Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting Hood and bumper, this quote sound right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Painting Hood and bumper, this quote sound right?

Well I bought a WS9 hood for my car about a month ago and I'm looking to get it painted. They're going to line it up a little better, prep it, paint it, and also respray my front bumper because there's some clear coat is coming off. To do that they quoted me right at $850. Does that sound fair?

Here's some pics of what it looks like now. You can also see in the first pic that there's a bump on the driver's side nostril. It wasn't there when I got the hood but after driving it around and putting heat to it showed up. Is that normal? They said it wouldn't be any problem to fix it, I'm just worried that after I get it painted it'll happen again.
Attached Thumbnails Painting Hood and bumper, this quote sound right?-trans-am1.jpg   Painting Hood and bumper, this quote sound right?-trans-am7.jpg   Painting Hood and bumper, this quote sound right?-trans-am5.jpg  
Old 03-23-2011, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't make out what condition your front bumper is in w/ the light exposure in those pics, but it doesn't look to me like you NEED that to be painted.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

It is kind of hard to see in those pics, but it's got a couple big spots over on the other side I didn't get in the pics. They're not huge yet, but they are getting bigger.

I could probably get by without getting it painted for a while, but the car is in excellent shape and it's going to be getting work down now so I was going to go ahead and get it out of the way. If I skipped the front bumper it would knock about $300 off.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

word. well the price seems fair for a professional paint job. Get the side markers filled in!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

That's reasonable. Fair price I'd say.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats only 50 more than I was quoted to get my whole front cap painted with a new hood (hood, bumper, headlights, fenders)
Old 03-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

I would say that seems fair. Like trans am jam said it definitely does not look like it NEEDS to be painted from the pics.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

The pics don't really show what I'm working with. It's got clear coat peels all over it, when I took the pics I had just knocked all the peeled edges off so it didn't look as bad. If you look in the red circle you can see a peel spot, it's got about three of those about the same size on the front bumper. In just a couple weeks after this pic it's already getting those white clear coat edges again.

I dropped it off at the shop yesterday. They said it should be done either tomorrow or thursday
Attached Thumbnails Painting Hood and bumper, this quote sound right?-clearpeal.jpg  
Old 03-31-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man, whoever painted that hood did a terrible job. $850.00 isn't bad as long as they know what they're doing and they warranty their work. Get it in writing too.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

In those pics it's unpainted just as it comes from VFN. I'm picking it up from the shop in about ten minutes, should have pics tonight. I tend to have bad luck when other people work on my car so I've got my fingers crossed.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

850 is rough. I would check out some more places
Old 03-31-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Well it turns out they didn't have it ready today after all and with my work schedule it'll probably be Monday before I can pick it up.

Originally Posted by kcs02ta
850 is rough. I would check out some more places
I checked a few places and that was the lowest one I could find around here

But the $850 isn't just the cost of getting the hood (top and underside) painted and alighned. It also includes painting the front bumper and removing a few door dings I have on both sides of the rear fender. I think it's still a little steep but they do good work and it's what I have to work with.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$850 is a good price.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$850 is a very fair price to have it done correctly and professionally.

Sure, you could find somebody to do it cheaper, and it even might look as good side by side with the $850 job...but it probably wont in a couple years...

There are some real cheap dumbasses out there...you get what you pay for...pay for it to be done right the first time and you won't regret it
Old 04-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MasterTomos

Sure, you could find somebody to do it cheaper, and it even might look as good side by side with the $850 job...but it probably wont in a couple years...

There are some real cheap dumbasses out there...you get what you pay for...pay for it to be done right the first time and you won't regret it
I totally agree
Old 04-07-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MasterTomos

The body shop I took it to has been around town for over 15 years and family run, father passed it down to his son kind of place. When I called to ask for a quote they asked what time worked best for me and drove over half an hour one way to meet me on my lunch break to look at the car. They were very nice and respectful (yes sir no sir), which goes a long way with me considering the demeanor of other shops I've dealt with. They also guarantee their work for a lifetime so I feel like it'll be handled right.

I've been working 6 12s for the past couple weeks but I should get a chance to pick it up around lunch time today. We will have pics!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Awesome...can't wait to see pics! And that definately sounds like the kind of shop I'd want to take my car to!
Old 04-07-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Got her back!!! She's looking very nice, the sun was a little too much for my Blackberry camera so the pics are a little washed out. They were able to line the hood up much better and I can't even tell where the door dings were. Very happy with how it turned out

Damn this sun, I need a better camera
Old 04-07-2011, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

lookin good Gotta update the profile pic now! what brand hood was this?
Old 04-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

Glad it turned out nice for you.

Quick Reply: Painting Hood and bumper, this quote sound right?