Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

recommendation for clutch and tranny fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default recommendation for clutch and tranny fluid?

What do you guys suggest for replacing my tranny and clutch fluid? I've never bled a clutch before, anyone have tips or any guides you know of? Thanks in advance.
-Joey
Old 07-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After all the issues I had with my slave cylinder fluid and other related things I've tried several different combo's...

Right now in my transmission I've got 2.5 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and 2 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic 85w-140 gear lube.......It works great now that the weather is warmer........It's a bit too thick for the colder weather we have around here.

Six Speeds Inc uses just Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in their daily drivers and uses 2.5 quarts Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF with 2 quarts of Synergyn Syngear II Manual Transmission Fluid in their higher horsepower cars.......

I wasn't able to easily track down Syngear in the timeframe I wanted so I went with the 85w-140....I talked to Six Speeds Inc before doing this.

As far as the fluid for the master cylinder/slave cylinder, I've progressed from Valvoline SynPower Synthetic DOT 4 to ATE SuperBlue.....The ATE SuperBlue seems to do a pretty good job....Better than the Valvoline anyway......

I'm planning on using Motul 600 when I change out my clutch.....I know for a fact I won't have issues then....May be overkill but oh well
Old 07-02-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

is motul 600 the shiznit? where do u find it? thanks by the way.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used Amsoil ATF when I changed my clutch.

Also, for bleading the MC, a remote bleeder set up is awesome. I got it from a guy on here that was making them.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Do you already have a clutch or are you looking for clutch recommendations? My next clutch is either gonna be a mcleod twin disk or the Textralia OZ700. I know ellis highly recommends the mcleod. I have the LS7 currently and love it but if I continue to upgrade it won't last long.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
is motul 600 the shiznit? where do u find it? thanks by the way.
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...fluid_1a.shtml <-- That is a pretty good read on brake fluid in general and since we use brake fluid in our master/slave cylinders we can apply the knowledge gained to our brake systems and our clutch systems

Valvoline SynPower has a dry boiling point of 503°F and a wet boiling point of 343°F

ATE SuperBlue has a dry boiling point of 536°F and a wet boiling point of 392°F

Motul 600 has a dry boiling point of 593°F and a wet boiling point of 420°F

The ATE SuperBlue I've been running seems to be doing a pretty good job, but just in case I'm going to run the Motul 600 once a new clutch goes in.

What I've decided/learned is that the reason we have our clutch pedal woes is the hydraulic line runs right by the exhaust manifolds so with a lot of WOT shifting at redline you can easily destroy fluids with lower boiling points and in turn get the sticky clutch and all that other crap.

I've had determined this because of the fact that I had a lot of problem with the OEM DOT 3 fluid that was in there originally....I then went to SynPower and had less issues but still had occasional problems.....I then went to ATE SuperBlue and have had little to no issue at this point.

If you want the best of the best then you'd Castrol SRF, but its like $70 for a 32 oz bottle and Motul 600 is less than 1/2 that much.

I don't know of any stores in the area that are going to carry ATE SuperBlue or Motul 600 in stock......You're gonna have to order it online or call a local shop and see if they can get some from their supplier.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HitmanLSX
Do you already have a clutch or are you looking for clutch recommendations? My next clutch is either gonna be a mcleod twin disk or the Textralia OZ700. I know ellis highly recommends the mcleod. I have the LS7 currently and love it but if I continue to upgrade it won't last long.
Im going with a Spec 3+.. had a RAM powergrip HD for less than a year.. unfortunately i cant afford a Tex.. I WISH i could run a tex, but the price is a bit out of my reach right now
Old 07-02-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

ive got my clutch lines wraped in "heater hose", so i dont have a sitcky clutch issue... it was the clutch just slipping
Old 07-02-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

so the tranny takes 4 quarts correct? I was reading somewhere and this guy mixed 2 quarts of ATF and 2 quarts of something else i cant remember for his M6..?
Old 07-02-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ellis did my tranny Fluid and Clutch, I have a Mcleod Twin Disk. I would never use anything but that now. That clutch has been awesome! Ellsi said I have a mixture in my tranny, but for the life of me I can't remeber what it is.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

ive got my clutch lines wraped in "heater hose", so i dont have a sitcky clutch issue... it was the clutch just slipping
I'd go with at least ATE SuperBlue if your lines are wrapped to prevent heat from getting to the fluid.....Its a good product.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

so the tranny takes 4 quarts correct? I was reading somewhere and this guy mixed 2 quarts of ATF and 2 quarts of something else i cant remember for his M6..?
It depends on what angle you are at...

I was able to get 4.5 total in my T56...This is one of those situations where you want to get as much in as possible...

There is actually a way to do it from the top by taking the shifter out and some other crap and that will apparently get you the maximum possibly amount of fluid.

I had mine on jackstands with the nose up higher than the rear and I was able to get 4.5 in.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

my trannys on the floor i think i can put in tranny fluid pretty easily
Old 07-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

my trannys on the floor i think i can put in tranny fluid pretty easily
Buy 5 total quarts and stuff as much in as possible

Are you going to do the mix I mentioned?
Old 07-02-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

have no idea yet, the clutch shipped out today and probably wont be here until the beginning of next week. So i have some more time to research it.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

have no idea yet, the clutch shipped out today and probably wont be here until the beginning of next week. So i have some more time to research it.
Well if you have time then get some of the Syngear stuff that Six Speeds Inc recommends...

Originally Posted by Six Speeds Inc.

Q: What transmission fluid do you recommend?

A: We use Mobil 1 ATF in all of our daily drivers. While Mobil 1 is what is desired some customers have trouble finding it in there locations. We also use GM Synchromesh. Royal Purple should not be used in a stock transmission as it has been known to cause premature blocker ring wear.

Q: What transmission fluid do you run in the high horsepower applications?

A: If you car makes over 650rwhp you should use 2 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF and 2 quarts of Synergyn Syngear II Manual Transmission Fluid. We have noticed a dramatic difference in the performance of our high horsepower units while mixing these 2 fluids. The Synergyn can be bought thru us or thru synergyn's website.

It says 650whp+ but you can't be too careful with this kind of thing....

I know I used Mobil 1 ATF in mine by itself for a bit and it still didn't feel quite right.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Junkie

^^^^nice, thanks bro....
maybe ill roll with 2 quarts of ATF and 2 quarts of Synergyn
Old 07-02-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Junkie

lol u can only buy 4 bottles of Mobil 1 ATF fluid...pretty whack
Old 07-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Hit up Autozone, pick up 3 bottles of Mobil 1 ATF, order some of the Syngear II from Six Speeds Inc, and have at it...

You will be able to fit more than 4 quarts in the trans...

Rotate....1 quart Mobil 1 ATF, 1 quart Syngear, 1 quart Mobil 1 ATF, 1 quart Syngear, and then fill up the little space left with Mobil 1 ATF
Old 07-02-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ellis says he uses 3 quarts of Redline MTL and the rest with the full synthetic fluid of your choice.

If you're having a sticky clutch issue it may/may not have anything to do with your clutch line. I use Motul 600 and have an insulated steel line and it still won't do the job if I over-rev it. The stock clutch just isn't made to work right above 6k rpm.

BTW, if you're looking for a new clutch, you may want to give Turbo Tech a call. They're installing my new OZ700 X-grip(I'll pick the car up tomorrow). The price they quoted me was surprisingly good. You'll regret not giving them a call before you settle for a "cheaper" clutch.

Quick Reply: recommendation for clutch and tranny fluid?