Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

VFN carbon sunoco is terrible quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it sucks that you got the hood in that condition. i'm not with vfn but im sure a company as big as vfn will not let this issue pass by without giving you the opportunity to resolve the problem. now im not saying your wrong but i would either take it to them, or ship it back so they can at least see it first hand. sometimes it's hard to evaluate defective products from a couple of pictures.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I wasn't trying to bash him really. Just struck me as yet another one of "those guys" so to speak. I was wrong, apparently. Sorry about that.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '02TA
Crimson was just setting Sparky straight for saying unecessary things about a fellow forum member. He did not bash you, and wasn't talking "smack" as you put it, just saying what's true. A company is only as good as their worst product and that hood looks pretty bad. It was uncalled for IMO for Sparky to assume that the OP was just out to bash VFN. If you'll notice the OP has not said anything really since you asked him to bring the hood in, except to post pics of it to silence people like Sparky. This leads me to think that he really didn't get any kind of answer or help over the phone from VFN or else he wouldn't have made this thread.

P.S. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any VFN product. I have seen them first hand and they are of very high quality but this particular one must have had something go wrong with it in production. That's all

True...the customer who complained has a reason to make the thread and complain...
But after we looked at the pictures and seen what he was talking about...we left him a message - which he never returned the call and then jumped on the board.

Fine...
That is okay and we are trying to work with him...but we have not heard anything from the customer again...so the decision is all in his court at this point.

Maybe Crimson was talking directly to Sparky...but he was also saying that we are not doing anything about the situation...and I wanted to set the record straight on that.
It is not his order, not his hood...and at this point, he does not know what is going on...

It would have been different if he's on a thread and giving constructive criticism or talking about the situation or lending a helping hand...instead it is an angry post that really has no business in this thread when we are trying to work with the customer...it just keeps things going.
I could even understand his comments if he made them PRIOR to me jumping on the thread to help the customer out...

Our products are great quality and we do our absolute best to help out our customers should they need anything.
I do not feel it's fair for someone to post up those type of comments by someone who does not use our products or has had any experience with our company. Especially after we said we would help him fix it....

I am not trying to start arguments here...but on the same hand we take complaints very seriously and always look for a resolution...constant complaining and bashing is not going to fix the situation...

Now with this hood....The main concern of his hood is the underside...
When we make carbon fiber here at our location...we do not hide the fact that this is not "cosmetic" carbon and instead race weight.
We make some of the lightest, strongest carbon (and glass) parts out there...but unfortunately carbon fiber is a little bit different to work with...different setups, different methods to make - including the area on his hood where the vaccum had to be attached - which is one area he is pointing out...along with some other resin voids that were made during the bagging process.
It is not cracked, it is not falling apart...these are normal for a very light weight carbon hood.
If anyone is familiar with working with carbon fiber...they would know it's not an easy task to make something flawless...and again, our guys have seen other products out there - we have had customers bring their hoods in for scoop installs, extra work done, etc... - if it were out of the ordinary for these things to happen in a carbon product..our guys would know it.

We explained this to our customer...he was not happy with our response...we regret that he feels this way and hope that he will bring in the hood so we can see what we can do for him and have another happy customer
Old 02-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Default Hood

They did not want to do anything as far as fixing the hood after i sent them the pics. They are now lying covering up the facts, i still have the ladys voice mail on my cell saying the new holes developing are from where they hook up the vacuum,but i told her they are just developing. Their " race weight" hood is still heavier than joe van o's regular carbon not his honey cone nomex. Now that this has tried to be covered up the way it has, i will say that i was told that they should stick with fiberglass because they don't have a clue on how to do carbon. I at this point after driving 80 mi. each way to get it would not consider wasting my time taking it back in. I just wish they would send me back my money and send a truck to pick it up. Then i can buy a quality piece!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

VFN is the shiz, I can't wait to buy my hood next month!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:21 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by fastbirds
They did not want to do anything as far as fixing the hood after i sent them the pics. They are now lying covering up the facts, i still have the ladys voice mail on my cell saying the new holes developing are from where they hook up the vacuum,but i told her they are just developing. Their " race weight" hood is still heavier than joe van o's regular carbon not his honey cone nomex. Now that this has tried to be covered up the way it has, i will say that i was told that they should stick with fiberglass because they don't have a clue on how to do carbon. I at this point after driving 80 mi. each way to get it would not consider wasting my time taking it back in. I just wish they would send me back my money and send a truck to pick it up. Then i can buy a quality piece!

I'm not understanding how we are lying here?
Everything that has been said on the message has been stated here...we did not change our story...we have absolutely no reason to.

However...we have not heard from you to correct this, which remains a key factor in getting things moving on this....
So PLEASE if you would like, give us a call at the shop so we can work on seeing what we can do with this hood for you.

If I have a problem with something I purchased...I'm speaking directly with that company to get things resolved....This thread is now about spinning wheels and not getting anything done.

Our number is 630.543.0232 Mon-Fri 8am to 4pm CST.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Your company wasn't going to do a thing about the hood until i started this thread. After all this hassle why dont you refund me my money? Ive already wasted way too much time money and effort over all this!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Enough!

This thread is is closed.

I will post up my reasons in a few, I have looked at the pictures. I have worked with the best carbon in the industry. The OP doesn't know what real carbon looks like.

If VFN Has offered to look at the product you need to let them. Otherwise you have NO BEEF.

Robin
Old 02-09-2010, 09:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok boys and girls this one is done.
I am always amazed when people who don’t know about product hit the rev limiter about things that do not know.
My best friend builds carbon fiber parts from the major pro stock chassis shops. He supplies wheel tubs, interiors as well as hood scoops and other Carbon Components. We work with each other so I have been around his business for 10 years. He has an oven as well as the vacuum bagging capabilities in his operation.
From the pictures posted those are marks left from the wrinkles in the plastic vacuum bag as it presses on the carbon during the curing process. It is part of the process. If Joe VanO’s hoods don’t have these then he is not vacuum bagging his products.
There appears to be a patch or an extra piece of carbon in one picture. If there is a distress during the layup process this is a standard procedure to insure the integrity of the part.
I have VFN Carbon Hood on My Nova as well as their fiberglass doors, fenders and deck lid. My hood has the wrinkle marks from vacuum bagging as do my carbon wheel tubs.

Robin

Quick Reply: VFN carbon sunoco is terrible quality