Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Removing body kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing body kit

My car had the RS bodykit on it when i bought it. I decided to take it off, and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. What size drill bit is needed to drill out the rivets holding the tabs on the panels? How much did it cost to get the holes filled and get the panels repainted? any info at all would be great!
Old 08-10-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

any help at all? I just need to know the best way to get the riveted tabs off the side and back.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Crush, kill, destroy !!!
Old 08-10-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

u will have holes at the bottom of the bumpers
Old 08-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

I took mine off as well, think I used a 3/8 inch bit but what I actually found was that a bunch of my body pieces werent riveted but they had push pins the plastic ones in there as well. So I used a wood chizel and a hammer and took those bad boys out.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^ Thanks man. That actually does help. I havent actually gotten a good look at them, i just figured they were actual rivets. I'll take another look tomorrow.

Hey bro, you ever take your Z up to Quaker Steak on sunday nights? Its usually a pretty cool time out there, some hardheads almost got into it last night over a knocked over bike lol
Old 08-12-2009, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

mine had rivets, just drilled them out. since mine is black, i just put some black silicone in each rivet hole, its not noticeable and seals up the holes. im waiting until after i do the axle mod and bogarts to take off the rs spoiler, ill have to get the 3 holes on each quarterpanel welded up and painted. im going to put a ss deck on. it looks a billion times better already, cant wait to get the ss rear spoiler on it to match my ss hood.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:28 AM
Teching In

I'm in the process of getting it removed also. Anyone pay to get it removed and the holes to get filled in? if so, how much did you pay? im having a hard time trying to take them out. not very good at this stuff.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:39 AM
On The Tree

Get a drillbit that fits in the center of the rivet head. Drill into the shank of the rivet and use a punch to break the head of the rivet. Or you can just use an oversized bit and drill the whole thing into dust. Either way your gonna have holes in there.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I removed mine I just used a prybar that had two prongs on the end of it (not sure of the exact name) but I just carefully got behind them and pryed them out. It worked pretty well and I only made one dent in the rocker panel, but it was the first one i pulled out, so I didnt do it again. But it sounds like a drill would work just as good if not better.

And you will have holes in both bumpers and the rocker panels, I just replaced my front bumper today and I am buying a rear bumper for 30 bucks already painted. But not sure on how much it would be to fill the holes in the rocker panels.

Quick Reply: Removing body kit