Other Special Events Gatherings | Shows | Cruises

2009 Trans Am Nationals in Dayton, Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianB
I'll be there with my medium blue metallic trans am with silver checkered racing stripes. For you guys wanting to win a trophy, let me give you a little piece of advice. The judging and classing is the worst I've ever seen. This was evident last year when 97RAMSST's absolutely gorgeous SOM didn't even place in the our class. I have been going to this show since 1997 and wouldn't miss it, but quickly learned that the years I did win a trophy that I didn't get to enjoy the show because I was cleaning my car all weekend. Then the one year I won a trophy and didn't do anything but wash it and clean the interior. So you can decide to either spend all your time cleaning your car to only be disappointed because of the poor judging, or make it presentable and enjoy the cars and the people.
That is the car I was talking about
Old 08-24-2009, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

I miss my Medium Blue Metallic Formula.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Weel it looks like I will be heading up after several years of not going. I am ready to hang out and see some familier faces again. Zek looks alot different since the last time I was up there. Debating on the show Sunday but most definity will be doing Tipp City!!!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Well in the midst of doing another opti on my formula again in hopes to having it ready for Nationals but if she's not ready ill be taking the trans am up. Can't Wait!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 03:54 AM
Staging Lane

Should be 4 of us coming from WV, but everyone should come for the cruise in at Tipp city, I believe it's the best part of the weekend.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ezekielta
Weel it looks like I will be heading up after several years of not going. I am ready to hang out and see some familier faces again. Zek looks alot different since the last time I was up there. Debating on the show Sunday but most definity will be doing Tipp City!!!
Lokking forward to seeing you Dan.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah Tipp City is nice.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice pics, I love LT1's.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:05 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll be there with the pewter 'bird.

As far as cleaning & cleaning......I never do that. I take a pill that keeps me from giving a crap about much I just go for the fun and fellowship. I missed the last two years...2007 the car had just caught fire in my garage.....2008 I had no vacation time because of a new job. I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of friends!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya it always interesting for me to be judged at any show really, always wondering what that judge is looking for and what they like and dont like, but that is part of it.

For example I would be the worst person to judge the classes with a ton of chrome and polished everything, just not my style dont really like the look at all to be honest, but I can respect the work and money that has gone into it. Also when you get in those classes it is much harder to win since you have such a wide range of mods that someone may have done to their car and it comes down to what the judges like and don't like.

This sort of thing happened two years ago in my class. There was a really clean blackbird in my class that didn't place in the top 3. I couldn't see anything wrong with the car so I thought it was a lock to win it all since it was a rare car and it was clean. But again maybe the judges seen something they didn't like...for me in the case of that car he had the entire interior lubed with armorall...I hate that look and if I was the judge it wouldn't been good for him either. Not to say that is wrong or right just if you like the super shiney look and your cars interior to feel like baby oil was rubbed all over it then go for it thats your right. I personally was thinking my interior is really clean and has a nice satin shine to it and I was wondering if I would get dinged for not having the thing lubed up with that junk. Its personal taste it isn't worth it for me to win if I have to do that and I guess maybe I ran into some judges that think like me that year.

I feel bad for someone like 97RAMSST's who has a really nice car but again is in that class where anything goes and that is a difficult one to win. Now not placing at all that is just wrong in his case, he should place somewhere in the top 3.

Last edited by 02SOMLS1WS6; 08-25-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have never been to the tip city cruise, usually I only come up for the judging on Sunday. If it isn't raining it sounds like I should make it to the cruise in. What goes on and does everyone leave the Nats on Saturday and cruise in together?
Old 08-25-2009, 08:44 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If this tells you anything about the judging, I was a judge a couple of years See, they'll take anybody regardless of their mental stability
Old 08-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 95TAGary
I figured you sold that TA a long time ago?
No still got it, hard time to sell a car like this one that is why I am open to trades a little more.
I agree Tipp City is the only reason I can make it through the weekend. I have won every year and I can say that the judging is off in alot of classes. My dad's SOM Firehawk have been there 3 years and never looked any different but got a third place last. He all ways looses to a red Firehawk with yellow crap all over it.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1transam84
No still got it, hard time to sell a car like this one that is why I am open to trades a little more.
I agree Tipp City is the only reason I can make it through the weekend. I have won every year and I can say that the judging is off in alot of classes. My dad's SOM Firehawk have been there 3 years and never looked any different but got a third place last. He all ways looses to a red Firehawk with yellow crap all over it.
Ya I dont understand that, your dads car is awesome. I talk to him every year about the smoothed and cleared engine room. I hope to get mine done by the same guy if I can ever get my act together and give your dad a call.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like rain is headed in for the weekend? Right now around 40%. I want to drive up to see the 2010 concept trans am this weekend. they're suppose to have it up there. Looks pretty wicked in the Hi Performance Pontiac magazine. Not to mention I need to sign back up for the magazine to get my free shirt,
Old 08-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Do you have a link for the concept?
Old 08-26-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.transamdepot.com/phoenix-trans-am.cfm

Have fun everyone, wish i could make it, but am planning on it in 2010
Old 08-26-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02SOMLS1WS6
Ya it always interesting for me to be judged at any show really, always wondering what that judge is looking for and what they like and dont like, but that is part of it.

For example I would be the worst person to judge the classes with a ton of chrome and polished everything, just not my style dont really like the look at all to be honest, but I can respect the work and money that has gone into it. Also when you get in those classes it is much harder to win since you have such a wide range of mods that someone may have done to their car and it comes down to what the judges like and don't like.

This sort of thing happened two years ago in my class. There was a really clean blackbird in my class that didn't place in the top 3. I couldn't see anything wrong with the car so I thought it was a lock to win it all since it was a rare car and it was clean. But again maybe the judges seen something they didn't like...for me in the case of that car he had the entire interior lubed with armorall...I hate that look and if I was the judge it wouldn't been good for him either. Not to say that is wrong or right just if you like the super shiney look and your cars interior to feel like baby oil was rubbed all over it then go for it thats your right. I personally was thinking my interior is really clean and has a nice satin shine to it and I was wondering if I would get dinged for not having the thing lubed up with that junk. Its personal taste it isn't worth it for me to win if I have to do that and I guess maybe I ran into some judges that think like me that year.

I feel bad for someone like 97RAMSST's who has a really nice car but again is in that class where anything goes and that is a difficult one to win. Now not placing at all that is just wrong in his case, he should place somewhere in the top 3.

If you go to the judging meeting they tell you not to grease up your tires and interior.It will detract from the overall look of the car.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I couldn't agree more on greasing everything up!

Usually I am cleaning my car not stop on the judging day and usually dont attend Saturday. Since I have no chance at winning anything in the winners circle and possibility of rain I will most likely be taking a laid back approach this year and hope to meet and talk with some of you guys at the show. I hope to make the cruise in as well this year since everyone says it is the best part of the weekend.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02SOMLS1WS6
Ya I dont understand that, your dads car is awesome. I talk to him every year about the smoothed and cleared engine room. I hope to get mine done by the same guy if I can ever get my act together and give your dad a call.
Well he will not be there this year, he is going the same weekend of the show to trade off the Firehawk for transam758's 09 G8 GT. I am with you on, no back breaking all day keep it cleaning in the winner circle.

Quick Reply: 2009 Trans Am Nationals in Dayton, Ohio