Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Broken Radiator Support how to replace??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Broken Radiator Support how to replace??

i got in a accident about a month ago, and the crash beam is not bent at all the foam is still 100% fine, the Ford Rangers tow hitch hit my pass side light housing area on my Trans Am, so most of the damage is to the radiator support, how do i go about replacing that?

it looks like there are many spot welds, can i just drill them out pick up one of these on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...Q5fAccessories

and get it welded back in place? any opinions?
Old 02-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Launching!

take it to a body shop for estimate.

Last edited by formula vincent; 02-09-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

first off just by your post your not a tech and have no experience, so please do not attempt this by your self

just by what i just read your cars core support might be twisted pushed down pushed to one side, what if its hit hard enough that the upper rails are kinked, lower aprons are buckled, then what do you do huh??

why attempt something of this caliber when youo have ZERO experience is beyond me, if the core support is not that bad a good tech can and will fix the core support and youo will never know it was fixed

but that takes yrs of experience and yrs of experience on a frame rack, can you work a frame rack and read frame dimensions know where and what points to measure do you know what i-car says about frame measuring and the MM`S of tolerance that i know i use

its not just cut it off and slap on new metal, car has to be be prepulled, measured, look for other damaged structual parts as mentioned above, and ya think welding is that easy??? its really not, takes yrs to know what your welding, how to fine tune a welder what metal and how thick the metal is to weld on

what to use before you weld, and the dry fitment of parts before you weld, ya always always dry fit parts before ya wled anything on bet ya didnt know that now did ya

so as you see its not that easy this is and can go into a week of work for a experienced tech like my self for you the unexperienced it will turn oout in disaster

just being honest
Old 02-07-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bdyman
first off just by your post your not a tech and have no experience, so please do not attempt this by your self

just by what i just read your cars core support might be twisted pushed down pushed to one side, what if its hit hard enough that the upper rails are kinked, lower aprons are buckled, then what do you do huh??

why attempt something of this caliber when youo have ZERO experience is beyond me, if the core support is not that bad a good tech can and will fix the core support and youo will never know it was fixed

but that takes yrs of experience and yrs of experience on a frame rack, can you work a frame rack and read frame dimensions know where and what points to measure do you know what i-car says about frame measuring and the MM`S of tolerance that i know i use

its not just cut it off and slap on new metal, car has to be be prepulled, measured, look for other damaged structual parts as mentioned above, and ya think welding is that easy??? its really not, takes yrs to know what your welding, how to fine tune a welder what metal and how thick the metal is to weld on

what to use before you weld, and the dry fitment of parts before you weld, ya always always dry fit parts before ya wled anything on bet ya didnt know that now did ya

so as you see its not that easy this is and can go into a week of work for a experienced tech like my self for you the unexperienced it will turn oout in disaster

just being honest
+1 I'm not a body man, but my Father and 3 uncles are. and bdyman is 100% right
Old 02-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Launching!

i second that bdyman .. i work in a body shop too.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool man, i just dont get why people think what we do is so easy its mind blowing
Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bdyman
cool man, i just dont get why people think what we do is so easy its mind blowing
Because everyone on TV can re-skin a car in under 30 minutes
Old 02-09-2011, 11:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

they rebuild a rust bucket on tv in a hr
Old 02-10-2011, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude sold the car, he had his hope's up until he read your replies lol

Quick Reply: Broken Radiator Support how to replace??