Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Les schwab is gay

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Les schwab is gay

I got my new tires for my project truck yesterday. I got the wheels last week. So today I take them to les schwab to have them mount the tires on the rims. The kid asks me where I got the tires; and I told him some place on the internet and they're discontinuing them so les schwab couldn't get them (not to mention if they could they wanted $300 more for them).

So this kid tells me that they can't mount tires bought off the internet, cause then they only get the revenue for mounting them, and then started explaining some BS. I stopped him and told him that if he isn't going to mount them, then he's wasting my time, I hopped into the pickup and left.

Then I went down the street to the goodyear place (Kitsap Tire) and they were happy to mount them, and got them done in about an hour and a half. While I was there, I went ahead and got an appointment to have my wife's pickup aligned and the slightly used tires I'm getting for it mounted (I was going to have Les Schwab do that.....not any more.)

So here are the new wheels and tires:

The backs are 315/35/20 on 20x10
the fronts are 255/40/20 on 20x8.5. I guess I didn't get a picture of the fronts mounted up
Old 08-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Les Schwab is the McDonalds of tire centers

The store in Lake Stevens has no clue how to properly use their balancing machine. I have purchased several sets of both car and truck tires, plus sets of wheels. I have never had a single set balanced correctly the first time.

In fact, the last set of BFG All Terrains I had installed there (from TireRack) were not even seated correctly.

I have vowed to never return
Old 08-31-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Resident

derek I would check out sears as well for the alignment.. i have no idea how long kitsap tire warranties their allignments so make sure you ask that. i think sears is either 3 or 6 months

schwab is 30 days
Old 08-31-2008, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've run into the whole corporate policy BS at a variety of places. Les Schwab(wouldn't do a brake job unless I let them replace the whole package, not just the pads) and Firestone(wouldn't even touch the brakes if they weren't 100% OEM) being the latest examples. I've pretty much learned to stick with places that don't have to deal with a corporate policy.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thing you had a good experience with Kitsap Tire. Let's just say my family and I don't go there anymore after YEARs of business with them.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:16 AM
11 Second Club

Cliff's Cycle Center is the same,

they charge $130 more for a pair of bike tires than online (including shipping)
and charge $45/tire for mount/ballance (but only on tires they sold)
Old 08-31-2008, 06:49 AM
12 Second Club

That wheel and tire combo is going to look great.

I have had great service from Les Schwab in Kirkland; repaired tire on my kids truck for no charge even after I explained that the tire was not purchased from them.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Truck looks good.

I ONLY use Discount Tire. They do my RV and all my cars. The one in East Bremerton is the poop!!!
Old 08-31-2008, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
I got my new tires for my project truck yesterday. I got the wheels last week. So today I take them to les schwab to have them mount the tires on the rims. The kid asks me where I got the tires; and I told him some place on the internet and they're discontinuing them so les schwab couldn't get them (not to mention if they could they wanted $300 more for them).

So this kid tells me that they can't mount tires bought off the internet, cause then they only get the revenue for mounting them, and then started explaining some BS. I stopped him and told him that if he isn't going to mount them, then he's wasting my time, I hopped into the pickup and left.

Then I went down the street to the goodyear place (Kitsap Tire) and they were happy to mount them, and got them done in about an hour and a half. While I was there, I went ahead and got an appointment to have my wife's pickup aligned and the slightly used tires I'm getting for it mounted (I was going to have Les Schwab do that.....not any more.)

So here are the new wheels and tires:

The backs are 315/35/20 on 20x10
the fronts are 255/40/20 on 20x8.5. I guess I didn't get a picture of the fronts mounted up
Wow Derek, That is a really nice Combo. I hate Les Schwab!!!!! I usually use Discount Tire in Everett. I have a friend that works there and takes good care of me. I know Mark has had good luck with the Schwab in Marysville.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

I've been satisfied with the Les Schwab in South Auburn...Been using them for years with no real issues other than occasionally a special order item doesn't show up when they say it will.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Crisisman
I've run into the whole corporate policy BS at a variety of places. Les Schwab(wouldn't do a brake job unless I let them replace the whole package, not just the pads) and Firestone(wouldn't even touch the brakes if they weren't 100% OEM) being the latest examples. I've pretty much learned to stick with places that don't have to deal with a corporate policy.

So who do you use for brake jobs and tire mounting, Pat? I'll be looking for a decent place that can help me with my car, as I need some more track-oriented brakes and tires before I go back out on the road course. Since you're right near me, I figure you must know some good local places.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For tires I usually just use Discount Tire. I need two new front tires though and am thinking about going through my dealership because they told me they'd match tire rack prices plus their normal mounting/balancing charge.

I now do my own brake jobs, save for the bleeding which is a two man job. After putting my Baer big brake kit on I ended up going to Reyes auto(just a couple blocks from your place, right next to Midas). They bled my brakes for $59 and used the Motul 600 I provided.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:41 AM
Teching In

I am real tight with the Schwab by my house. They take car of me, my cars, and my wallet.
Most recently I went to another store for two tires. This was a day before my trip to Seattle. I had really bad vibration on the way up. I stopped at a store up there for rebalancing. I was 4oz off on one wheel and 7oz off total. Now my rotors are warped. I'm thinking one of them over torqued my nuts. Since I did a complete break job a week before.

I also had one tell me they would not replace my tires with TR1s. All because of the strut rub some of the new GTO's had. The only reasion they replaced them is because I have aftermarket wheels.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:05 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice wheels! What kind are they?
Old 09-01-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by John B
Nice wheels! What kind are they?
Raceline speedsters. They're a 2 piece billet, polished aluminum
Old 09-01-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

OMG Both Steve & Jason on here at the same time lol.

When we order tires off line (ebay) then we take them down to discount tire
Old 09-02-2008, 01:56 AM
TECH Addict

Those wheels are going to look absolutely sick on that truck. Nice pick!
Old 09-02-2008, 06:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Poik
Those wheels are going to look absolutely sick on that truck. Nice pick!
Ditto!

As for Schwabbie, the Marysville store has taken good care of me in the past. But my guy doesn't work at this store anymore, and he was the only guy I'd trust to work on my racing tires & wheels. Every racer I know is looking for THE place to go. Definitely a need...
Old 09-02-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My family went to Les Schwab religeously before I started driving. When I started driving and doing stuff with the car and paying more attention to things and taking the cars in they were just flat out jackasses to me for no apparent reason. I would walk in and ask for an alignment or balance and they would ask me, "how do you know you need that done?" Would explain to them there is a bad vibration at 50+ and figured it was a balance issue. Took three tries until they got it right... was told each time "the weights must have fallen off" when there was no evidence they ever put any on. Than had a leak on some tires that I got brand new from them that were no more than three months old and took them in and told them it could have a nail or something in it. Same thing... took it in three times was told it was fixed, took it to another location and they said there was a nail in there and pulled it out, and this was one that had been in there clearly for some time.

I priced out some C5 Z06 rims from them for the wife's TA and it was damn near double what I got them from Tomzwheels for, even when Tom threw in the locking lugnuts and chrome valve stems. Went to Discount Tire for tires and got it all squared away easy and no questions about anything and actually lsitened to what I told them with the parts with the rims. If I had taken it to schwabs I probably would have come out with some rusted nuts slapped on there and the chrome lugs would have "never been in the box."
Old 09-03-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats why i work at Commercial Tire. :-)

Quick Reply: Les schwab is gay