Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Jetstream Blue on a Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu .........there's really not much else to say, sorry about your luck bro...really hope you document everything real well incase you have to take them to court. A touch up isnt gonna do ****. Completely inexcusable I've never painted anything in my life but I couldve guaranteed you a better job with a rattle can and my 3yr doing the prep and masking.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I spent the last 2 days over at Dan's house buffing out the black 97 TA he just sold, and all I can say is I would NOT take it as nicely as he is. He's basically fed up with the people, which I can understand, but DAYMN they suck. Seriously worse paint job I have ever seen. SOOO much trash, runs, HORRIBLE body work. It's incredible these people are in business...
Old 03-04-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At first I just thought "well, maybe he didn't pay very much for the paint job, and that's just what you get--masking instead of disassembly" but when I saw that there was still white paint visible, huge chips in the spoiler and bumper, and the messed up fender... sheesh, you certainly didn't pay for that poor of finishing. Something is messed up at that shop. How much did you pay? Did they paint the engine bay and door jams?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I had a Camaro Z28 roller for sale on Craigslist and the owner of the shop emailed me, asking if I would barter paint work for the car. At first I said no and made it a point to him that I always said I would never get a paint job unless it was a quality job done right.

He said it would be an awesome paint job, quality, done right, etc. He said it was no big deal because it was just going to be his time and the cost of materials. He talked it up and made everything sound really good. He actually said "it will be like a $5,000 paint job." I thought that was probably an exagerration but surely didn't think it would be like this!

Basically I am out one car, and another car greatly devalued. IMO.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I would have held title until AFTER I agreed the paint job was worth it.. Or at the very least complete which it obviously was NOT when they were finished..
Old 03-04-2011, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Ha... that's a whole other story. I did. The guy sold my Camaro to some people that were looking at it when I had it on Craigslist. You know how I found out? They tracked me down and got a hold of me because he had told them the title was in the mail and he would send it when it got back to them. Well he was giving them the run around and they were getting no title from him. Then he wouldn't return their calls.

I took the Camaro down for him to see on Thursday January 18th. He wanted it so I left it there and took my Trans Am down on Friday the 19th. I went back down to check out the progress on Tuesday, several days later (he told my the project would be done in a week). I noticed my Camaro was gone (it was there on Friday) and I asked him where it was. He told me it was in storage at his other building, so it wouldn't be vandalized.

Turns out the TRUTH was that he had sold it sometime between Saturday and Monday.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Oh wow . Im sorry man . What a freakin nightmare. To the point a lawsuit might have to in order. That entire car is a absolute mess. I wouldnt even want that shop to correct anything, I woudl want them paying for another shop to do it. Plus there horrible work , just made it alot harder for the next person to paint it . They absolutely mangled the body line just behind the doors , its like gone almost ...omg !
Old 03-04-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

ouch... sorry to hear all that man, the color actually turned out pretty cool too =/ Good luck with follow up, and PS, if there was no bill of sale and no title turned over, the camaro is still yours. Could probably get him for theft on that at least.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fergymoto
Well I had a Camaro Z28 roller for sale on Craigslist and the owner of the shop emailed me, asking if I would barter paint work for the car. At first I said no and made it a point to him that I always said I would never get a paint job unless it was a quality job done right.

He said it would be an awesome paint job, quality, done right, etc. He said it was no big deal because it was just going to be his time and the cost of materials. He talked it up and made everything sound really good. He actually said "it will be like a $5,000 paint job." I thought that was probably an exagerration but surely didn't think it would be like this!

Basically I am out one car, and another car greatly devalued. IMO.
As a graphic designer, I get barter requests occasionally. Actually, I get a lot of people asking me for free work in exchange for "how great the exposure would be for my business." But that's beside the point... Something you should always remember in the future is this:

The person who wants to trade their services for your services or product, is NEVER going to give you as much value as your service or product is worth, otherwise they'd pay you in the first place.

