Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Smashed 99 Hawk

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 01:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Im glad that things worked out for ya. and did they not blend in panels that had been replaced? just curious
Old 09-08-2010, 01:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Np.. I'm glad you are asking because I'm not familiar with what I should be looking for or asking. Is it common practice for a body shop to blend in newly painted panels? If so, how do they do it? Without sounding like an idiot what should I look for when I pick up the car?

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
^ Im glad that things worked out for ya. and did they not blend in panels that had been replaced? just curious
Old 09-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Launching!

Hey guys here are a couple pics, they let me take a couple for you guys haha please excuse the poor camera phone pictures, but it gives you an idea.. looks much better than my first post of this thread.

Like I said in my previous post, if you guys can tell me any pointers to look for when I pick up the car, to ensure the job is A1, let me know please..
Attached Thumbnails Smashed 99 Hawk-firehawk-3.jpg   Smashed 99 Hawk-firehawk-4.jpg  
Old 09-08-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

say if its just your door that got hit and they had to replace it and repaint it.... they would take and sand your fender and prob your back quarter and try and paint all of that at one time to try and make the new piece look like the rest of the car without having to repaint the whole car in itself
Old 09-08-2010, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

I have been in the auto body business for 12 years.You never blend straight black. Its tough to hide the blend line on black.
Usually only Metallics, and solid colors with multiple toners ( like white, yellow, red) are blended. You would be amazed at the reds, blues and yellows that go into making different shades of white.

My only suggestion, is do not leave the body shop, with your car, unless you are 100% happy. If something is not right, even something little, let them fix it before you leave with it.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
say if its just your door that got hit and they had to replace it and repaint it.... they would take and sand your fender and prob your back quarter and try and paint all of that at one time to try and make the new piece look like the rest of the car without having to repaint the whole car in itself
Oh.. I understand now. Well the 1/4, rocker and door were replaced and painted. The front fender had no damage but was "blended". They also painted the hood because I noticed 1/2 inch scratch on the corner of the hood that was not there before the accident. They said they were going to put on touch up paint, but when I said that wasn't going to cut it, they were happy to repaint it.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:22 PM
12 Second Club

Damn that sucks, hope you get it fixed right.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

^^^Didn't read all the post. There is no need to blend black, when people blend paint they do it to color match, obviously no need on black. When they blend they only blend the base color, they should clear the whole panel.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:11 AM
Launching!

H
Originally Posted by black_sheep454
^^^Didn't read all the post. There is no need to blend black, when people blend paint they do it to color match, obviously no need on black. When they blend they only blend the base color, they should clear the whole panel.
Sorry when I said that they blended the fender, i was referring to them painting it to make that half of the car look uniform.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by strokerblackhawk
I'm assuming SLP no longer makes Firehawk decals?

Bummer about your Hawk cnd99hawk. Mine got wrecked by the dealer taking it out for a joyride when it was only less than a year old.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Launching!

Wow Rob94hawk, I would have lost my mind if a dealer did that.. they must have replaced the car though, which isn't too bad.

The body shop got my hopes up this week saying it was going to be done Friday (yesterday), but I guess they ran into a snag with the passenger side window. My understanding is that it goes up and down O.K, but for whatever reason it doesn't go all the way to the top? The guy who ordered the part said that he might have ordered a vert glass by accident, but isn't the car's glass the same for t-top or vert?

Anyway, if they fixed the glass on Friday, then they will be doing a huge clean up on Monday and I should have it by the end of the day. I have never seen my car as dirty as it is now lol.. Its so dusty it could be white!

Ohh, another question, how long should I wait to apply wax / polish to the newly painted panels? Is there such a thing as letting the clear coat cure?

Thanks
Old 09-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Launching!

^^ And, I ordered a set of door decals from Brent Franker, they look excellent. As stated in a previous post, the body shop had a set made as well and believe it or not they looked pretty damn good, but I know that Brent has a good reputation and a lot of people PMed me saying to order from him, so I decided to have his put on. I will hang on to the other set for the future.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

I would ask the body shop about how long before waxing, as it can very depending on the type of paint used, and the amount of solvents in the paint, but I would atleast 45 days.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LVZ2881
I would ask the body shop about how long before waxing, as it can very depending on the type of paint used, and the amount of solvents in the paint, but I would atleast 45 days.
Thx. The guys said a similar time frame as what you suggested, 6-7 weeks. So my car will be stored by then, so it looks like its getting waxed next year.

Soooo.. I hate to keep this going, this thread should have been finished a week and a half ago, but last week on (Thursday) they we're having some trouble with the passenger side glass. They ordered a new plain of glass on Friday and it went in nicely, I guess it was just bad glass. So that was the original set back, because the car was supposed to be done last Friday.

I went in yesterday and it was all cleaned up and ready to roll out, BUT when they were cleaning the car they noticed a small amount of metallic paint on the hood, so they decided to respray it (obviously). Then when they had the hood on the car, they seen a small spot on the drivers side left corner, near the headlight, where the clear coat "sunk into the hood" if you guys know what I mean? It's one of those things that you have to be looking from a certain angle to see. The paint almost looks flat in this area. The bodyshop foreman made a call to Dupont to see what can be done, because I guess they don't want to continue sanding down the hood, because its fiberglass. Anyway the moral of the story is I should have it back Friday at the latest. I mean everything is done except for this hood issue, so I am excited!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Okay guys this is LONG overdue, however when I got the car back from the body shop last year, I was getting ready to store it and didn't have a lot of time to do a good clean up job etc.

This year it has a slightly new look. I put on Koni's and Strano springs/sways etc...

In my opinion the shop did an amazing job and I can't thank my insurance enough for fixing it. It makes me sick seeing some of the threads on here from cars in the states getting totaled for such minor damage.

I was told by the estimator at the shop that the final cost was somewhere between $15-17,000. He didn't have an exact number because he had to crunch some numbers but it was in between those numbers. Here are some pics! Sorry my camera isn't the best, they're a little blurry but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails Smashed 99 Hawk-sam_0115.jpg   Smashed 99 Hawk-sam_0116.jpg   Smashed 99 Hawk-sam_0117.jpg   Smashed 99 Hawk-sam_0124.jpg   Smashed 99 Hawk-sam_0125.jpg  

Old 05-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Car looks awesome!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's crazy, looks brand new, glad you got it fixed.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

wow, looks good. I would be devastated if they totaled it tho
Old 05-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
That's crazy, looks brand new, glad you got it fixed.
Thanks man. Yeah I was pretty happy to get it back and majority of people are blown away that it was put back together so good. I'm fortunate.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's awesome.

Quick Reply: Smashed 99 Hawk