Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

cost to paint car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default cost to paint car?

hey guys i was just wondering about how much it would cost at a paint/body shop to paint a whole car? maybe someone could give me 2 different prices, one for just repainting the car the same color that is already on it & the cost for painting the car an entire different color. any help would be appreciated

oh and this is for a C6 Z06
Old 10-03-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you took it apart for the shop it would start around 3k and can go up to as much as you want to spend. it all depends on how good of a paint job you want, if you want the jambs painted or not.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$400 at maaco lol
Old 10-04-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Your looking at $2500(if you know the right people) but I say 5-6k.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Teching In

4000$ and up.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

same color $3kish

new color $5k+
Old 10-06-2010, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Best to stay with the same color! Trust me! Our paint jobs start out at 2k and go up after that depending on the bodywork that needs to be done and trust me there is bodywork thats gotta be done if your even considering a repaint
Old 10-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Banned

Say no to macco!!
Old 10-07-2010, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had this done at 1daypaint $400 http://www.madtuner.com/components/c...res/henryw.jpg
I did all the prep work this is like four years after

Last edited by henry172; 10-07-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on the quality of work you want done. My body guy is top notch in the midwest, and just so happens to be my brother's father-in-law Because he's practically family, and my friends and I bring him a lot of work he's always honest with us, and is known for his top-notch work.

When inquiring about my buddy's '96 cobra getting a full re-paint he quoted us around $7,000 for an estimate, and his quote was "That's doing it correctly, nothing crazy-just one color. It will be just as good if not better than the factory paint job."

It seems to me paint jobs arent something you should skimp out on, especially on a car like a C6Z.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did all the work on my car with a really good friend of mine. From driving the car as it was (silver) to the shop on friday afternoon, then driving the car back out (black) monday morning, it cost me about 1300 bucks in materials and to rent the shop for the time that we did. Of course, we had only 5 hours of sleep the entire weekend, but thats the cheapest ive ever heard of anyone doing a complete, multi-stage for. Good luck!
Old 10-15-2010, 11:56 PM
Teching In

I am looking to paint my car to. I am going to stick with the white and black. Any good body guys, please let me know location and we can set something up. thanks!
Old 10-16-2010, 03:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of numbers out there. Here is the thing that no body touched on. The cost is related to several things.
Body Work
Prep
Paint
Any color sanding
Clear
Any color sanding
Buff polish
All of this lends to the cost. Of course the better the actual paint, the more experiance the painter has, the more design you want the more money it costs.
Color changesare the most expensive. To do the job properly a shop needs to remove interior, hood, bumpers, hatchs, engine, doors, you understand. it is very intense. I always tell my customers if you want a color change try and figure out a design that incorperates you original color. You can keep engine bay and jambs. Otherwise pony up..lol
Old 10-16-2010, 03:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by freefallen.1
Lots of numbers out there. Here is the thing that no body touched on. The cost is related to several things.
Body Work
Prep
Paint
Any color sanding
Clear
Any color sanding
Buff polish
All of this lends to the cost. Of course the better the actual paint, the more experiance the painter has, the more design you want the more money it costs.
Color changesare the most expensive. To do the job properly a shop needs to remove interior, hood, bumpers, hatchs, engine, doors, you understand. it is very intense. I always tell my customers if you want a color change try and figure out a design that incorperates you original color. You can keep engine bay and jambs. Otherwise pony up..lol
Very true...

OP, where in Louisiana? I have a few painter friends and family around here that all do GREAT work. Truthfully, the best I know is also the cheapest (friend of my dads). I'm about to get him to paint my car, and he said no more than $2000 for pretty much anything I wanted, within reason of course, and thats including jams, color sanding, buffing, etc. I'm bout to have him paint it for me since it has a couple small areas that need touching up at least, plus my new Sunoco hood and 6LE bumper, so I'm just gonna have him paint the whole car. Going from NBM to Sonic Blue and its only gonna be about $1200 . He painted my dads 72 Elcamino SS over 20 years ago, and it STILL looks like it was just painted last week.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

off the side i start at 3k and go up
its also the cost of labor, removing of parts, reinstalling parts, body work labor paint labor, cost of material, if your already set up the cost of material might not be nothing i usally come out ahead im pretty much set up in my garage so the majority is all labor

if you do the work your self and it comes to me like that its still going to be the same, why??

what if the body work is shitty, what if gaps are shitty, i have to fix what you hacked up, i cant put my product over what you did and still give my warranty, if i did my warranty is null and void

so skimping out and doing the work your self is not always the best idea to save money, sometimes its the complete oppiste
Old 10-16-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i painted mine myself for under 1000 even bought a new gun and it was my first paintjob. took me a three days to sand down working on it about 15 hrs a day. the rest was simple prime, guide coat, sand, prime, guidecoat, sand, seal shoot and drink a beer its not hard to do at all, i still have to wet sand and buff but i think it turned out ok even got a few people wanting me to paint theres and so looks like ima paint a few cars now lol

heres a pic from two months after and in need of a washing

Last edited by RNation0001; 10-16-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RNation0001
i painted mine myself for under 1000 even bought a new gun and it was my first paintjob. took me a three days to sand down working on it about 15 hrs a day. the rest was simple prime, guide coat, sand, prime, guidecoat, sand, seal shoot and drink a beer its not hard to do at all, i still have to wet sand and buff but i think it turned out ok even got a few people wanting me to paint theres and so looks like ima paint a few cars now lol

heres a pic from two months after and in need of a washing

Dang! looks good. I painted my 67 firebird myself too, but definitely not the first paint job I had done. It's amazing how quickly you learn once you jump in and do it yourself though.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

As far as cost goes for a new paint job, 3-4K to have a shop do a good paint job is not out of the question. Depending on the shop, it may end up being more. Whatever you do end up doing though, make sure they color sand the car properly after the clearcoat has been sprayed. There's nothing worse than a nice new paint job with swirl marks all over it because they forgot to finish with a good swirl remover.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I work at a paint shop, if I didn't when I got my car painted, the cost of my paint job would've been in the neighborhood of $10k. You pay for quality...
Old 10-22-2010, 04:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tbird31
I work at a paint shop, if I didn't when I got my car painted, the cost of my paint job would've been in the neighborhood of $10k. You pay for quality...
Unless the car is going down to metal and getting a full custom tri stage paint or candy then its not going to cosy anywhere near 10k unless your Charlie Huton maybe..

I paint for a living and do a ton of airbrushing and have never charged 10k for a paint job. Wait thats not true RV, Bus, Semi come real Close. But a 4th gen...

Last edited by freefallen.1; 10-22-2010 at 04:39 AM.

Quick Reply: cost to paint car?