Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

New License Fee Bill

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry New License Fee Bill

This crappy state is going to do everything they can to get our money away from us..like they don't have enough of our money already!

----------------------------------------------

Vehicle License Fee Bill SB6900

There is a bill that the Washington State Legislature is trying to pass in Olympia that, if successful, will directly add huge costs to our vehicle license fees. Everyone needs to know about so this situation so that you can contact your representatives and voice your objection.

The bill is SB 6900 and it adds an "engine displacement" fee to the vehicle license tabs upon renewal.
The fee has a varied amount depending on the size of the vehicle's engine:

Engine Size (liters) Rate Schedule
Up to 1.9 $0
2.0 - 2.9 $70
3.0 - 3.9 $225
4.0 - 4.9 $275
5.0 - 5.9 $325
6.0 - 7.9 $400
8.0 or over $600

For each car & truck that you own, calculate the rate by matching the engine size in liters to the dollar amount. Add the amounts for each vehicle and you'll see that the average two car family will be paying $500+ every year in "displacement fees" on top of the normal license fees. If you have three vehicles, you'll be paying even more.

The average family is already struggling with the high cost of gasoline, electricity, food and everything else, and our lawmakers want us to pay more, thinking we have unlimited deep pockets. This will do great damage to the budgets of retirees on fixed incomes as well.

Now is the time to be very vocal against this bill.

I would encourage everyone reading this to all of our representatives.

Here's the web page for the bill where you can read the text:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summ...6900&year=2007

Here's the link for contacting your representatives:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx

If we don't threaten mass rebellion over this, they'll pass this bill and we'll be paying huge fees every year on top of their increase in the gas tax. They have to know that we won't stand for any more taxes or increase in licensing fees.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

If I remember correctly, Don already posted this in another thread and it was dead for this year, but we still need to start fighting it now for next year.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

yea i just got this from hitman on myspace hopefully ill be in texas by then i just bought my first truck in washington and it was so retarded with the fees and regs i almost took it to oregon to get tags for it
Old 02-25-2008, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

Bills have to meet certian deadlines to continue on.
January 14, 2008 First Day of Session
February 8, 2008 Last day to read in committee reports in house of origin, except House fiscal committees and Senate Ways & Means and Transportation committees.
February 12, 2008 Last day to read in committee reports from House fiscal committees and Senate Ways & Means and Transportation committees in house of origin.
February 19, 2008 Last day to consider bills in house of origin (5 p.m.).
February 29, 2008 Last day to read in committee reports from opposite house, except House fiscal committees and Senate Ways & Means and Transportation committees.
March 3, 2008 Last day to read in opposite house committee reports from House fiscal committees and Senate Ways & Means and Transportation committees.
March 7, 2008 Last day to consider opposite house bills (5 p.m.) (except initiatives and alternatives to initiatives, budgets and matters necessary to implement budgets, differences between the houses, and matters incident to the interim and closing of the session).*
March 13, 2008 Last day allowed for regular session under state constitution.
This is the latest history of SB6900.

History of Bill
as of Monday, February 25, 2008 5:15 PM

Sponsors:Senators Tom, Kohl-Welles, Pridemore, Keiser, Kline
2008 REGULAR SESSION
Feb 1 First reading, referred to Water, Energy & Telecommunications. (View Original Bill)
Feb 5 Executive action taken in the Senate Committee on Water and Energy & Telecommunications at 10:00 AM.
Feb 6 WET - Majority; without recommendation. And refer to Transportation. Minority; without recommendation. Referred to Transportation.
If you notice, SB6900 was refered to the Trasnportation Committee on February 6th and does not have anymore information after that. That means it did NOT meet the February 19, 2008 "Last day to consider bills in house of origin (5 p.m.)." deadline to be passed out of the Senate.

That means it is dead for 2008, but will automatically be reintroduced in 2009.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

I couldn't help but notice that all of the Bills sponsors are Dem's.
Also, if I remember correctly, it was our Dem Gov that pushed through the 9 cent a gallon Gas tax.
I don't understand why people get angry when these folks do what they do...
I can safely predict more tax increases on the way. We live in a Democratic State.

It's no mystery.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

How do you like my repsonse?

Vote for SB 6900 & I won't vote for you

All things considered I think this is a horrible bill. Since most of my vehicles have V8s in them, I already pay more in gas taxes. This bill will cost me about $1000 more every year. And with the price of gas estimated to go up to $4 gal, I simply won't be able to afford something. Like going to small businesses & buying things.

Is that your goal, to make small businesses go out of business?

Or are you simply trying to over ride the voice of the people. I seem to recall we recently voted out the excessive vehicle license tab fees we used to pay. Because that money did very liitle to help roads or schools like it was supposed to.

If you want to raise some money why not tax Boeing $50,000 for every high paying job they out source? That might actually have a positive affect on our economy.....

PS Dem or Rep, they all raise our taxes, it's just a matter of for what (like wars or education)
Old 02-25-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

^ Exactly, you guys need to vote these ******* out.

