low-cost insurance that covers aftermarket modifications?
Old 08-10-2007, 02:44 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, Progressive dropped me for the same reason on my Formula, they said it was "too modified" and it was done in an "unacceptable manner" like suspension mods made the car unsafe or some ****. ********.

I'm telling go to State Farm. Best thing I ever did. They rock, they know exactly what mods are done to my cars, and they have never given me an ounce of trouble. Not to mention that when I had my accident, they took awesome care of me. I will never switch unless I HAVE to.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had State Farm since 1995
they've treated me great,

they tend to be a little expensive (when you're young or a new customer)
but discounts start stacking up pretty quick

I think I pay about $70/mo for 100/300/100K with full coverage and $250 deducts
(but I'm over 25, good record, multi vehicle, multi line (life, car, ect..)

good luck,
Russ
Old 08-10-2007, 08:43 AM
TECH Regular

I too would suggest State Farm. I've been with them since 1989 and their rates have been really good for me. I too have multi line/car which help the rates.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Safeco is very good in the northwest. Try them too.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Statefarm. Steph saved $30 a month over safeco on hers. I have been with state farm for the most part since 1983. I was away six year for bad behavior
Old 08-10-2007, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Statefarm. Steph saved $30 a month over safeco on hers. I have been with state farm for the most part since 1983. I was away six year for bad behavior

Bad behavior!!! Not you Ellis
I've been with State Farm since 1970 and I pay less then $2000 a year for 2 twelve second cars a truck and one Motorcycle. Of course I'm old and get a discount but my right foot still gets heavy now and then.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I talked to Progressive and Geico. They both have the same policy. Esurance, on the other hand, will still insure the car so long as you are still running the same engine block. However, they will only repair to stock in case of an accident.

Do State Farm or Safeco cover based on Agreed value rather than just ACV? That seems to be the key for covering large dollar customizations.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another vote for State Farm. Been with them since 1992 or so and haven't looked back. As mentioned, the longer you're with them the better discounts you get etc. They also offer home insurance which is dirt cheap, and also counts toward a multi-line discount that usually pays for itself.

Mike
Old 08-10-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My family has been with Amica for the past 6 years or so now. Not dropped us for a single thing, never played with our rates either and everything is taken care of fast.

Only time we got anything from them was when my dad rear-ended someone and they sent a letter about tickets all of us under the policy have had, and just basically asked us to be a little more careful. The section that listed my little record at the time took up a 1/4 of the page.

As far as we know they wont drop you for modifications to the vehicle. After my wife hit a deer with the GTP and the appraiser came to look at it my dad was showing him the things done to the car and they didn't seem to mind in the least.

When I was shopping for insurance before we picked up the TA it was going to be near 2.5k to insure it for the year, with Amica it is only costing 1.2k and we get a little kick back at the end of the year for putting in storage for the last few months of the year.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

should check out usaa, pretty good for military and civ... at the end of the year they even send you a check for being with them, esurance seems pretty cool i talked to them when i was gonna get another car and their monthly fee was almost 200 less for full coverage
Old 08-10-2007, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

I had an occasion to hire a personal injury lawyer and he loves esurance. He said that he makes a lot of money bringing them to court and personally he wouldn't use them if they were the last insurance company on Earth.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:23 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crisisman
Do State Farm or Safeco cover based on Agreed value rather than just ACV? That seems to be the key for covering large dollar customizations.
My State Farm agent has a running list of every mod done to my car and pictures of it inside and out, and it's insured for replacement value as it sits.

Quick Reply: If you insure with AIG, read this!!!