Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

I think I would like to be a hot rod shop owner, can you guys tell me where to start

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I think I would like to be a hot rod shop owner, can you guys tell me where to start

Just like the title says. I am thinking that because my ultimate passion lies with all things fast, that I want to work my *** up to one day owning a hot rod shop. I figure if Ellis would chime in, he probebly has the best advice. What I want to know is what would be the best types of schooling to get to be able to achive this dream. I know that it would be a long road, and it would be rough, but the reward just seems so great. I love making things go fast. It all started with RC cars, then onto my own cars, now I think that it would be a blast also doing it for others. I mean is it really all it's cracked up to be, or is it that I'm just on crack.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Western has a great vehicle research program you may want to look into. http://vri.etec.wwu.edu/
Old 09-04-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would love to own a hot rod shop too.

I "went about it" by getting a degree in Mechanical Engineering hoping to design cars.....but now I just work on silly little nuclear subs. If I could run/work in a hot rod shop that pays half as much as I make now, I'd quit tomorrow.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ask My wife what she thinks
Old 09-05-2007, 12:25 AM
FormerVendor

I own one, and its not what its chalked up to be. Lots and lots of hard work, first just to get your name out there. Most of you guys know me, and know I don't and can't afford real advertising, so I work twice as hard to make customers happy so they spread the word. The money isn't great I can tell you that, I like it, as it was my first love many many moons ago. But when you make a hobby a job it becomes just another job. But working for yourself is better than working for someone else, as long as you are making enough dough! Otherwise it is much easier to work for someone else collecting a paycheck and not worrying about quarterly taxes, L&I, liability insurance and all the other BS that goes along with owning and maintaining your own business. I have been doing this for 4 years now and it is no cake walk. I got a new Z06 out of the deal but I make payments on it just like the rest of you guys out there I was an electrical engineer for 25+ years and the money was damn good, especially when I was working over seas. I miss that and all the beni's that go with it but its good to be home too.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:08 AM
10 Second Club

When I started this I had an Old business owener put it best... Now you own your job treat it well

TJ Is much better suited to give advice on this then I am.

BTW You don't really like your social Life do you?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Ask My wife what she thinks
I have a Husband? I haven't seen him in so long I forgot what he looks like!

Anyway, Like Tom said, you are turning your hobby into a job. I'd say get lots of schooling and start saving your money now.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I guess that what I should do is continue on my origional plan. I am going to go to school for computer science, and after I get my degree I was wanting to get into game design. Maybe I should continue with that, get through school so I can get a good job, enough money to actually get really into this like a lot of you guys, and then see if that's what I really want to do.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z ANGEL
I have a Husband? I haven't seen him in so long I forgot what he looks like!

Anyway, Like Tom said, you are turning your hobby into a job. I'd say get lots of schooling and start saving your money now.
Steph. He is in the Garage, Swearing @ his car, Can't you hear him???
Old 09-05-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

What?? Oh yeah, let me take my ear plugs out...
Old 09-05-2007, 09:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99LSS1
Steph. He is in the Garage, Swearing @ his car, Can't you hear him???

Hey It is Quiet tonight

BTW one set of head gaskets for sale..Used once!

Hey they went fast!
Old 09-05-2007, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Hey It is Quiet tonight
It's only quiet because your not in the garage!?
Old 09-07-2007, 01:10 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jewbacca
Yeah, I guess that what I should do is continue on my origional plan. I am going to go to school for computer science, and after I get my degree I was wanting to get into game design. Maybe I should continue with that, get through school so I can get a good job, enough money to actually get really into this like a lot of you guys, and then see if that's what I really want to do.
There is lots of money in game design, at least it appears so. I mean look at the X box, and Play Station sales and how people wait in line for insane amounts of time just to get one of these things when a new release shows up! Stay in school get your degree and make some cash I actually didn't use my degree for some time, it wasn't until a nasty divorce that I actually got me going and out of the area for awhile. I did well as an engineer, loved the work and travel and got to see places I would never have if I didn't make the move. But travelling all over the world gets old, so I came home and went back to playing with hot rods. Owning my dyno business was a dream of mine when I was in high school, even before I knew what a chassis dyno was! But as a dumb kid, I had no idea as to what it takes to run a business. Let me tell you I do now! I miss the engineering work, the money mostly, its times when I got grease all the way to my elbows that really gets me missing the engineering work
Old 09-07-2007, 03:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

You guys make it seem like you don't enjoy it, lol. But I'm sure at the end of the day when the customer leaves with a huge grin on his face, it makes the grease to the elbows worth it. If i was a betting man id bet that all of you owners enjoy the work more than the money, other wise you'd pay someone to do the work and just sit back and watch. But then again I've lost quite a few bets lately, lol. One day i would like to own my own shop or even be a partner, but for now I'm just putting the stones in place. someday it will happen.

Brody

Last edited by XLR8N; 09-07-2007 at 03:11 AM.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, it is nice seeing people drive off with that Big grin and of course they love doing what they do or they wouldn't be doing it. We are just saying that it is a lot of hard work and a lot of long days.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Z ANGEL
Yeah, it is nice seeing people drive off with that Big grin and of course they love doing what they do or they wouldn't be doing it. We are just saying that it is a lot of hard work and a lot of long days.
I know i was just giving them a hard time

brody
Old 09-07-2007, 08:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by XLR8N
You guys make it seem like you don't enjoy it, lol. But I'm sure at the end of the day when the customer leaves with a huge grin on his face, it makes the grease to the elbows worth it. If i was a betting man id bet that all of you owners enjoy the work more than the money, other wise you'd pay someone to do the work and just sit back and watch. But then again I've lost quite a few bets lately, lol. One day i would like to own my own shop or even be a partner, but for now I'm just putting the stones in place. someday it will happen.

Brody
Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy it most of the times. And its very rewarding when I see the owner coming in with a huge grin after test driving his car with mods I just installed or from a fresh dyno tuning session. And of course I always appreciate it when customers lets other know of my work for them and or posting on forums such as this. But at times making a lot more cash is always nice as well. Put it this way, one has to love this because it ISN'T the money that keeps us doing this. I can't begin to tell you how many new friends that I have because of it. As many of my customers become friends as well.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tjwong
Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy it most of the times. And its very rewarding when I see the owner coming in with a huge grin after test driving his car with mods I just installed or from a fresh dyno tuning session. And of course I always appreciate it when customers lets other know of my work for them and or posting on forums such as this. But at times making a lot more cash is always nice as well. Put it this way, one has to love this because it ISN'T the money that keeps us doing this. I can't begin to tell you how many new friends that I have because of it. As many of my customers become friends as well.

I could not have said it better

Quick Reply: I think I would like to be a hot rod shop owner, can you guys tell me where to start