Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

What to build up next...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont want to install a roll bar/cage into the goat. I still use the back seats, plus its a heavy *** pig of a car now, and I dont intend to lighten it.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

OPTION 1: Fiero w/LS1.

That way you could "mod up" as budget permits.

The trick will be using the LS1, though guys get bigass Northstar V's in there so it isn't a matter of space, it's an issue of getting a transaxle that will bolton.

Its light, powerful, and have plenty of body kit options ranging from just fender flares to a lambo/ferarri/etc... makeover. Oh yeah, it'd be midengine RWD to boot.

OPTION 2: Saturn Sky or Pontiac Solstice w/TURBO

Another nice light, RWD option with that bullet-proof EcoTech engine. Stock engine/tranny/driveline makes this a much EASIER build, and there is sufficient aftermarket support to do some stuff to it without breaking the bank. Only drawback is the cost of a used Sky or Solstice... might find a good deal out there though.

Both options would be a blast on a road course with enough hp.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

BTW, here's a guy that does fiero conversions... yes, he even has a LSx kit, AND a transaxle upgrade to use the Pontiac G6 transaxle (6-speed Manual) inplace of the 20+ year old Fiero's GeTrag. http://www.v8archie.com/

you'll note he says a iron-head/aluminum intake SBC increased the weight by 100 pounds overall... obviously an LSx would be 100 to 150 pounds lighter... LIGHTER THAN STOCK fieros! ~2600 lbs.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

If you wanta get really trick, you could try a LS4 swap... DoD, and ~1" shorter (easier to fit) than LS1, and it's transaxle may even be possible if you want an auto (4T65)... that would be a fun Fiero to play with.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by karthalin
Well, I guess I want to be honest here. I want a bragging rights car. Something fairly unique in the performance area of a Porsche GT3. I have a drag car, I just need to learn how to drive it better. Now I want something that can eaily hit a low 10 second 1/4 mile time and be able to post some low times at Pacific (Open Road Course, not unlimited). I also want to do a alot of the work myself, as a project. So buying something already built isnt what I am looking for. However, as Kraut pointed out, there are some race car chasis already out there. Mabye I would look into that. But at the same time I want to go through the experience of building it all, from cradle to grave.

You guys on here are posting some excellent stuff! Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. Keep the ideas coming!
I like your spirit! Rumor has it some whacko in these parts has proven the naysayers wrong & built an F-body that goes fast straight, almost corners with exotics & still has stock interior. (tho he does have to change tires & shock settings) So I guess my advice is listen to your heart & build whatever the F you want.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Cool

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
So I guess my advice is listen to your heart & build whatever the F you want.
COOL! I AM SO INSPIRED! This will be AWESOME
Old 05-03-2008, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

Or maybe this one!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont want to install a roll bar/cage into the goat. I still use the back seats, plus its a heavy *** pig of a car now, and I dont intend to lighten it.
Yea, understanable. that's why I didn't do a door bar on the pass side and had a removable and swing out on the drivers side, though I don't have a back seat to worry about.
Robert
Old 05-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I like your spirit! Rumor has it some whacko in these parts has proven the naysayers wrong & built an F-body that goes fast straight, almost corners with exotics & still has stock interior. (tho he does have to change tires & shock settings) So I guess my advice is listen to your heart & build whatever the F you want.
Really good advice there
Old 05-04-2008, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
though I don't have a back seat to worry about.
Robert
What's that?! LOL
Old 05-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Restricted User

OOH! And I completely forgot about the Mitsubishi 3000GT. It a little on the heavy side, but I am sure some weight reduction could fix that. That car has always looked bad *** IMO.

I think this is the wrong board to be asking about what kind of foriegn car would make a good track car.... hehehe
Forget about it... The 3kgt weighs upwards around 4klbs and I've seen them at about 3400 AFTER being gutted. PLUS, their transmissions are garbage and their engine bay is rediculously cramped.

Quick Reply: What to build up next...