Other Special Events Gatherings | Shows | Cruises

Clash of the Titan's Shootout, Sponsored by Cartek

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clash of the Titan's Shootout, Sponsored by Cartek

These are the official rules and classes for the "CLASH OF THE TITANS" Tuner shootout , presented by Cartek . The event will be held at http://www.carolinadragway.com It will happen on Sunday February 22nd 2004. There will be a 75.00 entry fee per car if paid in advance, or 125.00 if you pay at the gate. Spectators will be charged 15.00 , kids under age 12 will be free. There will be cash payouts in all classes , the amount will be determined by the number of pre-paid entrants and the number of supporting sponsors we get.

General rules:

1. All cars must be IHRA legal for their ET and MPH.
2. Any octane “gasoline” will be permitted.
3. All classes will be in a heads up fashion, reaction time does not matter.
4. Each class needs a minimum of 8 cars, if that quota is not met, automatic and manual cars will be combined into one single class for that class only.
5. C-5s will race C-5s and F-bodies will race F-bodies, with the exception of the Unlimited Class.
6. Because of availability, AFR heads and LSX intakes will not be allowed unless they are readily available 6 weeks prior to the event. This rule does not apply to the “Unlimited Class”.
7. There will be time permitting six time shots. The fastest of your six time shots will be used to determine the winner of their class. If for any reason you make less than six passes, the fastest of those passes will be used to determine the winner.
8. After each pass, all cars must be weighed in and inspected by event officials or that shot time will not be valid.

Pure Street N/A:

This is for “N/A Heads and Cam” Minimum race weight 3250 LBS.

1. Stock GM short block. Stock GM crank, rods and pistons.
No aftermarket pistons, stock bore. Valve relief’s and rod bolts will be allowed.

2. Any GM LS1 or LS6 heads, no C5R heads.1

3. LS1 and LS6 intakes only, modifications to intakes will be allowed.2

4. Hydraulic and solid roller cams, any timing chains will be allowed.

5. Factory production transmission only, IE M6, M12 or 4L60E.

6. Any gear ratio in the stock style rear.

7. Stock style suspension, mini tubs will be allowed for tire clearance only. All factory mounting locations must be retained. No wheelie bars.

8. Any exhaust system will be allowed. Exhaust systems must meet track decibel limitations.

9. Tires are to be DOT approved with a maximum section with of 11.5 inches.

10. Manual trans. VS Manual trans., Auto. VS Auto. Unless class limitations rule differently.

11. ** Tear down rule will be in effect! **

Pure Street Power Adder:

This class is for 346 “Stock CID with a power adder”. Minimum race weight of 3250lbs.

1. Stock block can be bored .005 and fitted with after market pistons and rods.

2. Any GM production LS1 and LS6. C5R will not be allowed.1

3. LS1, LS6, and Holley intakes only, modifications to intakes are allowed.2

5. Factory production transmission only, IE T56, 4L60E, TH400, ect.

7. Stock style suspension, mini tubs allowed for tire clearence only. All factory mounting locations must be retained. No wheelie bars.

8. Any exhaust system will be allowed. Exhaust systems must meet track decibel limitations.

9. Tires must be a maximum of 12.5 section wide on DOT tire or 10.5 wide tread width on drag slicks.

10. Any single power adder allowed.

11. Manual VS Manual, A4 VS A4. Unless class limitations rule differently.

12. ** Tear down rule will be in effect! **

Advance displacement N/A:

This class is for any N/A Strokers. Minimum race weight of 3250lbs.

1. Any GM block, any bore, any stroke, any displacement.

2. Any GM production LS1 and LS6 heads, no C5R.1

3. GM LS1 and LS6 intakes, modifications allowed.2

5. Any gear ration in a stock style rear.

6. Factory production transmission only, IE T56, M12, 4L60E, TH400, ect.

7. Stock style suspension, mini tubs allowed for tire clearence. All factory mounting locations must be retained. No wheelie bars.

9. Tires must be a maximum of 12.5 section width on a DOT tire or 10.5 wide tread width on drag slicks.

10. No power adders allowed.

Advanced displacement Power Adder:

This class is for Stroker engines with a single power adder. Minimum race weight of 3400lbs.

2. Any GM production LS1 or LS6 heads, no C5R heads.1

3. GM LS1 and LS6 intakes, modifications to the intakes are allowed.2

7. Stock style suspension, mini tubs allowed for tire clearence only. All factory mounting locations must be retained. No wheelie bars.

9. Tires must be a maximum of 12.5”section width on DOT or 10.5 tread width on drag slicks.

10. Single power adder of any size will be allowed.

Unlimited Class
All LS1 Cars in this class, C5, and Fbodies.