That's the reason I never barter anything. Another problem is, if you don't have any money changing hands, how can you really take the person to small claims court or do arbitration? You really can't do that all that easily without any paperwork. It's just his word against yours and pictures of the work.

His service wasn't as he described it, because that doesn't look like a $5000 paint job to me. Technically, $5000 is beyond small claims court. I think the max for small claims is $2000. Not sure what is above that; probably actually suing, which would end up being more expensive than the $$$$ you actually lost.

If I were you... I'd probably have a discussion with a lawyer friend, find out what they think, and possibly try going to small claims and getting LESS THAN $2000. Go to another painter and ask them how much it would cost to fix, and if it's under $2k, see if you can use that person's written estimate in court. The cost of taking somebody to small claims is around $150 to $200 if I remember right, so you'll be out that amount of money no matter what.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow that guy fucked you. I'd take him to court
Old 03-04-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

you can take him to court, and he'll say he'll fix it in court, and you turned it down. it won't end well and you get screwed and potentially spend more cash. slap something stock in there and sell it and put all your nice stuff in a new roller. it sucks man, no good outcome here.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

BLUE WITH WHITE STRIPES!

Viper blue is the best blue, in my humble, humble, opinion.

EDIT:

Sorry didn't read whole thread.

That paint job is horrible bro. I am very sorry your situation. That's horrible work. It would be acceptable for a high school students HOME job on his rusted out tempo.

Last edited by Ghostintheshell; 03-04-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tbird31
I spent the last 2 days over at Dan's house buffing out the black 97 TA he just sold, and all I can say is I would NOT take it as nicely as he is. He's basically fed up with the people, which I can understand, but DAYMN they suck. Seriously worse paint job I have ever seen. SOOO much trash, runs, HORRIBLE body work. It's incredible these people are in business...
My buddy just bought that 97. Looks like you did a good job!

And Fergy that color is badass! just get that touched up and it's sex
Old 03-04-2011, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

Now you see why I didn't want to sell the 97 Tim

Travis did a hell of a job!
Old 03-04-2011, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

The first pic looks great!!!!

The only problem is it goes down hill fast after that. I really hate to hear and see this as I was excited to see the finished product and you obviously did not get that! Sorry man!!!
Old 03-05-2011, 02:55 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Is that single stage paint?
Old 03-05-2011, 06:09 AM
12 Second Club

Nope. It's base/clear. All the runs are in the clear coat
Old 03-05-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fergymoto
Nope. It's base/clear. All the runs are in the clear coat
Well that could be fixed with wetsanding..right?

Totally sucks about your paint but fix it and it will look mint.

I have a black lt1 car...dime a dozen.

From ten feet your car looks sick.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In all honesty man, contact a lawyer. You're in a sticky situation having not used legal tender to pay. I'm still not clear, and I may have rushed through it, but do you still have the title for the Camaro? If so, file a stolen vehicle report and get it back.

Not to be rude, but a $5000 color change is on the low side for a quality job, you're looking at $7-10k for a good color change, but that's neither here nor there. The job you got looks like a $1000 job, not a $5000 job. The color choice and car, from 10ft, look absolutely wicked, but obviously the details fail to deliver.

I would contact a lawyer Monday and have them take it from there, don't try to barter anymore with this clown.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Anything used in a barter is legal tender.. You could use monopoly money if all parties agree, legal tender only applies to the government recognizing it as tender which of course the only accept moneys .. But private party to private party its irrelevant. And the car being sold unlawfully is another thing entirely.

Op has a legitimate reason for not wanting this shop to touch the car again due to the apparent body damage. If it was just paint I think a judge would see that but with all the body damage FROM THE PAINTER I wouldn't let them touch it again Eaither..

I've bookmarked this thread.. Very curious as to how it turns out.. Fwiw it is a nice color.

Quick Reply: Jetstream Blue on a Trans Am