Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How is Mako's work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999transamls1
the use 55 gallondrum paint, thats why they are so cheap, and the golden rule in cars, you get what you paid for
never seen automotive paint come in 55gl drums but ok

The shitty maaco paint jobs you see are just that, $500 prep and paint specials. To paint your hood the RIGHT way you will have to blend it into the bumper and fenders, yes even if its solid white! and spend a few hours aligning and preping all the parts, do the math at $80-$100 an hour it comes out to be some money. Maaco does good work if you pay, but not what a custom shop will do for double the money

And BTW: I have painted for maaco. You cant beat experience when it comes to a GOOD painter, alot of those painters spray 3-4 cars a day and have been at it for years, difference is the 18 year old preper who gets minimum wage and has to put out 20 cars a week and the shitty materials used.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by l 95 Trans Am l
First off im not sure if thats how you spell it. But i plan on buying a ram air hood and it comes painted white and i thought i could take the hood to them and have them match it red. But ive never had work done by them. I was wondering if anyone on here did.
I had a decent job done once years ago then my parents took an s10 there n it looked like a six year old painted it they are ok at best for a beater
Old 12-26-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Well If you don't mind it looking possibly worse than it did going in there, by all means hit up maaco. I had an S-10 that actually came out looking WORSE than it did going in, and it WAS the expensive option they have.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by japsw20
never seen automotive paint come in 55gl drums but ok

The shitty maaco paint jobs you see are just that, $500 prep and paint specials. To paint your hood the RIGHT way you will have to blend it into the bumper and fenders, yes even if its solid white! and spend a few hours aligning and preping all the parts, do the math at $80-$100 an hour it comes out to be some money. Maaco does good work if you pay, but not what a custom shop will do for double the money

And BTW: I have painted for maaco. You cant beat experience when it comes to a GOOD painter, alot of those painters spray 3-4 cars a day and have been at it for years, difference is the 18 year old preper who gets minimum wage and has to put out 20 cars a week and the shitty materials used.
That's exactly the problem with macco; you need to prep it your self. I got mine done for $600 at a macco type shop and it is really nice. I just had the car towed yesterday. The truck driver thought I spent well over 1k for the paint job; he was shocked when I said 600, he thought I said 6k at first.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lemons12
Maaco has different options. They have paint jobs that an oat upwards of 3,000$. The main reason yiu get peeling fading etc is because of the cheap paint they use mixed with no prep, on the cheap jobs.
They do have people that know exactly what thy are doing.

With that said, if it were me I would find a reputable well known shop to do. I'm paying 6k to have mine painted when it is time. That is engine bay and all though and will look flawless. Worth it imo.
Right on...Get what you pay for with paint and body work.....
Old 12-27-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its dependent upon the individual location too

when I was in HS, I purchased a Mustang that had a month-old Maaco paint job on it and within a week it was flaking off of all of the urethane parts... clearly a bad prep. It was one of these $399/1yr warranty jobs so I took it back - the manager said he'd honor the non-transferable warranty in exchange for me doing my own (correct) prep which I offered anyway. The new paint held up beautifully for four years until I totaled the car and the insurance adjuster even added money for the 'recent' paint

this location here, I should add, I swear they hire high school kids and let the bus drop 'em off... "here's your rain boots, water hose, scotchbrite pad... start scuffing"