Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

roll on paint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Why is everyone pissing in this guy's cheerios? The fact-of-the-matter is that this method does in fact work. It's been reported on many times in many different magazines and technical articles. Just because you don't want to try it doesn't mean it doesn't work and it doesn't mean that it doesn't look good if done properly. Relax ya'll, our cars are not Christ reincarnate.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he had just posted pics & said "What do you think of the nose I just painted?" What would have been the responce without knowing HOW it was done? I think it looks good, my only concern is whats going on with those stripes?
Old 06-24-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackWS666
This sounds retarded. You must really hate your car if you are seriously thinking about rolling on paint. You would have better luck with a wagner power painter...... Someone please lock this thread so nobody actually considers trying this on their car
Oh no, everybody better listen to this guy cause obviously he read up on it and its not possible. Its just to bad you wasted your time. Good thing there are people like this on the internet who are willing to give you their brutally honest opinion even if they have no idea what they are talking about.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I swear I think I've read about 200 pages of different links on this process and it's really interesting. One of the points I saw was how airplanes are actually painted with a roller and that was interesting. Wish I would have saved all the links. Anyway, the original Mopar guy that did this to his charger did it because he didn't want to have to have a paint booth and wanted to take his time. That to me is the biggest pro of this process, you don't need a paintbooth or have to deal with massive overspray everywhere if you do spray without a booth. When I was a bit younger, I painted a car in the garage, and it wasn't fun with all the overspray (this was before HVLP). Lot of effort, paint everywhere in the garage and although it was nice in the end, I wouldn't spray anything ever again without some kind of booth. However, if i had access to a booth, I would paint myself, it's not that hard and you just need practice and some time.

So kudos for trying the roller and keep going!

Last edited by merim123; 06-24-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

to all the negative responses, youre just fueling my fire to do more.

to the positive input, thanks.

like said its a camaro not a ferrari. i dont have 500 bucks to have it repainted at the body shop. my bumper was already messed up and its an 8 dollar can of paint. what have i lost? even if it didnt work all i would have to do is take it to a body shop later.

Originally Posted by McNord@6LE
If he had just posted pics & said "What do you think of the nose I just painted?" What would have been the responce without knowing HOW it was done? I think it looks good, my only concern is whats going on with those stripes?
not sure what you mean. they are getting replaced soon. ive had them on there for about 5 years and the vinyl is starting to crack. theres also a dent in my hood i have to figure out something with.

Last edited by FL Junkie; 06-24-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP, dude do whatever you want, its your car. If you want to try to get a decent paint job this is NOT the way. It might look half *** for the first few months, but after washing it a few times, and it seeing the elements it will fade all to hell. Some colors more than others, but all do it. Im giving my brutally honest opinion saying that your car will look like **** even if you do this perfect. If you really are serious about painting your car I would be more than happy to help you along the way in anything you might need as far as recommendations on materials, techniques, or how to save money but still get a good job. Just please dont roll on paint your f-body.

Originally Posted by deelong4002
Oh no, everybody better listen to this guy cause obviously he read up on it and its not possible. Its just to bad you wasted your time. Good thing there are people like this on the internet who are willing to give you their brutally honest opinion even if they have no idea what they are talking about.
Guy, i do custom paint for a living. I do have an idea of what i am talking about. Your idea of a kickass car show paint job is probably not the same as mine. The downsides to this FAR outweigh the upsides.

I see this **** every day. Car guys willing to spend thousands and thousands on performance parts, motors, suspension ect.... But when it comes time to make their cars look nice, they want it done for as cheap as possible, and looking like glass. You cant have both. Ether you spend the money and have a REAL shop do a very highly detailed paint job. Or cheap out and roll some bullshit paint on your car and expect it to stay shiny, keep clean, and be durable. Yea you wont pay much, so dont expect much.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FL Junkie
to all the negative responses, youre just fueling my fire to do more.

to the positive input, thanks.

like said its a camaro not a ferrari. i dont have 500 bucks to have it repainted at the body shop. my bumper was already messed up and its an 8 dollar can of paint. what have i lost? even if it didnt work all i would have to do is take it to a body shop later.

not sure what you mean. they are getting replaced soon. ive had them on there for about 5 years and the vinyl is starting to crack. theres also a dent in my hood i have to figure out something with.
I ment were they going to continue onto the nose?
Old 06-25-2010, 01:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by McNord@6LE
I ment were they going to continue onto the nose?
yeah they will continue onto the nose. thats the way it was before i started.

like this(old pic)....

Last edited by FL Junkie; 06-25-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

To the OP, dude do whatever you want, its your car. If you want to try to get a decent paint job this is NOT the way. It might look half *** for the first few months, but after washing it a few times, and it seeing the elements it will fade all to hell. Some colors more than others, but all do it. Im giving my brutally honest opinion saying that your car will look like **** even if you do this perfect. If you really are serious about painting your car I would be more than happy to help you along the way in anything you might need as far as recommendations on materials, techniques, or how to save money but still get a good job. Just please dont roll on paint your f-body.

