Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

My camaro makeover thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My camaro makeover to hellfire

My 98 Camaro SS aka the black dragon is getting all new paint. I ran into a local guy at work who runs a paint body shop who is willing to swap some of his skills painting for mine to detail at his shop. I am totally stoked about this project because I will be helping to prep and paint the car and finally get to learn the art of paint.

I will only have a few days a week after working 2 jobs to work on the car so initial progress will be a bit slow so please be patient with updates and pics. The car will be repainted Kandy Hellfire Red with flake and have some airbush work done as well.

Here is what it looks like after I detailed it the last time. As you can see most of the paint is in good condition except for all the rock chips in the front end. Also the cage will be getting painted and brackets fabbed up to properly support the front grill and license plate instead of zip ties, cleaning up the look of the engine bay, and painting the calipers. Maybe paint the rims if anyone has a really good idea that would look better than leaving them as they are stock. Ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Attached Thumbnails My camaro makeover thread-pic1.jpg   My camaro makeover thread-pic2.jpg   My camaro makeover thread-pics.jpg   My camaro makeover thread-pic4.jpg   My camaro makeover thread-pic5.jpg  

Last edited by SR-71 SS; 03-31-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would personally leave the wheels alone. If your dead set on painting them then go a darker satin or black. Also, remove the front license plate
Good luck and nice car!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:43 AM
TECH Regular

It will take you a while to paint the car....I was working non-stop every weekend and it took a couple months.....good luck....it will be all worth it in the end.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=Elliott's94Z;10777351]I would personally leave the wheels alone. If your dead set on painting them then go a darker satin or black. Also, remove the front license plate
Good luck and nice car!

Virginia requires a front plate unless there was no factory provision for one. I might try to pass it off as that grill has no mounting locations on it and have the plate on the dash. I will probably leave the rims alone and perhaps re-clear them, eventually i will put on drag rims but one thing at a time.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=SR-71 SS;10781446]
Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
I would personally leave the wheels alone. If your dead set on painting them then go a darker satin or black. Also, remove the front license plate
Good luck and nice car!

Virginia requires a front plate unless there was no factory provision for one. I might try to pass it off as that grill has no mounting locations on it and have the plate on the dash. I will probably leave the rims alone and perhaps re-clear them, eventually i will put on drag rims but one thing at a time.
I tried that excuse when I got pulled over for my license plate because I have the same grill as you. The cop still gave me a ticket but my window tint might have had something to do with it.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Launching!

got to work a little the other night, got the headlights, tail lights and mirrors off the car, and got the gap in the front quarterpanel straight where somebody jacked up the car in the wrong spot. will have updated pic up after I get done working on thurs
Old 01-08-2009, 03:15 AM
TECH Resident

dude I ran for 3 years without a plate... got a ticket 65 bucks... paid it... continued to run with no plate took another 2 years to get pulled again... 65 + 65= 130 bucks... plus you dont have to have that ugly plate on there.. its worth it
Old 01-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i've been running no plate for 2 years now and the only time i've been hasseled about it is when i've been pulled over for something else but still have not been given a ticket for it
Old 01-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Launching!

I think im going to change up the game plan for the car, after drooling over that kandy hellfire WS6 I may do the same color.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

any progress on the car?
Old 01-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Launching!

should be have something up tonight, gonna try to get the dents out and the hood stripped after work tonight.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Launching!

well finally got to make progress, got all the rock chips sanded down on the hood and the whole hood prepped on top, got the dings in the quarters sanded, puttied and block sanded. To give credit where it is due, my buddy Jeff who is doing the paint did most of the work, I helped where I could, watched and learned. Going to try to prep the rest of the body tommorow. At some point Jeff will pop on and give a detailed explanation of the pictures and the method for those looking for more useful information.

Last edited by SR-71 SS; 03-31-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Launching!

only took me a second or two to recover when Jeff took the sander to my paint, as a detailer scuffing up paint on purpose goes so against the grain. guess thats why im learning how to paint now as well.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Ok here is the explanation of the work from last night

Step 1. degreased the car with big sky montana 7030 wax and grease remover to get rid of surface contaminates and to keep from inpregnating the paint prior to sanding.

Step 2. after the surface was totally dry, we stripped the fiberglass hood starting with 80 grit 6" disk on a DA sander, removing all stone chips and small knicks. then feathered out the edges with 180 grit, feathered to create a smaller scratch pattern for better primer adhesion.

Step 3. Blew the car off to look for dents dings and anything else that might require body work. Cleaned off all areas that needed body work with more 7030 degreaser.

Step 4. ground dents down to bare metal with 24 grit grinding disks.

Step 5. Feathered out areas ground in step 4 with 80 grit to reduce sand scratched pulling through the soon to be painted surface.

Step 6. mixed and applied 2 part polyester glazing putty made by rubberseal, called Dolphin Glaze. built up a 1/8th of a inch above level to leave ample room to block and feather it straight/

Step 7. after the glaze dried we block sanded with 80 grit, then switched to 180 grit untill everything is smooth and the dent was gone.

Step 8. feathered 8 inches around the repaired area with 320 grit to remove all heavy scratches.

Step 9. Mask off for primer.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Good luck. I hope it turns out awesome. First time painting a car and you choose black? You sir, are braver than I am.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by raisuli81
Good luck. I hope it turns out awesome. First time painting a car and you choose black? You sir, are braver than I am.
thanks, black is what the car is now, its going to be painted that candy hellfire red with monster flake in it. Fortunately for me I have a good friend who does this for a living so I will have a proper paint booth and alot of expert help with this project.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Launching!

got the first layer of primer shot on the hood, can definatly see the puckers from the rock chips so its gonna need sanding down and to be re shot.

Last edited by SR-71 SS; 03-31-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:53 AM
TECH Regular

If I was still in N.C. and not Hawaii I would probably be reworking my car too. Damn the Cold!! Hopefully you get her done before spring. That's alot of work, I 've done 2 Camaro's and it just seemed like it was never ending. She'll look great when your done, don't forget to clean out your wheelwells it'll make the end job look way better.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's gonna be secksy
Old 02-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Launching!

finally got in a little work and got more of the driver side sanded, also starting to work now on installing the meth injection while everything is apart and i don't have to worry about scratching up the paint. will have updated pics in the next day or so

Quick Reply: My camaro makeover thread