Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Who has actually sprayed sunset orange metallic

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who has actually sprayed sunset orange metallic

im thinking this is the color im gonna be going with for my T/A and want some input from people who have actually sprayed it themselves.

first of all, the paint supply store says they have it in a single stage (base and clear in one) and its fairly cheap. wondering if anyone has ever used SOM as a single stage...

secondly...
has anyone ever sprayed SOM base and then went with a clear over it with pearl in it. this is the other idea im contemplating (pretty sure you CANT add pearl to the one stage, correct?...)

anybody thats sprayed SOM, feel free to respond to with thoughts, experiences and opinions. thanks
Old 11-11-2009, 06:23 AM
On The Tree

1. dont go single stage. single stage is for tractors.

2. yes you can add a little pearl to the clear, but you will need to know the exact amount thats added in case you have to repaint something. i would also do some sprayouts just to see how it will look.

as for the SOM its not bad at all to paint, ive spayed it atleast a couple dozen times,
Old 11-11-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

thanks for the info buddy.

only reason i thought about single stage is because i used it to repaint the 1/4 panel on my last Trans Am after some minor body work and it turned out perfect, couldnt tell anything at all. It was Arctic White though, which probably made a big difference.

one other question...

the car is factory black right now, if i go with a color like SOM, will i be better off spraying the car in a white, silver or gold basecoat first, or will it not matter. I know with candy paints this makes a huge difference, but what about a standard urethane like SOM? im just thinking if this will make a difference, and if so, will the SOM look MUCH darker on my car than it did from the factory...
Old 11-11-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your best bet is find a supply store, we use SW, and tell them what color you want ,and have them to do a few sprayouts for you, one a white base, other on a black, see if you can tell the difference. I would personally go with whatever the paint recommended, the supplier will know what base to use. white, black, grey...ect.

tpain is right as far as single stage goes. We use is on tractor parts, machinery, plows, that sort. Ford uses it on mustangs, haha. It will fade after a few years, BAD. If you ever see a car that every panel on it looks a different color, or shade odds are it was painted with single stage.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

haha good to know. well my 1/4 panel looked great after i painted it and no one could tell but i only had the car maybe 8 months at most after it was sprayed so idk how it looks now...haha.

thanks for the info, anyone else feel free to chime in with thoughts. thanks
Old 11-12-2009, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

you have a clean car as it is... why paint it? and whos painting it anyways (if you dont mind me asking)? i need my slow pile to get painted
Old 11-12-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Regular

My Dad and I will be painting it at our house. it looks clean however the paint has A LOT of flaws. the passenger fender is faded from a respray, front and rear bumper have lots of spider webbing and whatnot, both 1/4 panels have some dings that need to be fixed, the hood is mystic teal off a buddies car, and so on. so basically, i could keep it black and respray 70% of the car and it would look brand new, but if im doing that much, might as well be a little unique. i guess i've just been seeing too many black w/ black wheels f-bodies lately. i've always wanted a sick SOM trans am that really pops, so i figure this is my chance.

im having trouble keeping one color in mind though. i really wanna go with SOM and pearl, but then i keep considering cyber grey metallic (off the 2010 camaro) and i keep thinking Arctic White and a black roof, like my old car was (check f-quick in sig). thinking SOM will be the final choice but since its gonna be a big job, i wanna know for sure exactly what i wanna do.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok first off you dont ever add pearl to any type of metaalic to clear, you use a mid-coat clear to add pearl of candy or metal flake

i have painted this color its not to bad and in ppg`s dbc system goes on fantastic, i would not do or use single stage for this high mettalic of a color, you need allot of experience spraying a single stage mettalic

i highly recomen using todays material spend the money do it right the first time so it wont have to be done again, ya know im unemplyed and could spray it for ya< wink wink hint hint
Old 11-13-2009, 02:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bdyman
ok first off you dont ever add pearl to any type of metaalic to clear, you use a mid-coat clear to add pearl of candy or metal flake

i have painted this color its not to bad and in ppg`s dbc system goes on fantastic, i would not do or use single stage for this high mettalic of a color, you need allot of experience spraying a single stage mettalic

i highly recomen using todays material spend the money do it right the first time so it wont have to be done again, ya know im unemplyed and could spray it for ya< wink wink hint hint
thanks for the offer. i'm sure i can figure it out... it's just spraying right... haha
Old 11-13-2009, 07:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ummmmmmmmmmm ok if you say so
Old 11-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the offer. i'm sure i can figure it out... it's just spraying right... haha
show some pics when your done and then tell us how easy it was
Old 11-25-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

im def. no pro or anything..... but for a butget i dont mind single stages at all,,,, I find it makes black look darker,,, and its way easyer to paint and cheaper..... but if your going for a pro job then get base clear.
I actually didnt like sunburst orange as much as some other close colors out there. I painted my sled and old z24 a vette color called "Atomic Orange" its a tad more copper then SBO and i used Nason Dupont Single stage urathane.
hers some before and after,,,yes they are the same car and sled,,,tell me what you think... in this case its an improvment, only you can judge what you want...its all about $.... for 3 single stage jobs you could only pay for one base clear,,,, but maybe you do a single stage once and its not good enough and you want base clear anyhow.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

i know this thread is old but i am trying to match my 2002 SOM paint on my trans am and wondering if any of you guys would know how i would go about trying to do this .. different sealers? base coats? etc ...thanks any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-05-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SOM is a great color without a doubt but you should at least consider other shades of orange before you set your heart on it. If I am completely repainting my car I would go with an aftermarket color or at least something that wasn't produced on a different year fbody. Here are a few decent shades that might change your thoughts...

Atomic Orange

Brazen Orange

Competition Orange

House of Kolor's "Tangelo"

Thats just my 2 cents...

Quick Reply: Who has actually sprayed sunset orange metallic