Guy, i do custom paint for a living. I do have an idea of what i am talking about. Your idea of a kickass car show paint job is probably not the same as mine. The downsides to this FAR outweigh the upsides.

I see this **** every day. Car guys willing to spend thousands and thousands on performance parts, motors, suspension ect.... But when it comes time to make their cars look nice, they want it done for as cheap as possible, and looking like glass. You cant have both. Ether you spend the money and have a REAL shop do a very highly detailed paint job. Or cheap out and roll some bullshit paint on your car and expect it to stay shiny, keep clean, and be durable. Yea you wont pay much, so dont expect much.
i respect your opinion, even though you were abrasive and rude getting it across. you can go cheap on certain things, other things no. this came out of necessity so i just tried it.

this guy used the same method as me...

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79mas...llarpaint.html

look at his yearly updates. the paint is still holding up and has not faded. just a little battle damage from rocks,etc. but what paint doesnt have that?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FL Junkie
.....this guy used the same method as me...

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79mas...llarpaint.html

look at his yearly updates. the paint is still holding up and has not faded. just a little battle damage from rocks,etc. but what paint doesnt have that?
I was actually about to quote that article as well. His is not the only one either as it's been recorded multiple times as having been very successful when done correctly. There's an old saying, "don't knock it till you try it."
Old 06-25-2010, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

Ya know not everyone wants or can drop $3k+ on a paint job. The roller method has been proven & proven to hold up over time.

Contrary to painters & popular belief you dont need to drop outragous amounts of money to get a good paint job.

Now if its a show car only, go ahead. But if its daily driven & tracked, do whats in your budget & **** people who knock you for not emptying the bank to paint your car.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

what sucks with our old cars is well...that they are old, and as far as I can tell, they are not collectible. Look at all the for sale threads...guys are dropping all kinds of money on performance and paint and they will never get that back. but for the guy that enjoys wrenching himself and enjoying the car, what's wrong with trying to paint, it's not some mystery. Maybe it is a mystery for show car finishes, but for daily drivers, I don't think it's a mystery.

hell take a look at what this guy did with his mustang hood rolling the paint on... scroll through and look at the pics in the sun

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=40341
Old 06-25-2010, 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

^^Yep.

But people who do paint for a living hate seeing results like that. If people just start sayin to hell with payin these outragous prices, I'm painting my own car at home that means less business for them.

They will almost always knock it unless its done in a shop. Especially online.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From what i can tell, this isnt a show car that the OP has dropped thousands on. This is his toy, or DD and he doesnt have $1k to have someone respray the Fascia. Why shouldnt he try this method himself, learn something and save himself a bunch of money? Would i paint a viper or a Zr1 like this? Absofuckinglutely not. Would I paint a high mileage F-body like this? You bet.
To come into this guys thread and completely tear him apart and claim it should be locked is ridiculous. Just because he didnt pay you big money for a "custom paintjob" doesnt mean his white F-body wont look better than it did before with rock chips and peeling paint.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Regular

I read that Mopar thread a few months ago. I think this is awesome and plan to paint something like this at some point. I don't see why people keep bashing the idea. If it looks like crap later, oh well you're out maybe $100 for paint and sand paper, then go pay real money for a better paint job, and then pay again when that paint job comes off because the body shop half assed it.....but that's a whole other topic
Old 06-25-2010, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

If you're going the rustoleum route, might i suggest that you spray it on rather than roller. It makes things so much easier, and it doesn't take 7-10 coats for coverage.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by t_raven
I read that Mopar thread a few months ago. I think this is awesome and plan to paint something like this at some point. I don't see why people keep bashing the idea. If it looks like crap later, oh well you're out maybe $100 for paint and sand paper, then go pay real money for a better paint job, and then pay again when that paint job comes off because the body shop half assed it.....but that's a whole other topic
Yeah it really seems hard to find a good body/paint shop. Either they are great, or they are terrible, there doesnt seem to be much in between.

Trouble is, the great shops know they are great and want BIG BIG money
Old 06-26-2010, 12:53 AM
Launching!

hell take a look at what this guy did with his mustang hood rolling the paint on... scroll through and look at the pics in the sun

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=40341[/QUOTE]

The mustang hood looks good, but he deffinately had some time in wetsanding and buffing and knew what he was doing. And i dont care what anybody says about the durability, its not going to hold up stay shiny unless its kept in the garage and never in the elements, the paint just dosent have UV protection, or you could just buff it every other week to keep it shiny. Ive painted i few things with rustoleum and it seems like it never dries!!
Old 06-26-2010, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ReggieWarrenJr
Ive painted i few things with rustoleum and it seems like it never dries!!
Thats because you laid it on too thick.

Thats why i would shoot it through a gun... You are also supposed to dilute it with mineral spirits to help aid drying. There is a very comprehensive thread on Honda-Tech.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ReggieWarrenJr
.....And i dont care what anybody says about the durability, its not going to hold up stay shiny unless its kept in the garage and never in the elements, the paint just dosent have UV protection, or you could just buff it every other week to keep it shiny.....
Never say never bro..... After three years it looks pretty shiny to me....

Quick Reply: roll on paint?