Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Rear quarter panels on the camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear quarter panels on the camaro

Who sells them? I busted mine up side a light pole. I dont understand how that is actually installed. Whats the normal labor in that?
Old 01-27-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

its not as easy as you think it is
the interior should come out, bumper, tail lights, trunk interior, i cover the inside of the car with welding blankets, ya have numerous spot welds, i either drill out or i grind them down with a cut off wheel but its thicker its made to grind welds down

then ya all the seam sealer everywhere plus the panle bond, once the 1/4 is off, the mating surface on the car has to be cleaned real good for welding, and panle bond, the new metal the same

according to i-car and i do it this way too where im going to panle bond i just use a red scuff pad, where im welding i clean the metal with a disc, then ya gotta drill new holes in the new metal for welding

dry fit the new metal, putting everything back on like the tail light, bumper, the striker, make your gap at the door, and at the hatch, then if ya like it, i dril a 1/8 hole in some points and use them to re hang the 1/4, so i dont loose the gaps i made in dry fitting

then ya panle bond both car mating surfaces and new 1/4, find your holes ya drilled, clamp it in place, start welding

it sounds easy looks easy online but its not its time consuming, ya need experience in welding, and body work in general, but it sounds like ya go neither so this isnt really for a begginer, my advice is take it to a shop pay someone who knows what they are doing
Old 01-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Teching In

new they're around $600. gm parts direct, year one, classic industries are good places to look. You can also check out junk yards that sell used, you can probably get a better deal, but like he said above, probably want to have a body shop do it, unless you have plenty money and time and just want to learn it yourself. I had my dad help me beat mine back to shape with body tools and now it needs a little bondo and some paint. Not the best way, but it was cheap and looks pretty good, and maybe when I can afford a real paint job I'll pay to have it replaced.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Thanks

Oh I have NOOOOO intent of doing it myself. I was just getting the price for the work. So that I can see how much damage I just did to my car. I found one for 200 so that should be a good deal. The labor looks like about 300 or so how many labor hrs do you think they will charge. I think its $60.00 per hr. WOW.

Thanks for the insight.

Originally Posted by thebird_19
new they're around $600. gm parts direct, year one, classic industries are good places to look. You can also check out junk yards that sell used, you can probably get a better deal, but like he said above, probably want to have a body shop do it, unless you have plenty money and time and just want to learn it yourself. I had my dad help me beat mine back to shape with body tools and now it needs a little bondo and some paint. Not the best way, but it was cheap and looks pretty good, and maybe when I can afford a real paint job I'll pay to have it replaced.

Last edited by ssdungeon; 01-27-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if memory serves me correct, 20-30 hours for a 1/4, thats book time
plus paint time, plus removing everything cost of material tax in your area
it could be close to 1,000 if not more
Old 01-27-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default what..lol

I could be wrong but I think its $60/hr here in Charlotte. Thats $1800.00 in just labor!!!

Originally Posted by bdyman
Old 01-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car was black. Meaning You dont have to blend the paint and the car does not have not body side mouldings. I would be around 1866.06 parts and labor. I based my figures off of 40 a hour body labor and paint labor 27 a hour for material on the paint end. 896.12 for the quarter at gm list price, 46.88 for a 3m panel bond kit. The quarter it self only pays 12 hours give or take. Some estimating systems can vary. Then you got the rear cover to R&I tail lamp included. I R&I the liftgate. Interior trim is included. There is a few other things that if I was looking to make more money I can do Like the finish panel R&I blend the rear body panel etc. But that wont make it go over 2k. This quarter you speak of for 200 is probally gonna be used so we would charge 4 hours fit and trim to make it right. If it is a left quarter time goes up a 1/2 for the fuel door side.

Install side is just as bdyman says we use the panel bond mainly for corossion protection as well as the seam sealer. We use a prospot welder so the welding side is a little less labor for the body man. Time stays the same I think it just makes for a better finished product. The shop you choose may not have that equipment, there is nothing wrong with that though is can always be done that ways its been done forever.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey thanks for taking the time to put that together for me. I now have an IDEA and its easier to tell if im being ripped off. and yes that was for a used panel.

