Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

What to build up next...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, heres an idea that hasnt been mentioned yet. And this idea sparked my interest the most so far

A Nissan 240SX with a Skyline drivetrain. Convert the RWD 240 to an AWD platform. I get the AWD system I want, a bullet proof motor, and a light weight, affordable shell. I can buy a 240 for fairly cheap. Then find someone selling either a wrecked Skyline or import a front clip and some parts from Japoon. What some thoughts/opinions from the expert LSTECH community?
Old 04-30-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's an interesting idea. Not knowing much about Nissan drive trains I would just make sure the system is compatible. Having talked a local guy who did a 240SX LS1 conversion I would think the biggest issue might end up being the front drive. He had to relocate some of the steering parts and front suspension, IIRC, because the LS1 sits so low. The front drive parts may not fit under/around the engine.

If it did fit, however, it would make a sweet lapping car.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Getting a Skyline chasis... expensive
Getting a RB26DETT... expensive
Modding the RB26DETT.... expensive
Welding up a new tube front end for the 240... expensive

Screw it. I LOVE the power and sound of a LSx series engine. I am going to start researching dropping a LSx into either a 240Z, 240SX or a 3rd gen Mazda RX-7.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by karthalin
Getting a Skyline chasis... expensive
Getting a RB26DETT... expensive
Modding the RB26DETT.... expensive
Welding up a new tube front end for the 240... expensive

Screw it. I LOVE the power and sound of a LSx series engine. I am going to start researching dropping a LSx into either a 240Z, 240SX or a 3rd gen Mazda RX-7.
The tube front end is not that much...

http://artmorrison.com/layout.php?y=...vette/&x=index

Old 04-30-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

My friend and I are currently dropping in a Toyota 7M-GTE (Supra Turbo engine) into his '74 240Z to replace the boat anchor L28ET that retired. They are very fun and light cars!
Old 05-01-2008, 03:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get a camaro !!!!!

gut it,
build up the suspension and brakes

and go fast
Old 05-01-2008, 05:59 AM
10 Second Club

What kind of road racing are you talking about? While I like the idea of a 3rd gen RX7 with an LSx motor (beautiful cars & a great engine) if you are talking OPEN road racing like a few twisted people on here do then the sky is the limit.

It depends on how fast you want to go? And what kind of racing are you contemplating? Buying a car that handles naturally is the cheapest way to start. Vettes, F-bodies, etc as already mentioned. Anything like that will work at a road course like what's at Pacific.

But if you want to go REALLY REALLY FAST as in unlimited open road racing, then find an old Cup Car that already has the suspension & brakes & aero work & drop in whatever drivetrain you want. Or buy Jeffys vette & go racing next week.

I like big cube motors myself. Boyce or Jeff or ____ will tell you it takes grunt (TQ) to roll along at 180mph for miles & miles. Or a spinner that makes sick HP, but those get spendy quick!

Road racing is torture on cars, so simple is the cheapest, easiest way. But the ORR guys here all remember a SWEET 53 Studebaker with a NASCAR motor that ran 200mph, so you can make anything work if you want to be unique.
Attached Thumbnails What to build up next...-lems-stude-before.jpg  

Last edited by WAHUSKER; 05-01-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

Pat,

what's that place we went to that had that bmw road race car?

the place you got your shoes at.....
Old 05-01-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Speedware motorsports in Redmond.

BTW, the gloves and shoes really did make a difference. I just put in an order to ultimate pedal for the heel-toe extension as I need to help reaching both pedals at once.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:10 AM
11 Second Club

casey,

you gotta check this place out

http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/

here's a great candidate
http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/...n=Custom&ID=43

and it may be in your price range (just swap in an LS1 next winter)
Old 05-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Damn, a pre-build bimmer. That would be a great starter. Thats a pretty cool website, I'll have to venture over to the shop someday.

About F-bodies, how much do they weigh? Dont fox bodies weigh less? As been mentioned, I could go with a Mustang and drop an LSx in it
Old 05-02-2008, 08:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
What kind of road racing are you talking about? While I like the idea of a 3rd gen RX7 with an LSx motor (beautiful cars & a great engine) if you are talking OPEN road racing like a few twisted people on here do then the sky is the limit.

It depends on how fast you want to go? And what kind of racing are you contemplating? Buying a car that handles naturally is the cheapest way to start. Vettes, F-bodies, etc as already mentioned. Anything like that will work at a road course like what's at Pacific.

But if you want to go REALLY REALLY FAST as in unlimited open road racing, then find an old Cup Car that already has the suspension & brakes & aero work & drop in whatever drivetrain you want. Or buy Jeffys vette & go racing next week.

I like big cube motors myself. Boyce or Jeff or ____ will tell you it takes grunt (TQ) to roll along at 180mph for miles & miles. Or a spinner that makes sick HP, but those get spendy quick!

