Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Not so good...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010 | 03:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Not so good...

So this morning a patch of ice decided it wanted to introduce Mr. Camaro to Mr. Guard-Rail...

How bad do you guys think it is? It drove straight the whole way home, no strange sounds other than my tire rubbing my fender, and the fact that it was leaking coolant pretty bad. The bracket that the radiator and headlights are mounted to is slightly pushed up on the drivers side. You guys think it will be back on the road, or put to rest? :-\

Old 11-09-2010 | 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Im sure you can come back from that. Off the top of my head, youll need new front quarter panel, fender well, bumper cover, headlights, corner lights, and radiator. Maybe a few more odds and ends. Doesnt look to be too bad, honestly.
Old 11-09-2010 | 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Im sure you can come back from that. Off the top of my head, youll need new front quarter panel, fender well, bumper cover, headlights, corner lights, and radiator. Maybe a few more odds and ends. Doesnt look to be too bad, honestly.
There is light damage to the rear fender as well, and back bumper. I called my insurance and they said it would be a free ride to get it fixed, no deductable fee, and my rates wont really go up other than my losing of the accident forgiveness. I still can't believe it happened!!!
Old 11-09-2010 | 10:21 AM
On The Tree

It's really not that bad but it all depends on the value that the insurance puts on the car as to whether or not they are willing to fix it for you or total it. That sux, good luck!!!! Fight with your insurance company to fix it if they say it's close to totalling.
Old 11-09-2010 | 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Or buy it back at auction and fix it yourself
Old 11-09-2010 | 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

No better time than now to get 6LE bumpers! When/if the insurance company wants you to get quotes, insist all GM original parts. That'll make sure you don't wind up with some shitty A/M parts. Then when you turn the car in for repair tell the shop you want certain other parts.
Old 11-09-2010 | 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Swiat34
No better time than now to get 6LE bumpers! When/if the insurance company wants you to get quotes, insist all GM original parts. That'll make sure you don't wind up with some shitty A/M parts. Then when you turn the car in for repair tell the shop you want certain other parts.
I think those bumpers look good, but I have dumps for exhaust and a rear bumper with the CME cutout and no chrome pipes would just look lonely to me haha. I'd consider doing the 6LE front bumper for sure though. All comes down to how much the insurance is willing to pay.
Old 11-09-2010 | 04:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RikkiTorment
I think those bumpers look good, but I have dumps for exhaust and a rear bumper with the CME cutout and no chrome pipes would just look lonely to me haha. I'd consider doing the 6LE front bumper for sure though. All comes down to how much the insurance is willing to pay.
E-mail me because I have ideas for you madelisle@yahoo.com
Old 11-09-2010 | 04:27 PM
Banned

E-mail sent
Old 11-09-2010 | 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Damn that sucks, looks like it will be ok though. That ice is pretty tough to spot at times.
Old 11-09-2010 | 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MR_M
Damn that sucks, looks like it will be ok though. That ice is pretty tough to spot at times.

Yeah, I swear it was the only patch of ice in Pennsylvania lol
Old 11-12-2010 | 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I took another picture with the hood down, found out the radiator is still in working order just one of the hoses is unhooked and looks to be torn. The mounting bracket that the headlight housings and radiator is mounted to is pushed up about an inch or so and is barely bent. I don't know if that really explains that much about the damage, and the back drivers side is slightly beat up as I teetered off of the guard rail... Anyways, here is the picture: more thoughts are welcome.

Old 11-12-2010 | 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did that fender break?? If not you might wanna try to remove or bend back what's holding that front corner in. Maybe a little heat from a heat gun will relax it back to shape...maybe. Would be a good thing so you can save some dough. Maybe remove the fender completely.
Old 11-12-2010 | 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The "frame horn" or fender rail looks bent. Definitely need to see if it can be pulled out, it may require a frame machine, otherwise you will never get the fender/hood to fit right.
Old 11-12-2010 | 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

that "bracket" that your radiator and and headlights are attached to is called a core support, if its bent like u say it is, than your gonna need a new one, and its not just a bolt on part. It will require a real body shop to be done right. My 2001 WS6 was wrecked back in 2006 (so it was only 5 years old with 40,000 miles) and it looked almost exactly like your accident. Well it got totaled out.
Old 11-13-2010 | 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TransWS6Am
that "bracket" that your radiator and and headlights are attached to is called a core support, if its bent like u say it is, than your gonna need a new one, and its not just a bolt on part. It will require a real body shop to be done right. My 2001 WS6 was wrecked back in 2006 (so it was only 5 years old with 40,000 miles) and it looked almost exactly like your accident. Well it got totaled out.
That really all comes down to my insurance. This is the first claim we've ever submitted in the 25+ years we've been insured by Allstate. Obviously they won't fix the car if I have multiple claims on the car because they'd be wasting their money if it is just going to be crashed again. I also found the "core support" for under $300 as well as an entire front clip for $1000.
Old 11-13-2010 | 12:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks similar to when my camaro got crashed into.. They totaled mine but I never let it get to auction.. I paid about 1k for parts but I'm not autobody guy so it don't line up perfect and haven't had it painted yet.. Fix her don't put her to rest!!
Old 11-13-2010 | 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by baalic
Looks similar to when my camaro got crashed into.. They totaled mine but I never let it get to auction.. I paid about 1k for parts but I'm not autobody guy so it don't line up perfect and haven't had it painted yet.. Fix her don't put her to rest!!
How much money did they give you for it?
Old 11-13-2010 | 05:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is the back of it.

Old 11-13-2010 | 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That quarter will definitely need to be cut off and replaced, I am about to go through the same operation, about $2500-3000 sadly.

Quick Reply: Not so good...