The rules are simple. 3100 LBS, LS1 based engine, 11” maximum tread width slicks, Stock style suspension, factory mounting points must be retained, wheelie bars will be allowed, all heads, intakes, multiple power adders, all GM transmitions, no Lencos, Liberties, Gericos, etc. Leave the excuses home run what you brung.

** Tear down rule: If some one wants to protest a car, the protester puts up $1000. The protested car must remove one cylinder head for short block inspection, or other necessary parts (for nitrous inspection) in front of and inspected by an official. If the car is found legal, the protester must pay the money to the cars owner. If the car is found illegal, the protester keeps the money and the car is disqualified. If the protested car refuses to comply, the car is disqualified.**

Note 1: FAST intakes are allowed in all classes if released 6 weeks prior to the event.
Note 2: AFR heads are allowed in all classes, except NA and PA Pure Street, if released 6 weeks prior to the event.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why no TH400 & TH350's for Pure Steet but OK for Pure Street Power Adder? They technically were production transmissions during from the 60's - 80's though =)

Lee

Last edited by FEAR THE LS1; 01-13-2004 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also is this event part of the Eckler's Corvette Challange or is taking place after the event on Sunday?
Old 01-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F-bodies can run T-350's, T-400's or powerglides , I think Mike included some of the rules for C5's in with the F-bodies by mistake .
Old 01-13-2004, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hrmm This sounds like a fun race and it would be about a 9 hour drive for me, thats not too bad. I could easily make a 9 hour drive straight through.

Is there any additional rules for fbodies? Other than whats been posted. Mostly the fine detail stuff, I meet all the rules posted above to run in any of the classes, but what about stuff like interior pieces, carpet, etc? I don't have a passenger seat, but I could put it in the car, just need to know. I'm also guessing that transbrakes are ok too? Also what about ballast boxes? I will need to add about 30-40 lbs to make 3250 RW.

I'd like to know about any "fine details" if everything looks cool, I'd like to pre-register and make my plans to attend. The weekend of the 22nd would be perfect, I have no other racing events going on.

Thanks!
Lee

PS.. Do I call Cartek to pre-register? Or the Corvette Challenge ppl? I didn't see any info about a Clash of the Titans including fbodies on the Corvette's website.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I plan on making this event. I hope we have a big showing. it's going to be a long drive for me .. Plus I would like to race Lee should be a very good race
Old 01-13-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

That'd be cool!

But if enough cars enter looks like they will seperate the auto's from the manuals. If so maybe we could get on the track for a heads up race atleast once. =)

Lee
Old 01-13-2004, 03:14 PM
10 Second Club

It doesn't look like my intake will be legal.. Doubt I'd be ready either..
Old 01-13-2004, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Default rule 3

Originally Posted by Big Mike
These are the official rules and classes for the "CLASH OF THE TITANS" Tuner shootout , presented by Cartek . The event will be held at http://www.carolinadragway.com It will happen on Sunday February 22nd 2004. There will be a 75.00 entry fee per car if paid in advance, or 125.00 if you pay at the gate. Spectators will be charged 15.00 , kids under age 12 will be free. There will be cash payouts in all classes , the amount will be determined by the number of pre-paid entrants and the number of supporting sponsors we get.

General rules:

1. All cars must be IHRA legal for their ET and MPH.
2. Any octane “gasoline” will be permitted.
3. All classes will be in a heads up fashion, reaction time does not matter.
4. Each class needs a minimum of 8 cars, if that quota is not met, automatic and manual cars will be combined into one single class for that class only.
5. C-5s will race C-5s and F-bodies will race F-bodies, with the exception of the Unlimited Class.
6. Because of availability, AFR heads and LSX intakes will not be allowed unless they are readily available 6 weeks prior to the event. This rule does not apply to the “Unlimited Class”.
7. There will be time permitting six time shots. The fastest of your six time shots will be used to determine the winner of their class. If for any reason you make less than six passes, the fastest of those passes will be used to determine the winner.
8. After each pass, all cars must be weighed in and inspected by event officials or that shot time will not be valid.

Pure Street N/A:

This is for “N/A Heads and Cam” Minimum race weight 3250 LBS.

1. Stock GM short block. Stock GM crank, rods and pistons.
No aftermarket pistons, stock bore. Valve relief’s and rod bolts will be allowed.

2. Any GM LS1 or LS6 heads, no C5R heads.1

3. LS1 and LS6 intakes only, modifications to intakes will be allowed.2

7. Stock style suspension, mini tubs will be allowed for tire clearance only. All factory mounting locations must be retained. No wheelie bars.