I love to have an idea of what im stepping into so this gives me some good insight on what to expect. I was thinking a LOT less.

Originally Posted by blackstang3o2
If the car was black. Meaning You dont have to blend the paint and the car does not have not body side mouldings. I would be around 1866.06 parts and labor. I based my figures off of 40 a hour body labor and paint labor 27 a hour for material on the paint end. 896.12 for the quarter at gm list price, 46.88 for a 3m panel bond kit. The quarter it self only pays 12 hours give or take. Some estimating systems can vary. Then you got the rear cover to R&I tail lamp included. I R&I the liftgate. Interior trim is included. There is a few other things that if I was looking to make more money I can do Like the finish panel R&I blend the rear body panel etc. But that wont make it go over 2k. This quarter you speak of for 200 is probally gonna be used so we would charge 4 hours fit and trim to make it right. If it is a left quarter time goes up a 1/2 for the fuel door side.

Install side is just as bdyman says we use the panel bond mainly for corossion protection as well as the seam sealer. We use a prospot welder so the welding side is a little less labor for the body man. Time stays the same I think it just makes for a better finished product. The shop you choose may not have that equipment, there is nothing wrong with that though is can always be done that ways its been done forever.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn cheap labor rates, in my area were at 48 an hour for body, paint is 48, frame is 90, mechanical is 85, elcetrical is 75
Old 01-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

damn cheap labor rates, in my area were at 48 an hour for body, paint is 48, frame is 90, mechanical is 85, elcetrical is 75
damn frame is up there. we are 40 body 40 paint 55 frame 90 mechanical 90 electrical. getting certain insurance carriers to pay those rates is like pulling teeth. Exotic cars we charge double.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

55 an hour for frame time!!???? that ****** sucks, some shops here are close to 100 for frame and mechanical
some shops i worked for for fabrication work were at 100, custom work 100, resotration 100
but 40 an hour that sucks
Old 02-06-2010, 07:58 AM
Staging Lane

55 an hour for frame time!!???? that ****** sucks, some shops here are close to 100 for frame and mechanical
some shops i worked for for fabrication work were at 100, custom work 100, resotration 100
but 40 an hour that sucks
48 in MA for frame 32-38 Body & mechanical 65-125.. Thats why people dont want to do it anymore..lol
Old 02-06-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im kinda glad i live in chicago then, techs would have to book over 100 hours just to make a paycheck, if i heard correct the shop i work for our labor rates are going up to 50 for body, 55 for paint, 100 for frame, 95 mechanical, 85 electrical

if my boss is right we could book a easy 50 hour week and make a killing
Old 02-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Ma is going to have the highest labor in 2011 90 body 100 frame but I see that as a problem.. They are going to total alot of cars & not fix them. Yes its good for the bodyman but if they total everything then alot of bodyman will be without work. They need to higher it but not that much. I glad Im not in a shop anymore... I enjoy my summers off & every holiday too.. Plus snowdays.. The best part is a 35 hour work week..

Chief was a awesome job too but not as good as teaching.. I would go to different bodyshops every week to help them pull cars or whatever they needed to know about pulling from ME to FL..
Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i wish it would be 90 here for body labor, cars total out in a heartbeat here with the labor rates where they are now, ya know i still enjoy fixing cars im sure i will be doing it until i die
Old 02-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

whats the total loss threshholds there. Here is 75% of retail value. It includes tow bills, storage, and restraint systems, Some even take rental car into account to.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

whats the total loss threshholds there. Here is 75% of retail value. It includes tow bills, storage, and restraint systems, Some even take rental car into account to.
Same here..
Old 02-08-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm pretty sure that book time is about 16hrs to replace one side and thats just body labor.

Quick Reply: Rear quarter panels on the camaro