Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

VFN carbon sunoco is terrible quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010 | 09:22 PM
Teching In

Thumbs down VFN carbon sunoco is terrible quality

hood is cracking on the underside and all wrinkled from vacuum packing.I sent them pictures of the cracking and they said that was a hole from vacuuming but it just happened after having it for a couple months.If your thinking of buying a carbon hood, buy a van overbeek hood,for the same $ they are like jewelry compared to this garbage.Im supprised they put their name sticker on the hood.Im in the automotive restoration/performance business and this quality is not acceptable to anyone i deal with!
Old 02-04-2010 | 11:44 PM
TECH Veteran

so, they won't do anything to work this out with you?
Old 02-05-2010 | 08:19 AM
Teching In

Default Vfn

They had their secretary talk to me and skate around what was happening with the hood.She said we make high quality products,and i said this is terrible quality.I told her they might want to call van overbeek and find out how to do them without all the cracking and wrinkles, obviously if its starting to crack and break out it is not structurally sound.They are close to where i live so i went to pick it up,but for the same money i sure wish i would have ordered the overbeek jewelry hood and paid the shipping.Im posting this to try to have this same thing not happen to other people.Their products are very poor! BEWARE!
Old 02-05-2010 | 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

She wasn't skating around anything, those are NOT CRACKS.
There are areas on the bottom of the hood that have resin voids and wrinkles which are 100% normal when you vacuum bag carbon fiber. there is 700 lbs of pressure per square inch when you achieve ultimate suction, and between the soak up pad, the peel ply, and the carbon, it is pulled and forced into whatever shape or gaps it is going to be! That's it, whomever you buy from Van Overbeek, McAmis, Hairy Glass, VFN-anyone who makes true race carbon fiber this is what you'll get.

Imagine making a tie dyed shirt, expecting each piece to be identical. The ink travels where it wants to go.
Old 02-05-2010 | 10:04 AM
Teching In

Default vfn

They are cracks because they are just coming out now.I would have never taken the hood if it would have looked like the pics i sent you.the newest huge crack is by your "VFN" logo that i would be embarrassed for people to see if i were your co. BY the way joe van o hoods look as nice on the bottom as they do on the top they have no cracking or wrinkling that i have ever seen
Old 02-05-2010 | 10:11 AM
FormerVendor

Your local right?
bring your hood in so that we can look at it.

We are very familiar with Joe VanO's carbon products - we have had customers bring their hoods in for add ons and work.
Old 02-05-2010 | 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

post up some pics so the rest of us can see the "cracks"

Trending Topics

Old 02-05-2010 | 04:10 PM
12 Second Club

very interested....anybody had this problem with sunnoco hoods?
Old 02-05-2010 | 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't get people like this. They come on a site - with VFN as a sponsor and a number of happy customers, no less - and post up a thread like this bashing the company and quality, go on about how another company is so much better, yet without supplying any sort of pictures or proof of anything, just a rant with no substance

Oh, and poor grammar to boot (though I've seen worse). There is supposed to be a space between the period and the first letter of each sentence you know, it makes it much easier to read.

<shrug>
Old 02-05-2010 | 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

If you dont want you vfn sunoco hood ill gladly take it off your hands!!!!! :d
Old 02-07-2010 | 02:25 PM
Teching In

Here are the pics. I talked to joe van o and he told me that i need to sand the underside and lay some new carbon. He said you can vacuum sloppy or neat like he does. I will fix it and i will remove the "vfn" label. He also told me some things i wont say here. In the end i learned a valuable lesson here.
Old 02-07-2010 | 02:28 PM
Teching In

https://ls1tech.com/forums/album.php?albumid=14190

Here they are!
Old 02-07-2010 | 02:46 PM
10 Second Club

Smile

Originally Posted by fastbirds
wow that dose look bad.i have a c/f hood and dose not have anything that looks like that.how much was hood?.also what did vfn say/do after you showed them the pics?.
Old 02-07-2010 | 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Wow that looks horrible..
Old 02-07-2010 | 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

That sucks man.
Old 02-07-2010 | 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

I agree that does look bad. Do you have to add carbon to it or can you just fill that in with resin and sand it down?
Old 02-07-2010 | 05:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I don't get people like this. They come on a site - with VFN as a sponsor and a number of happy customers, no less - and post up a thread like this bashing the company and quality, go on about how another company is so much better, yet without supplying any sort of pictures or proof of anything, just a rant with no substance

Oh, and poor grammar to boot (though I've seen worse). There is supposed to be a space between the period and the first letter of each sentence you know, it makes it much easier to read.

<shrug>
soooo now that he posted pictures, what do you have to say? sponsor or not, there's nothing wrong with his rant, and letting other people know of his experience. especially when he contacted them prior to making this thread and got nowhere with them. who cares about what other people got, when you yourself get crap.

try not to ride the company so hard that you throw out anything other than praise directed at them.
Old 02-07-2010 | 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
soooo now that he posted pictures, what do you have to say? sponsor or not, there's nothing wrong with his rant, and letting other people know of his experience. especially when he contacted them prior to making this thread and got nowhere with them. who cares about what other people got, when you yourself get crap.

try not to ride the company so hard that you throw out anything other than praise directed at them.
I'm going to say he should have posted pics in the first place. Would have given his OP more credibility for sure.

I've been here long enough to see a number of people post crap about some company on here but with a lack of evidence, just because they were hating on the company/promoting another/being a troll/another company's shill/etc....

Seeing the pics now shows this isn't the case, but the original post sure sounded like yet another one of those. Just should have had pics to begin with, IMO. That's all.

I have no connection with VFN, I don't even own any of their stuff. I just know what the general opinion of their products and quality is, so when something comes along that totally goes the opposite of that trend (with not much to back it up to start with) I get suspicious really quickly.
Old 02-08-2010 | 08:58 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by crimson_bird

For one...this is not even your hood...so I'm not understanding why you are on here talking smack about the problem....

For two...there is absolutely nothing wrong with a customer complaining about our products - we do not shrug off complaints/problems and instead look at them as constructive criticism...if there is something that needs to be fixed...we take care of it.

Thirdly.....We asked the customer to bring the hood in to us....how is that "not getting anywhere with them?"
I'd say that is the very first step on getting anything done about the problem...rather then coming on the thread and still complain after the fact.
Old 02-08-2010 | 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vfntech
For one...this is not even your hood...so I'm not understanding why you are on here talking smack about the problem....

For two...there is absolutely nothing wrong with a customer complaining about our products - we do not shrug off complaints/problems and instead look at them as constructive criticism...if there is something that needs to be fixed...we take care of it.

Thirdly.....We asked the customer to bring the hood in to us....how is that "not getting anywhere with them?"
I'd say that is the very first step on getting anything done about the problem...rather then coming on the thread and still complain after the fact.
Crimson was just setting Sparky straight for saying unecessary things about a fellow forum member. He did not bash you, and wasn't talking "smack" as you put it, just saying what's true. A company is only as good as their worst product and that hood looks pretty bad. It was uncalled for IMO for Sparky to assume that the OP was just out to bash VFN. If you'll notice the OP has not said anything really since you asked him to bring the hood in, except to post pics of it to silence people like Sparky. This leads me to think that he really didn't get any kind of answer or help over the phone from VFN or else he wouldn't have made this thread.

P.S. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any VFN product. I have seen them first hand and they are of very high quality but this particular one must have had something go wrong with it in production. That's all

Last edited by '02TA; 02-08-2010 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply: VFN carbon sunoco is terrible quality