Other Special Events Gatherings | Shows | Cruises

how fast will the quickest be at hot rod drag week?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 12:28 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default how fast will the quickest be at hot rod drag week?

me and geek(a buddy of mine) and maybe some other people are going to do this thing. it seems ideal for my truck and sounds like a lot of fun.

my question is how fast will the top dogs at this thing be.

for those that dont know about it. 5 tracks in 5 states in 5 days. you have to drive from track to track and carry whatever you will need. you have a several hour window at each track to make runs and you take your best slip from each track and get an average. sounds like there are very few rules other than that. the drive is 200-300miles between tracks.

i dont expect to win, just have fun. i think with litte effort i can average high 10's but if i push it hard and risk breaking i have a good chance at low 10's for an average. is there any chance low 10's could place near the top of this event? i would expect to see some cars in the 8's but geek doesn't think the 8sec cars will be able to make the drives. if there are going to be lots of cars in the 8's then i will just go for fun and run some high 10's but if the quickest that can survive the trip will be in the high 9's/low 10's then i am going to push it hard and risk breaking for a near the top spot.

what do you guys think?
Old 05-22-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim, i believe that it is high 8's for the fastest, but i bet your truck would dominate most things out there.. especially if they all had to run on all terrains
Old 05-22-2005, 12:35 AM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by BigBronco
Jim, i believe that it is high 8's for the fastest, but i bet your truck would dominate most things out there.. especially if they all had to run on all terrains
i will be running 4 nitto 305/45/18 DR's for the entire trip.

as far as i know something like this has never been done. do you really think there will be an 8sec car that can and will drive 1000+ miles?
Old 05-22-2005, 07:52 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at events like the pump gas drags I'd say the fastest would be in the 9's somewhere. Its hard to say, all that driving could knock alot of guys out of the race. I think if you can keep your average in the mid/ low 10's you have a really good chance.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

i was talking with my buddy about this too, about what we though would win and how fast they'd be......we were figuring it'll be a fuel injected turbo for obvious reasons, my guess is somewhere in the nines, but so many things can happen in those trips between tracks......make sure you get some videos!
Old 05-22-2005, 09:12 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

GOOD LUCK either way. that sounds liek a badass competition.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will say the "average" will be somewhere in the tens, this is an excellent way to seperate the race and streetcars, your truck will definately be in the hunt. You have the ultimate setup you can carry everything you need, let us know how you do.

David
Old 05-22-2005, 12:44 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I think mid to low 10's, the killer is how to carry all the gear.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

go for it!
Old 05-22-2005, 05:22 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
....the killer is how to carry all the gear.
Not for Jim it isn't, it's called a pickup bed.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:15 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Not for Jim it isn't, it's called a pickup bed.
that is the hard part. exactly what all do i take with me? i could take an entire driveline if i wanted to. a generator, compresor, jack, engine hoist, tranny jack, tools, motor, tranny....... with a ~5 hour drive between tracks that would leave 16+hours of work time if i blew something up, i could change out the entire drive line in 16 hours.

it would be a pain to unload at each site... no wait. hell i will just pull my car trailer and put everything on there, then just un hitch.

but really, probably just take some basic tools, maybe what i would need for a head gasket swap but not much more than that.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

That'd be freaking great. The drag vehicle TOWING the trailer.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would bring as much stuff as you can because you never know what little part could let you down.
I think there will be couple of 9 second cars and you will be in the top of the list.If you ran mid 10s and then at the last event let it all hang out to bring down your average you will end up with a top 5. Look at it this way.
Even if you dont win I bet that Hot Rod magazine will pick your truck as the most impressive.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:53 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by jleews6
I would bring as much stuff as you can because you never know what little part could let you down.
I think there will be couple of 9 second cars and you will be in the top of the list.If you ran mid 10s and then at the last event let it all hang out to bring down your average you will end up with a top 5. Look at it this way.
Even if you dont win I bet that Hot Rod magazine will pick your truck as the most impressive.

I agree with that. I didn't think you could tow anything, or is it you can tow but the vehicle that is running has to do the towing. Parish, you'll definately have one of the more unquie entries, but I think we'll be looking @ a forced induction, fuelie car that runs in the mid 9s for the enitre event. If you push it, you're probably looking @ a top 15. Considering the PGDs had about 30 invite cars last year, you should do really well. You get to make as get to make as many passes as you can and then take top 3 avg. at each track right? Jleews6 is right, take as much stuff as you can, especially the little stuff that's prone to breaking. Good luck! Wonder how many others are planning on doing this as it seems like people such as you, MightyMouse and (well if he'd actually drag the car) Bryan Wilkinson, would stand great shots at placing.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:35 AM
single digit dreamer

you can bring as much stuff as your vehicle will carry or tow. i could tow a full size truck with my truck. maybe i should do that. now that would be funny. the race car towing the (potential)tow vehicle. i have a good sized converter with a huge lock up clutch. as far as i know there is no reason i couldn't tow a full load with it.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:43 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by parish8
you can bring as much stuff as your vehicle will carry or tow. i could tow a full size truck with my truck. maybe i should do that. now that would be funny. the race car towing the (potential)tow vehicle. i have a good sized converter with a huge lock up clutch. as far as i know there is no reason i couldn't tow a full load with it.