It's bad enough when they say they need to raise taxes for more government programs.

No longer is it about government programs...it's to "curb global warming."

Time to tax these global WHINERS if you ask me.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry if it was a re-post...Although I think these things should be posted over and over again anyway Thanks Don for posting the dates, I didn't know that it was over for the year already..

Good one Mark! Our thieving government needs to know that not all of us are rich and can afford to keep paying them all of our paychecks.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't like that bill, but giving the oil companies a free reign to raise prices and make windfall profits when they are not competing with each other and obviously manipulating gas prices is a greater crime than this bill. And that doesn't even address the subsidies the taxpayers provide to them...

I'd rather have my money going to the state than the seven sisters (oil cartel).

Higher taxes are one issue, fair taxes are another: Voters in this state voted for Tim Eiman's (sp?) reduction of tab fees. His initiative and referendum replaced a progressive tax, based on car values, with a regressive flat tax. Those changes saved the rich folks millions, saved the poor almost nothing, and caused a shortfall in revenue.

A far greater worry than oil prices and draconian bills is the inflation we're seeing, and that IS the fault of this administration and its runaway and irresponsible spending.

Last edited by esoteric; 02-26-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Regular

I decided to make a sig in the spirit of this ridiculous bill

Props to Bob for standing up publicly on the larger issue

Last edited by OSUBraden; 02-26-2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by esoteric
I don't like that bill, but giving the oil companies a free reign to raise prices and make windfall profits when they are not competing with each other and obviously manipulating gas prices is a greater crime than this bill. And that doesn't even address the subsidies the taxpayers provide to them...

I'd rather have my money going to the state than the seven sisters (oil cartel).

Higher taxes are one issue, fair taxes are another: Voters in this state voted for Tim Eiman's (sp?) reduction of tab fees. His initiative and referendum replaced a progressive tax, based on car values, with a regressive flat tax. Those changes saved the rich folks millions, saved the poor almost nothing, and caused a shortfall in revenue.

A far greater worry than oil prices and draconian bills is the inflation we're seeing, and that IS the fault of this administration and its runaway and irresponsible spending.
Prior to addressing all social ills with government and taxation, could you please at least define "rich" and "poor"?
Old 02-26-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

o crap we halfass rednecks
we have 2 5.7 4 4.3 and a 3.8
way to much money
vote NO
Old 02-26-2008, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Prior to addressing all social ills with government and taxation, could you please at least define "rich" and "poor"?
The rich are the ones in the top 5% of yearly income. The same ones that got 50% of the tax breaks. The poor are the 20% that make less than $20,000 per year that got no tax beaks and pay a very large percentage of their income in taxes.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tails
The rich are the ones in the top 5% of yearly income. The same ones that got 50% of the tax breaks.
Did you mean to say that the top 5% of taxpayers pay about 50% of ALL taxes?
Old 02-26-2008, 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

And the rich CEOs got multi-million dollar bonuses for working with the last 3 administraions to get HUGE tax breaks for shipping our high tech jobs over seas. (since I named both sides of the aisle, I trust that wasn't a non PC rant....) We need a change!
Old 02-26-2008, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
If you pay taxes, then you are rich. If you don't, you are poor.

The government's goal is to push more than 50% of the voters in to the poor category so that they can control the "rich".
Old 02-26-2008, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

I guess I am poor then... If I look at the way you are saying NWDrag.. I always get a pretty hefty amount of change back at the end of the year. But I also live comfortable, have two cars, and food and clothes for the kids. (Maybe not shoes) lmao... some of you might know what I mean.

But I feel I am lucky for what I have. Some people might not, but I guess it is on how you look at it.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by crazylane
I guess I am poor then... If I look at the way you are saying NWDrag.. I always get a pretty hefty amount of change back at the end of the year. But I also live comfortable, have two cars, and food and clothes for the kids. (Maybe not shoes) lmao... some of you might know what I mean.

But I feel I am lucky for what I have. Some people might not, but I guess it is on how you look at it.

I can't believe you think that because...

I always get a pretty hefty amount of change back at the end of the year.
...you don't pay taxes. Do you know how to read your pay stub??
Old 02-26-2008, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Oh man...

I was only trying to be Sarcastic.... Sorry!!!! Next time I will reword what I am trying to say. lmao...

Amount of taxes I paid last year were a little over 7,500, and a little over 850 for state.

What I got back this year, including child care 7,009 for federal, and 754 for state.

for each kid a I received 1,025 x 3 = 3,075 so all in all I paid a little over 3,xxx for taxes this year...

Last edited by crazylane; 02-26-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

^^^ Washington State does not have a state tax.

2007 Tax Bracket for a single person

10% 0-7,825
15% 7,826-31,850
then jumps to
25% 31,851-77,100
28% 77,101-160,850
33% 160,851-349,700
35% 349,701+

The 10% tax increase just happens to be in the "middle class" range.

Quick Reply: New License Fee Bill