Painting some interior parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting some interior parts

So I want to paint several pieces of my interior trim
ie:
Door handles, Door handle back plate (with the light for door switches), the door switch panel, and the trim bezel I painted back when I did a double din conversion.

The only problem is that what I have envisioned I don't know if I can pull off (at least with my current knowledge ), I want to get a 'hard gloss' as if it wasn't paint, but that color plastic, nice and smooth, mirror like piece of plastic/glass/whatever.

I saw one of my friend's firehawks had this done (in red, I'm going for a gloss black) if you need pictures to aide in the sort of sketchy description I gave.

Simply: I'm going for a very glossly, mirror like black on these plastic pieces.
Yes I know about sanding too

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt.....
Old 02-23-2011, 03:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be able to get away with hitting them with a sandable primer to smooth out the texture on the panels. Basically like a car exterior, scuff, primer, sand, clean, paint, clear coat & buff.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah basically your gonna need to sand the panels smooth then follow a generic step guide like what big mike has said. Should work out, but there is obviously more to it than that and its not an area im totally familiar with.

In the camaro/trans am interior threads there was a picture of someones interior and he had done this same thing. Pretty sure he said he sanded his panels smooth and then primed and painted.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:17 PM

I did the exact thing in my pick -up. First i scuffed the piece up as much as possible. Then hit it with some " High build Primer ". Added coats of the high build until i had a smooth enough surface to sand and paint. After paint be sure to stack up on the clear so you can wet sand the crap out of it. Done! Good luck. Im no body man, its just the way i did it
Old 02-23-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A "decent" finish is possible with rattle cans as long as you spend the time on the prep work, but the hard gloss you are talking about might not be. If it where me, i would sand the pieces smooth, and basically get it ready to spray some color on it, then i would stop by a body shop and ask them to spray them black for me next time they are painting a black car, obviously it won't take that much paint. They might not charge you very much to spray and clear them if all the prep work is done. of course this all depends on the body shop, id just call around, i bet there is a shop near you to do it for a decent price, and you will have a much nicer "mirror" "hard-gloss" finish than if you used a rattle can.

Last edited by TransWS6Am; 02-23-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't use rattle can paint if you want the hard gloss look. It's possible to get a decent shine out of spray paint, but it won't last once the car starts being used. Get someone with body shop knowledge to help you spray a nice base/ clear on all of it, then buff it out and wax it.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Whistler
Don't use rattle can paint if you want the hard gloss look. It's possible to get a decent shine out of spray paint, but it won't last once the car starts being used. Get someone with body shop knowledge to help you spray a nice base/ clear on all of it, then buff it out and wax it.
mmkay.. thank you
Old 02-26-2011, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Hey man, I painted some interior pieces in my 2000 Mustang (yeah i know, i'm ashamed to say i owned a mustang). I had a local shop mix up 2 rattle-cans of House of Kolor "Metero Maroon II"(cost me like 70 bucks) , hand sanded the pieces with fine grit until it was smooth( took like 2days until I considered it done), then finished each piece with 5 layers of clear(bought from autozone). I loved the way they turned out, looked like custom handmade fiberglass pieces!!!! I wish I had some pics of them so I could post 'em but currently deployed and all my pics are back home.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the parts you mention and others done and they are smooth like glass, to see pics, see my gallery or my fquick link. If interested pm for details.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP: I did exactly that in my Firebird. Be aware that there are different types of plastics and they act differently when sanded. The softer plastics like the A-pillars only scratch when sanded. I don't recommend trying to smooth and paint any of that same plastic. The hard plastics will sand out fine. I started with 320 grit dry to get most texture off. A coat of "Filler Primer" followed by 400 grit wet sanding and a coat of Sealer Primer over that. I, in fact, used the Duplicolor automotive rattle cans and it turned out AWESOME. After the black, apply many coats of clear since the parts will get touched often. Wet sand the clear with 1000 Grit and 2000 grit, then buff with rubbing compounds (by hand and get bottles of course and fine). Keep the parts waxed and clean and they'll look like glass for a long time! Mine are 3 years and going strong! I advise letting the clear cure for 2 weeks before you wet sand it. Good luck and have fun!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wonder what a self etching primer would do to smooth them out. I did that on my stock wheels when i repainted them and loved the outcome. Just a thought.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Teching In

i did this in my old firebird, the thing with painting the interior is...it looks cool for a while, but after a few months, i sort of wish i left it at the original color. don't do to much !
Old 02-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Teching In

one thing and the main thing no one has mentioned and is the most important is the panels/Plastic must be cleaned very well before sanding, i use brake cleaner when i do wheels and metal pieces, but for plastic i would use alcohol or a water based wax and grease remover. I use TSP(Trisodium phosphate) on plastics.
because of the new EPA Standards and rules you can get most painting supplies in rattle can, if you have a finishmaster in your city you can get filler primer black and clear in a rattle can that is shop grade.
etch primer only if it is a chrome or metal part
and do not use any grit more coarse than 320 on plastic