Road racing is torture on cars, so simple is the cheapest, easiest way. But the ORR guys here all remember a SWEET 53 Studebaker with a NASCAR motor that ran 200mph, so you can make anything work if you want to be unique.
Well, I guess I want to be honest here. I want a bragging rights car. Something fairly unique in the performance area of a Porsche GT3. I have a drag car, I just need to learn how to drive it better. Now I want something that can eaily hit a low 10 second 1/4 mile time and be able to post some low times at Pacific (Open Road Course, not unlimited). I also want to do a alot of the work myself, as a project. So buying something already built isnt what I am looking for. However, as Kraut pointed out, there are some race car chasis already out there. Mabye I would look into that. But at the same time I want to go through the experience of building it all, from cradle to grave.

You guys on here are posting some excellent stuff! Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. Keep the ideas coming!
Old 05-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer
[LEFT]

The tube front end is not that much...

http://artmorrison.com/layout.php?y=...vette/&x=index

Where could I find a front end of a Skyline?
Old 05-02-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want a bragging rights car. Something fairly unique in the performance area of a Porsche GT3. Now I want something that can eaily hit a low 10 second 1/4 mile time and be able to post some low times at Pacific (Open Road Course, not unlimited).
That's a TALL order. I'm sure many of the really good lapping cars can hit 12's if they wanted, some maybe even 11's, but 10's with control is a very rare thing. If you got good enough to pull both 11's and sub 1:40 lapping times in your GTO you'd have serious bragging rights. I don't know of anyone to accomplish that feat.

As for the Fox body, I'd caution against it. They are great drag platforms, but the combination of short wheelbase and solid rear with that high of power means they are a very dangerous lapping car. There's a reason you don't see too many Fox or F-bodies amongst the serious lappers.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:17 PM
10 Second Club

Well, I guess I want to be honest here. I want a bragging rights car. Something fairly unique in the performance area of a Porsche GT3. I have a drag car, I just need to learn how to drive it better. Now I want something that can eaily hit a low 10 second 1/4 mile time and be able to post some low times at Pacific (Open Road Course, not unlimited). I also want to do a alot of the work myself, as a project. So buying something already built isnt what I am looking for. However, as Kraut pointed out, there are some race car chasis already out there. Mabye I would look into that. But at the same time I want to go through the experience of building it all, from cradle to grave.

You guys on here are posting some excellent stuff! Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. Keep the ideas coming!
Buy a C6 Z06 and spray it.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:42 AM
On The Tree

sounds to me you're looking for a stripped down LSx/T56 swapped 3rd generation RX7..... with the right coilovers, tires & setup it can lay down some amazing lap times.

one guy sold his swapped FD to a guy that couldn't beat him in his $500k Porsche on track days.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

LSx FD would be a sweet track car as well as just look sexy.

I'm all for lsx swaps into things but playing devils advocate here, might I go against the grain and suggest something completely different? Maybe a datsun 510 with a motor swap? I've seen those with everything from a twin turbo GM 2.8 to s2000 engines to rotory motors. They look like mini muscle cars too me. Along the same lines, an 80's cressida with a supra motor. Ugly boxy junk with a big *** engine. Maybe early-mid 90's 525 with an lsx? A conquest/starion with an lsx? I don't know how those handle but they all look gorgeous for older stuff.

Or something prebeuilt-ish like an ariel atom.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

if an ariel atom is the game, this is a lot cheaper- http://www.superlitecars.com/roadster_images.html
Old 05-03-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Saw a C5 Z06 go recently for 15k. Hell, even a C4 is a better sarting point than most of the garbage you listed (at least IMO, sorry, lol). My buddy at work bought a very, very nice with 50 to 70k miles (can't remeber) C4 and paid $5000; it's a killer daily driver and that's what he uses it for. It is a '84, the first year of the C4 and the cheapest Vette you will find on the market. They had some very stiff suspension so that's a plus for what you want to do. Just throughing out an idea to keep ya in the American department, and maybe put a LSx into a C4. Probably even cheaper ones out there that need some work or an engine? Why not do your goat, my Vette is my race project and it still can be driven daily if I want.
Robert

I'm looking to not spend over $5K to buy the car. I want to buy it with cash (no monthly payment). So yes Ack, I will buy your Vette next year for that amount and be set

Whats a c5 z06 run? $25k? If I saved up even $15k cash I would pay off my goat. This way, I can save up to $5K and spend it on a project that I can slowly work on and keep busy instead of buying an expensive car and then sitting around for a few months before I can start modding it and tearing it apart. Besides, if I bought a z06 I would feel WAY too uncomfortable tearing the inside apart to bare metal and using it as a track car ONLY. Which is the goal here, track car only.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robert56
Why not do your goat
That's what I'm wondering.

Quick Reply: What to build up next...