Old 02-27-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boyd Coddington passed away

http://jalopnik.com/361391/boyd-codd...dead-at-age-63

Old 02-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

It's always sad to hear that someone passed away....

But, I never liked the guy or the way he ran his business and thought of him as a complete *****.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Too damn young for sure. Loved the show.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Addict

After watching his show a couple times I swore I'd never buy any product with his name on it.

Hopefully somebody down below is treating him like he treated the people that worked their asses off for him.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont really care for the guy either, but he did create some cool cars..

Cadzilla was the first time I herd of Boyd Coddington

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-tires/834606-truth-about-greg-weld-weld-racing.html

Is this a post from him? ^^^^^

R.I.P
Old 02-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

I think that was his kid if I remember right.

Originally Posted by wws699
I dont really care for the guy either, but he did create some cool cars..

Cadzilla was the first time I herd of Boyd Coddington

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834606

Is this a post from him? ^^^^^

R.I.P
Old 02-27-2008, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

Didnt know he had a kid, but did notice it signed Jr. at the end. I'm sure Jr. is set for life..

Originally Posted by TL00CamaroSS
Old 02-27-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I feel bad for his family...I all thought the guy was kind of dick on the show, at anyrate, to bad to see him go.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Always sad to see guys go like that. I worked for people like him most my life. They have huge hearts but are very demanding in what they get. I can under stand it. Never liked it but understand and respect it
Old 02-27-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TL00CamaroSS
Originally Posted by wws699
Didnt know he had a kid, but did notice it signed Jr. at the end. I'm sure Jr. is set for life..
He is Boyd's son. Supposedly he is a lot like his old man and is very talented. I got to meet Boyd and he was very serious not so much an ******* but very intense. I talked to Chip Foose for a while. This was at the Power Tour when they had the '57 Chevy stretched and widened to the demensions of a '59 Impala. Cool car I just don't remember the name. Boyd will be missed in the hobby for sure.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:15 AM
11 Second Club

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...iWSswD8V31V5O2

Car-Building Legend Boyd Coddington Dies
By JEFF WILSON – 9 hours ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Car-building legend Boyd Coddington, whose testosterone-injected cable TV reality show "American Hot Rod" introduced the nation to the West Coast hot rod guru, has died. He was 63.

Coddington died at Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital in suburban Whittier at 6:20 a.m. Wednesday. His La Habra office spokeswoman Amanda Curry wouldn't disclose the cause of death.

Coddington, who started building cars when he was 13 and once operated a gas station in Utah, set a standard for his workmanship and creativity, with his popular "Cadzilla" creation considered a design masterpiece. The customized car based on a 1950s Cadillac was built for rocker Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top.

"That was a groundbreaking car. Very cool," said Dick Messer, executive director of the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles.

"This was your modern era George Barris," Messer said. "He did things to hot rods and customs that weren't being done by anyone else. But the main thing is he designed cars that were drivable."

Coddington was a machinist by trade, working at Disneyland during the day and tinkering with cars in his home garage at night and on weekends. His rolling creations captured the imagination of car-crazy Southern Californians and soon he was building custom cars and making money.

Most often, he customized 1932 Ford "little deuce coupes."

"It was one of those things when a hobby turned into business," Messer said, noting Coddington was also "one of the first guys to get into the custom wheel business."

Wheels by Boyd were fetching $2,000 apiece, which was unheard of two decades ago.

Coddington also surrounded himself with talent. Alumni from his shop include Jesse James and Chip Foose, who went on to open their own shops and star in reality TV shows.

Coddington twice won the Daimler-Chrysler Design Excellence Award and he was inducted into the Grand National Roadster Show Hall of Fame, the National Rod & Custom Museum Hall of Fame and the Route 66 Wall of Fame.

Always dressed in a Hawaiian shirt, Coddington said he loved his "American Hot Rod" Discovery Channel show, which featured ground-up construction of $500,000 hot rods.

"The viewers are ... people who lived in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s and loved these cars. Now, they have money," Coddington told The Associated Press in a 2004 interview.

___

On The Net:

http://www.boydcoddington.com
Old 02-28-2008, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

I was fortunate enough to meet him and he was a great individual in person. TV drama, is just that TV drama. Godspeed, in a 32 coupe!

Quick Reply: Boyd Coddington passed away