Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

removing paint from intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default removing paint from intake

Ive painted my intake red, and i want to re do it. Is there anyway to get the paint off without having to sand all of it off?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Subscribing for answer. I got a painted fast 92 off someone and want to remove the paint and just have the stock gray color. Curious for answer.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

i would try aircraft remover on the aluminum if your going to repaint it anyway dont use it on plastic not sure if the fast intake is or not?
Old 01-07-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

plastic bumper stripper used it on my air lid worked great. as for the fast intake it will never look factory again due to prep work being done
Old 01-07-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

paint thinner should be fine. just dab it on, let it sit... and wipe off and repeat
Old 01-08-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLULS1Z28
plastic bumper stripper used it on my air lid worked great. as for the fast intake it will never look factory again due to prep work being done
that's what i figured but he said he didn't prep it at all. Said he just sprayed some paint over it so i was pondering stripping it off. Figured it would look darker and dirtier but would still be alright. If not i guess a gray paint would be easier to paint over.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive read about a blasting media that uses a type of baking soda which will not etch plastic or glass or anything for that matter and more or less just breaks down the adhesion propertys of paint itself .Not sure who makes or sales it ? They invinted it for the cleaning of the statue of liberty some years back because of its super thin cooper skin that they didnt want to hurt and actually read about it being used in the stripping an intire corvette a few years ago (WITHOUT TAPING ANYTHING OFF) Some neat **** IMO
Old 01-17-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLULS1Z28
i agree, go to your local automotive paint supply store and ask for SEM bumper stripper. it will come in a spay can.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by barnat
Ive read about a blasting media that uses a type of baking soda which will not etch plastic or glass or anything for that matter and more or less just breaks down the adhesion propertys of paint itself .Not sure who makes or sales it ? They invinted it for the cleaning of the statue of liberty some years back because of its super thin cooper skin that they didnt want to hurt and actually read about it being used in the stripping an intire corvette a few years ago (WITHOUT TAPING ANYTHING OFF) Some neat **** IMO
soda blasting is a system like media blasting if your doing a small thing its kida tough not sure if you can do it with a blasting cabinet or not. when i have full cars soda blasted my buddy brings a 22ft trailer in to my shop and does it there but makes a mess. hes set up to do brick cleaning grafetti removal etc.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

I would just sandblast it. If you do use stripper i think it will stay stained the color it was painted.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

you can't sand blast plastic the heat will melt it. you would have have to media blast it. then you run the risk of not getting all the media out of the intake and it going into the motor
Old 01-19-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Sand blasted a fast today, hmm it didnt melt,,,,maybe because its composite...

blast it with air, damn man are you serious?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pheonix
I would just sandblast it. If you do use stripper i think it will stay stained the color it was painted.
paint is not a stain or dye. it simply sticks to the surface of whatever you put it on.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
paint is not a stain or dye. it simply sticks to the surface of whatever you put it on.
That stripper-mixed with paint does tint the part especially if its porous and a light color, which the fast is both. You can get it all out of it but it will be messy and time consuming. If it was a smooth metal/aluminum panel i would agree with you. I know from experience that blasting it is the easiest and fastest way to do it. If it would make the OP feel safer use media to blast it that is alot easier on the material but will take you longer to achieve the same thing with sand, depending on the grain of course.

Quick Reply: removing paint from intake