9. Tires are to be DOT approved with a maximum section with of 11.5 inches.

10. Manual trans. VS Manual trans., Auto. VS Auto. Unless class limitations rule differently.

Pure Street Power Adder:

This class is for 346 “Stock CID with a power adder”. Minimum race weight of 3250lbs.

1. Stock block can be bored .005 and fitted with after market pistons and rods.

2. Any GM production LS1 and LS6. C5R will not be allowed.1

3. LS1, LS6, and Holley intakes only, modifications to intakes are allowed.2

5. Factory production transmission only, IE T56, 4L60E, TH400, ect.

9. Tires must be a maximum of 12.5 section wide on DOT tire or 10.5 wide tread width on drag slicks.

10. Any single power adder allowed.

11. Manual VS Manual, A4 VS A4. Unless class limitations rule differently.

12. ** Tear down rule will be in effect! **

Advance displacement N/A:

This class is for any N/A Strokers. Minimum race weight of 3250lbs.

2. Any GM production LS1 and LS6 heads, no C5R.1

3. GM LS1 and LS6 intakes, modifications allowed.2

7. Stock style suspension, mini tubs allowed for tire clearence. All factory mounting locations must be retained. No wheelie bars.

9. Tires must be a maximum of 12.5 section width on a DOT tire or 10.5 wide tread width on drag slicks.

10. No power adders allowed.

Advanced displacement Power Adder:

This class is for Stroker engines with a single power adder. Minimum race weight of 3400lbs.

2. Any GM production LS1 or LS6 heads, no C5R heads.1

3. GM LS1 and LS6 intakes, modifications to the intakes are allowed.2

9. Tires must be a maximum of 12.5”section width on DOT or 10.5 tread width on drag slicks.

10. Single power adder of any size will be allowed.

Unlimited Class
All LS1 Cars in this class, C5, and Fbodies.

The rules are simple. 3100 LBS, LS1 based engine, 11” maximum tread width slicks, Stock style suspension, factory mounting points must be retained, wheelie bars will be allowed, all heads, intakes, multiple power adders, all GM transmitions, no Lencos, Liberties, Gericos, etc. Leave the excuses home run what you brung.

** Tear down rule: If some one wants to protest a car, the protester puts up $1000. The protested car must remove one cylinder head for short block inspection, or other necessary parts (for nitrous inspection) in front of and inspected by an official. If the car is found legal, the protester must pay the money to the cars owner. If the car is found illegal, the protester keeps the money and the car is disqualified. If the protested car refuses to comply, the car is disqualified.**

Note 1: FAST intakes are allowed in all classes if released 6 weeks prior to the event.

Note 2: AFR heads are allowed in all classes, except NA and PA Pure Street, if released 6 weeks prior to the event.

general rule 3,run in heads up fashion,reaction times does not matter, what does that mean

Last edited by NRC-Motorsports; 01-13-2004 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

what it means is .. The guy with the quickest / Best ET wins
Old 01-14-2004, 06:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Two questions Mike, 1) can I get a waiver to run my W tire in advanced displacement n/a? Two, what is the dB level at the track. I run bullets off of the headers.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:45 AM
TECH Resident

Default rule 3

Originally Posted by bspz28

there still has to be a way to start ,are they saying thier using a pro tree[and is it a .400 or .500 light] to start no handicap ,[reaction time always counts in drag racing] evan in heads up racing .or are they doing like some of the street car things 3 best runs wins the title you and i have both seen the fastest or quickest is not always the winner essp. in heads up racing reaction time is a big part of drag racing ussually its the first one to the end who wins,not the fastest car all the time

Last edited by NRC-Motorsports; 01-14-2004 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by bspz28
Pete, typically heads up racing is first to finish wins. Is rule 3 really ET racing? Hope to see you and the green machine there!
Old 01-14-2004, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

What rule 3 means is that it doesn't matter whether you red light or wait for 5 seconds AFTER the green until you hit it, it's your ET that counts. I am sure this rule was put in so that the guys that aren't used to drag racing don't get penalized for a lazy start or a red light, In my opinion, I can see this rule as being valid in the slower classes but in UNLIMITED at least I think the normal tree should count with the first one to the end being the winner if no red light occurrs, BUT since the cars are NOT being paired up and are simply making runs I guess it doesn't matter ALTHOUGH again in UNLIMTED, I feel those cars should be put through an elimination procedure with a ladder setup.