Then do it! If you can, I'd at least take a genorator, air compressor, full compliment of tools, a few spare tires. All the weak link little stuff (gaskets, seals, valve springs, valves, a rear gear and front gear, as you launch in 4wd right?). I think you'll have the fastest truck but as said, I think we're looking for mid 9s avg with a few people dipping into the 8s. A lot of speculation on the hot rod board and a lot of people are saying turbo supras, vettes, f-bodies, stangs and vipers. Can't wait to see this. All I can say is, how long before someone attempts what's quickly becoming the "tripple crown" of car building. Taking a shot @ winning PGD, One Lap, Drag Week, and Silver State Classic (or something like that).
Old 05-23-2005, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Even the 900whp Supras (at least in this town) I think would have a hard time making the trip and carrying all necessary gear in the car with them.

I agree, it's bound to be a turbo car who wins it. But as I think of ANY cars, even in the high nines, I have a hard time seeing their owners willing to put race parts through the 1000+ mile torture of highway driving... the 9-sec supra here in Omaha has hardcore, wearable parts that I *doubt* he'd want to take out on the highways.

I saw the article and begged Jim to go. Told him I'd ride shotgun and bring a few spare megasquirts & sensors. I agree that we should pack to the MAX and bring every little thing we can. It never seems to work that you break the things you brought along - so bring two of everything and perhaps nothing will break!

I already took the week off work. Will have the DV camera and wireless internet for realtime updates on this forum.

I can imagine a lot of 9-sec cars showing up at one or two tracks - but making the whole journey is a lot harder than it seems. I don't think any of the pump gas drag cars could pull this off without DEEP pockets and a bumper hitch kit from UHAUL... and some serious planning and support from a chase vehicle!
Old 05-23-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know quite a few 10 second cars that could make the trip with no worries, but I agree deep 9's would be pushing it for some cars.

I think you should tow your race trailer with the race truck. Some people would have a really confused look on their face. lol

Btw, saw it was your bday! happy birthday!
Old 05-23-2005, 02:27 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by dieselgeek
Even the 900whp Supras (at least in this town) I think would have a hard time making the trip and carrying all necessary gear in the car with them.

I agree, it's bound to be a turbo car who wins it. But as I think of ANY cars, even in the high nines, I have a hard time seeing their owners willing to put race parts through the 1000+ mile torture of highway driving... the 9-sec supra here in Omaha has hardcore, wearable parts that I *doubt* he'd want to take out on the highways.

I saw the article and begged Jim to go. Told him I'd ride shotgun and bring a few spare megasquirts & sensors. I agree that we should pack to the MAX and bring every little thing we can. It never seems to work that you break the things you brought along - so bring two of everything and perhaps nothing will break!

I already took the week off work. Will have the DV camera and wireless internet for realtime updates on this forum.

I can imagine a lot of 9-sec cars showing up at one or two tracks - but making the whole journey is a lot harder than it seems. I don't think any of the pump gas drag cars could pull this off without DEEP pockets and a bumper hitch kit from UHAUL... and some serious planning and support from a chase vehicle!
I'm still maintaining that it can be done as some do it now. MightyMouse is the best example of a car that is daily driven. He's run the 9 second # on an older turbo and the question is can he get it straightened out with the new turbo and tune and run those numbers all day long, dunno, but, the capability is there, just my $.05. Not implying he's planning on doing soo. Keep us posted as this seems like an awsome thing to do, but I think it takes some deep pockets no mater how fast you are, since gas and travel too and from the even is the biggest killer.

I'd hope we see some builder / shop backed cars as this is a great platform to get coverage. It'll show who's made of what and it'll be awsome to watch. Think we'll see any diesel powered vehicles ala "gale banks" style project sidwinder?

BTW, Happy B-day too.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Parish should be OK on fuel - we can make a tune for junk pump gas on the highway cruise, and I can lean it out - probably get 16-18mpg or even better, depends on the higher stall converter... but the motor can run 16.5:1 or leaner on pump fuel during cruise, then a quick "File / Load" on the megasquirt and we have the race tune ready to go...

those with megasquirt or standalones know what I'm talking about...

the vehicles I would be concerned about: diesel pickup trucks, although the ones of those that are in the 10s are running pretty crazy engine mods, similar to tractor pullers, and they also could have some problem making the distance reliably. Single turbo supra: if any of the owners put their money where their mouths are, there could be a few contenders in that crowd. There are long-distance-capable 10 sec Supra's all over the place.

I am sure there are some turbo LS1 combos on this board that could do it also, probably in the high nines... but you are going to put 2-3 seasons worth of abuse on your combo in 5 days. Hope your combo is RELIABLE and well built...

This could be a lot of fun. We could throw MY truck on the trailer, in case Jim breaks...

Quick Reply: how fast will the quickest be at hot rod drag week?