Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Are Stage 2.5/3.0 LS6 heads a good choice on a 402 or 416 shortblock

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Stage 2.5/3.0 LS6 heads a good choice on a 402 or 416 shortblock

I currently own the ported LS6 heads and can have them upgraded to stage 3 (larger valves) for $500. Right now (this week I am leaning towards the 416 shortblock. Depending on which vendor you talk to, they provide conflicting answers on if the ported LS6 heads will perform well. At a cost of only $500 to upgrade to stage 3, I would rather go that route than spending $3k on a set of heads. However, if there is a substantial performance gain, I would consider upgrading the heads.

Thoughts?
Old 06-15-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm curious as well. Looking at a LQ9 408 and currently have brand new S2 heads on my 347 with a dead cylinder. Just to keep costs down I plan to reuse them on the 408, but curious how much HP I might be losing with them.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

their probably not the OPTIMAL head to use, but i bet it would get you by
Old 06-18-2008, 09:31 AM
FormerVendor

Aaron, I recently tuned a 402 with LPE LS6 heads using a 238/242 cam. That C5 made 460+ to the wheels. So yes they would work, especially with the right cam and the extra stage 3 port work. A better head maybe some hogged out Edelbrock or TFS 245cc heads. Or you can go up from there.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep as Tom said the ls6 stage 3 isnt a bad head.

I'll cut you a deal on the Edelbrock 245cc , it takes your stock rockers, no valve cover spacers needed either. THis is where the TFS cost more.. rockers and spacers or taller covers

You can sell your heads to make up some of the cost. The price on WCCH site is $2440, I have been autorized to cut a sweet deal on them. Get your shortblock from me and I sweeten it even more.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Do the Edelbrock heads and the FAST intake match up correctly? I thought there were a few posts stating the intake runners did not align. I already have a ported 90mm FAST and ported LS2 throttle body so I want to stick with a head that matches the intake.

Do you offer AFR or TrickFlow heads?

The only thing that is stopping me on buying a new longblock is that I cannot decide on which heads and cam to use.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:48 AM
Banned

That mismatch was another company's cnc program that I can't mention for fear of reprisal. These are produced by WCCH. Edelbrock makes the blank to be cnc'ed. SO that mismatch was the result of someone not doing their homework when they cnc'ed the head. I do offer trickflows as well but your looking at an investment in rockers and iirc valve cover spacers or taller valve covers and an AFR 225 is more money. This is why I really like this 245 Edel, perfect in betweener TFS AFR 225 cost more L92's less but the intake restriction. We figured 525 -545 rwhp with a proper cam with a 408. But they're so new there arent to many numbers out there yet. Man I'd sell my engine in a heartbeat just to buy a 408 and prove the heads are worth it. I'm pushing them because I know Richard does good work . The flow numbers dont back up at 600 like most heads do they keep flowing to 700. Small increments but its not backing up, it has to make some power. 337 and 240 at .700 arent bad flow numbers at all. The L92 and Ls7 stuff is of course better but it's a different animal.

I talk to Richard and see if I can get any pics from him with the bottom half of a 90 on there. Not sure its possible but I know the concern. I had a set of those port mistmatched to a 90 heads. I wouldnt do that to someone.

Of course I've got a killer set of All Pros for $2600 but the rockers will cost ya $1680
Old 06-20-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hell bone stock ls6 heads on my 408 was good for 430/450 with a very small cam, lol (big cams are not always the route to take). The Edelbrock heads sound like a good deal for sure, though I would prob need to jump upto the super Vic and dump the Jr?
Robert

Last edited by Robert56; 06-21-2008 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Banned

Well not sure about that, I cant talk to Richard and see what he can dofor the ports is what I'm guessing your concern is. He doesnt cnc them until the order, and theh they ship in a week. I call him tomorrow and see if he's around.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Robert56
Hell bone stock ls6 heads on my 408 was good for 430/450 with a very small cam, lol (big cams are not always the route to take). The Edelbrock heads sound like a good deal for sure, though I would prob need to jump upto the super Vic and dump the Jr?
Robert
Ok, well spoke to him and the restriction is the elbow. Where the Super Vic would want to shine above the Jr the elbow will restrict making it a moot point. Unless your gong with an altered hood, problem is to make that bend to stay under the hood hurts the airflow
Old 06-23-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

wouldnt it be wise to have your Intake (such as a FAST), to get port matched with your heads if your doing such a build?
Old 06-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Banned

Robert was looking at upgrading his vic jr to a super match the head flow is my guess.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Ok, well spoke to him and the restriction is the elbow. Where the Super Vic would want to shine above the Jr the elbow will restrict making it a moot point. Unless your gong with an altered hood, problem is to make that bend to stay under the hood hurts the airflow
Yea I will have a scoop regardless of which intake I use. Still will need a 90° elbow, like the Edelbrock version. though I have been looking at combing the MAF and TB to mount right on top of the carb flange. I have seen it done and they just run a standard type carb air cleaner. however, that's for later and am going elbow at this time. then one I have is a piece of junk and will prob have elbow.com build me one to my specs. Still will be going with some cheap heads sometime in the future. I should call Vic and see if he will cut me a deal on heads/intake/elbow, as he always has in the past (senior mechanic/shipwright on his last two mega yachts).
Robert
Old 06-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Robert - Since you are here, what dry kit do you recommend for up to a 150 shot? This would be on a 402 with the stage 3.0 LS6 heads.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by potac
Robert - Since you are here, what dry kit do you recommend for up to a 150 shot? This would be on a 402 with the stage 3.0 LS6 heads.
I really like the new Dry plate kits. The simplicity and inherent safety make it a no brainer in my book. The plate goes after the MAF and they use a controller (the Interface) for stable and repeatable a/f ratios utilizing the stock PCM. You will have the same a/f day to day, unlike a wet hit which varies every day. Doing a Direct Port Dry like I am doing running the Interface is another very stable and trick way to do the spray, though a little more $$. I really cannot find any reasons what so ever to go wet on the EFI/LSx platform, just no need, only down falls. You could even run a cheap nozzle kit or halo spray bar and the Interface if $$ is a concern, though the halo kits aren't real cheap. The new generation of dry hits are so very simple to set up, easier than a wet hit and the controller can also pull timing, so no need for a full tuner package like HP Tuner, unless your going that route anyway. Just need to tune in the a/f with a WB or reading of the plugs and verify timing is pulled while spraying and your done. Hope this helps out some.
Robert
Old 06-24-2008, 01:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Robert56
Yea I will have a scoop regardless of which intake I use. Still will need a 90° elbow, like the Edelbrock version. though I have been looking at combing the MAF and TB to mount right on top of the carb flange. I have seen it done and they just run a standard type carb air cleaner. however, that's for later and am going elbow at this time. then one I have is a piece of junk and will prob have elbow.com build me one to my specs. Still will be going with some cheap heads sometime in the future. I should call Vic and see if he will cut me a deal on heads/intake/elbow, as he always has in the past (senior mechanic/shipwright on his last two mega yachts).
Robert
If you can get a deal on the castings WCCH will cnc them for you, they're just blanks as far as I know and the porters do the rest.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
If you can get a deal on the castings WCCH will cnc them for you, they're just blanks as far as I know and the porters do the rest.
Yea just bare casting with no machine work or parts.
Robert