BTW reaction time is NOT part of your ET. You can have a FASTER ET and lose a race to a car with a slower ET with a guy that had a FASTER reaction time. Of course you red light you always lose unless the other racer crosses the center line on the track.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Default rule 3

Originally Posted by sr71bb
What rule 3 means is that it doesn't matter whether you red light or wait for 5 seconds AFTER the green until you hit it, it's your ET that counts. I am sure this rule was put in so that the guys that aren't used to drag racing don't get penalized for a lazy start or a red light, In my opinion, I can see this rule as being valid in the slower classes but in UNLIMITED at least I think the normal tree should count with the first one to the end being the winner if no red light occurrs, BUT since the cars are NOT being paired up and are simply making runs I guess it doesn't matter ALTHOUGH again in UNLIMTED, I feel those cars should be put through an elimination procedure with a ladder setup.
well if thats true ,than whats the point ,so long as the fastest car completes the run he,s /she is the winner a slower car has no chance thats not a drag race so it might as well be like those events where they make 3 runs fastest average wins[those are just to see fastest street type cars they are not drag races]
Old 01-14-2004, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NRC-Motorsports
well if thats true ,than whats the point ,so long as the fastest car completes the run he,s /she is the winner a slower car has no chance thats not a drag race so it might as well be like those events where they make 3 runs fastest average wins[those are just to see fastest street type cars they are not drag races]
Well NRC, it does take the driving aspect out of it. But what it does do is give you a chance to make alot of runs and while it is debatable, it probably WILL result in more participation because they are alot more casual racers out there than die hard drag racers. I personally prefer heads up on a tree that counts but that is intimidating to alot of casual racers or maybe someone who would like to try it out for the first time. You COULD have four qualifying runs and then do a ladder like NHRA, 1 vs. 16, 2 vs. 15 etc. In the qualifying runs red lights and reaction times don't matter anyway even in NHRA so in that sense it would be EXACTLY like Rule 3. That's the way I would do it (NHRA style) but it AIN'T my race!!! LOL
Old 01-14-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Default rule 3

Originally Posted by sr71bb
Well NRC, it does take the driving aspect out of it. But what it does do is give you a chance to make alot of runs and while it is debatable, it probably WILL result in more participation because they are alot more casual racers out there than die hard drag racers. I personally prefer heads up on a tree that counts but that is intimidating to alot of casual racers or maybe someone who would like to try it out for the first time. You COULD have four qualifying runs and then do a ladder like NHRA, 1 vs. 16, 2 vs. 15 etc. In the qualifying runs red lights and reaction times don't matter anyway even in NHRA so in that sense it would be EXACTLY like Rule 3. That's the way I would do it (NHRA style) but it AIN'T my race!!! LOL
yea like you said in QUALIFYING red lights and rt,s dont count but when it comes to eliminations everything counts, i dont see how you WOULD have more run in finals if you know your cars 1/2 second slower than fastest car what would be the point if nothing counts alls you got going is if someone dosnt complete the run,thats all im saying i just wanted to know what that meant never saw that before other than those streetcar average race , thnx
Old 01-14-2004, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

This goes both ways..

When racing off a tree a slower car will always have a chance to win because he could possible hole shot the faster car driver's reaction and win the race. If you are just going to compare the ET's without the reaction time then you are comparing each cars performance vs each other.

If this is the case and you are trying to make this more friendly for the newbie racer, well its going to take a mid to high 10 second car to even be competitive in the slowest class there. If you show up with a stock cube LS1 with only H/C and can run mid-high 10's I don't think that would be your first trip to the strip, and if you can't run even high 10's you know you won't have a shot and probably won't even bother making the trip.

IMHO if you want to give more people (rookies) a chance I think taking the tree into consideration is the only way to do it.

It would be kinda of weird for me to drive 9 hours to SC to make 6 passes.

Lee
Old 01-14-2004, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Default rule 3

Originally Posted by FEAR THE LS1
This goes both ways..

When racing off a tree a slower car will always have a chance to win because he could possible hole shot the faster car driver's reaction and win the race. If you are just going to compare the ET's without the reaction time then you are comparing each cars performance vs each other.

If this is the case and you are trying to make this more friendly for the newbie racer, well its going to take a mid to high 10 second car to even be competitive in the slowest class there. If you show up with a stock cube LS1 with only H/C and can run mid-high 10's I don't think that would be your first trip to the strip, and if you can't run even high 10's you know you won't have a shot and probably won't even bother making the trip.

IMHO if you want to give more people (rookies) a chance I think taking the tree into consideration is the only way to do it.

It would be kinda of weird for me to drive 9 hours to SC to make 6 passes.

Lee
my point exactly thnx
Old 01-14-2004, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

I didn't make the rules gentlemen. I'll have Cartek chime in to answer your questions.